BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-09-2009, 01:04 AM   #1
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E8

Snow chains, audio and GPS questions

Hi guys, haven't even ordered the car yet but been reading/lurking here everyday since my initial post

A few more questions if you don't mind!

- Snow chains for the 135i. I spoke to a dealer @ Melbourne BMW about this and he said he can get me onto someone, but frankly I have a feeling he has NFI. Anybody know if there will be clearance issues with snow chains? The Autosock would be great but I don't think we're allowed to use them here in Aus. I make regular trips up for snowboarding during winter, and it would be great if I can drive up in cases where it's the only viable alternative.

- Looks like I'll go with the standard audio option, and then taking my car to Phatt Audio in Braeside for some aftermarket stuff. Does anyone have any experience with them? They were recommended by a friend. Any other recommendations for aftermarket stuff for BMW/Euro cars?

- Business GPS or Pro GPS, which would you get and why? I figured I'd like to have I drive in my car, and have BT for my phone. In terms of BT connectivity, are there any differences b/w the two?

Thanks again for any inputs!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 01:36 AM   #2
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia
Rep
Drives: Blue

To quote page 108 of the owners manual.

"Only certain fine linkchains have been tested by BMW, classified as safe for use and recommended. BMW Service is able to provide you details"

I was told that the 135i could not be fitted with any chains (by the dealer) and with many years of snow experience I would doubt there is clearance for normal chains as supplied by ski shops in country towns. Thats why I also have a Subaru!
      09-09-2009, 02:42 AM   #3
CT135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2009 135i Coupe  [0.00]
These are in the latest Accessories list - BMW snow chains for RFT: http://accessories.bmw.com/internet_...&absoluteNav=2
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

BBK would be the person to speak to re aftermarket audio. He's on his honeymoon though..??
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
As for the bluetooth, you don't need iDrive for that. The car comes standard with bluetooth connectivity, and it works brilliantly.

However, having iDrive certainly makes using bluetooth much prettier and possibly easier to use.
      09-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

You dont need snow chains. Last winter I ran a set of Pirelli 240 Sottozeros on my stock 18" wheels. I was at a friend's house and got stuck in a half meter snow fall. I drove my way through the unplowed snow about 30 Km home. The 1er drove through the snow like a champ and so long as I had a gentle foot I didnt spin the rear tires.

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
Australia
Rep
Drives: Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
You dont need snow chains. Last winter I ran a set of Pirelli 240 Sottozeros on my stock 18" wheels. I was at a friend's house and got stuck in a half meter snow fall. I drove my way through the unplowed snow about 30 Km home. The 1er drove through the snow like a champ and so long as I had a gentle foot I didnt spin the rear tires.

Snow chains are a legal requirement in the Australian snowfields.
      09-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by qship View Post
Snow chains are a legal requirement in the Australian snowfields.
Ok then. I know in the States that snow chains are sold through the parts department. 1er specific ones are in the cataloge.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E8

Well just an update for those that are interested:

I've been doing my research on snow chains for 135i. The autosock is approved for AWD/4WD use in NSW, but that's about it. There may be approval for 2WD and Victorians for next season, but I wouldn't hold my breath with the amount of bureaucracy that goes into getting these sort of approvals.

The best alternative to performance cars with snow chain clearance issues seem to be the following:

http://www.rud.com/en/produkte/schne...ntrax_pkw.html

that is available from:

http://www.roofcarriersystems.com.au/snow-chains/

Just a FYI more than anything else .

edit:

This will also be available as of next month apparently! http://www.rud.com/en/produkte/schne...kw/hybrid.html
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
CT135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2009 135i Coupe  [0.00]
thanks for the FYI. haven't made it to the snow this year, so hopefully this will be available for next season. (although I could just take the fiance's CX-7)
Appreciate 0