BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #23
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

yeah, BMWs are a funky breed. Some dealerships are snobs. You have a 23 y.o. kid, which means you are 40+. How could anyone refuse you? I AM 23, and since I drive an X5, I get approached before I leave my car.

Maybe its Jersey (the second largest Bimmer-land in the country) but that is harsh. If I was judged to my face like that, I would probably explode. That is probably why you are better off than me however.

It feels a lot better when you find a dealer you like when this stuff happens. Plus, being bitter makes you a better negotiator!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 06:55 AM   #24
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS-F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGams View Post
Plus, being bitter makes you a better negotiator!
+1

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #25
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS-F

Not a good week for BMW on the interweb.

They made 2 out of the top 5 posts for the week at Consumerist. Of course, my bitching was very small potatoes next to the ///M3 eBay debacle which went absolutely viral.

http://consumerist.com/373352/top-posts-of-the-week

Gargoyal, IMHO you are partly correct. BMW has their branding thing down but needs to figure out a way to get their NA dealers to toe the line with respect to customer experience. There are still too many players out there who really believe that the "douche factor" is serving them well.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #26
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Thumbs up

I just completed an order from BMW of Columbus and it has been a pleasure throughout the entire process. I have done it all over the phone and e-mail, so maybe a difference experience is to be had when going in person, but my communication with my CA has been great.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #27
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

How ridiculous. I can't blame you for walking out.

I have had positive experiences from taking test-drives at three Pittsburgh-area dealerships -- P&W, Sewickley, and Rahal. P&W even let me test drive several vehicles without supervision. They're very low-key there.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #28
Squidbilly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

With the economy in bad shape and BMW sales down by 30-40%, it's amazing that a dealer would risk losing any sale, even a keychain.

I wore faded jeans, an old T-shirt, and sneakers to the BMW dealership just to see how they'd treat me. I'm glad to say I was treated just as well as a guy in a suit buying a 7-series on that day.

I would have bought a Lotus Elise a year earlier had the dealer not treated me like scum and insisted that I make an appointment to test drive the car. I had driven 300 miles to see a specific car they had in stock and they practically pushed me out the door...how stupid could they be?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #29
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

It's interesting what you can learn on-line. I live in Lexington, SC which is outside Columbia. I have not visited the Columbia SC BMW dealer but probably will soon. I looked at a 128i convertible at the Gwinnett, GA dealer and was treated very well. I was visiting my daughter who lives in Duluth (near Gwinnett) and we had some time to kill so we went out looking at convertibles. I told each dealer I would not be buying right away but was starting to think about it. I went to a Mazda dealership and test drove a Miata (fun car but too small for me (I'm 6' 2") and too little trunk ******* even though I didn't really ask to. I went to a Lexus dealer to sit in a 250is to see if I had enough space - I did not. They are supposed to have a hard top convertible soon but I think the motor of the 250 is too small (2.5l six) and the 350 is too much plus unless they add head room, I do not fit. The Lexus deal was noticably disinterested as soon as I said I would not be buying right away. Not rude but not overly helpful either.

Last we went to United BMW of Gwinnett. They had a nice 128i in the showroom and all I asked was to sit in it (to check headroom). The kids and I were dressed decently but nothing special. The CA was extremely nice, lowered the seat for me, showed me how the top worked, opened the trunk, etc.. Then she almost insisted we test drive it. Moved the front seat way forward so my daughter was comfortable in the back. Another CA kept my son occupied. We took their normal several mile loop and even though it was an automatic (they didn't have a manual) I was impressed by the car. Terri also insisted on giving me the convertible brochure that is about 40 pages - BMW is smart to have these, at least for me. I am an engineer and would much prefer to read than talk.

Now I need to decide sport or regular seat (leaning to sport), white or the medium grey outside, leather or leatherette, black or wood inside, etc.. I also want to drive a manual. Columbia may not work for this but I will probably still try them. If I can buy something that I like for $35K or less, at it appears I can, I'll probably get it.

If you ever go near Gwinnett, or if you want to try getting a price by email, I would contact "tpoff@penskeautomotive.com" or call them at 770-622-8326. I will probably take possession at the test track near Greenville so where I buy it makes little difference and I was treated very well at this dealership. They did not have a huge inventory but they were really nice to talk to. I have gotten follow-up letters and emails but nothing pushy.

I negotiated prices this week and ended up getting the best deal - both price and delivery - from BMW of Columbia. When I went in for my appointment to buy - after negotiating price over the internet - I had to literally get somebody out of their office to be waited on. After I got their attention, however, they were fine. No messing around, they sold me the vehicle for what they quoted with no negative remarks or attempts to up sell. If you are nearby and in the market, I would ask them for a quote by internet. If you are just looking for a test drive, I still think they are not a great place to visit.

Jim

Last edited by JimD; 05-22-2009 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #30
Lexington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Blue Water

I live in Lexington also. Although I did not purchase my 135 from Columbia BMW, I did a Military Sales purchase while in the desert, Columbia BMW assisted with arranging my Performance Center Delivery and I ordered some accessories for installation at the Performance Center thru them. I always found them helpful and very polite. The sales associate I've dealt with is Bruce B., he is a BMWCCA member, and has been very helpful anytime I stop by even if it is to just talk cars and I usually show up in my old pickup truck.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #31
skddmorse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Winston Salem..... Flow BMW.... That is were I bought mine and were I will bye my next one....