BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-17-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
TN_1er
Rep
Drives:

US bound 135i's in Oct/Nov

Stopped by the dealer today to once again compare possible 1er colors in the daylight (making the decision on which color to get is an exercise in futility) and talked to my CA. He said that BMW NA plans on sending over 2 (and only 2) Euro Spec 135i's for dealers to use for promotional purposes sometime in October/November. He said they would be contained primarily to California and NY but that a couple (and he said literally, a couple) dealerships may get them for events or special functions. He is trying to get one of the two for an event upcoming at BMW Nashville in late November and will let me know as soon as he gets confirmation from the manager that BMW NA has approved the use of the promo car. He was informed they would likely be the same cars that were shown at the BMW NA press release.

So.....I am excited, to say the least, at the potential to see this bad boy in person a little early:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

That's very interesting. Sounds like your dealer is very up on things BMW.
Lucky for you and those in California and New York.

A point that hasn't been raised is how many 1-ers will be making the US car show circuit from this fall and winter after its US debut in Los Angeles,
or if that's even planned? I'm sure that everyone of us would love to see the car in person before it's arrival in dealer showrooms.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I wonder if that number isn't more than one or two cars - I would almost suspect there'll be a B-list gathering of journalists in the US in that time frame - figure west coast LA area.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 09:15 PM   #4
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
I wonder if that number isn't more than one or two cars - I would almost suspect there'll be a B-list gathering of journalists in the US in that time frame - figure west coast LA area.
Funny you mention that Hugo, I was just wondering if I have the energy to try and figure how many 1-ers could fit into a cargo 747.
More than 2 for sure...
so logically, logistically, to alleviate all kinds of scheduling cross-country nightmares I'd load that jumbo-jet up with 1-er goodies and spread the love.
:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

They'd come by boat and then use covered specialty over the road transport. But we should be seeing some leaks soon from 'journalists' in Europe - it's awfully close to deadline for a 'November' magazine issue.

But a pure cargo 747? Hmmm - using dollies to place them sideways? Hmmm - my guess 70. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 10:18 PM   #6
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
They'd come by boat and then use covered specialty over the road transport. But we should be seeing some leaks soon from 'journalists' in Europe - it's awfully close to deadline for a 'November' magazine issue.

But a pure cargo 747? Hmmm - using dollies to place them sideways? Hmmm - my guess 70. :biggrin:
Max Payload for a 747-400F is 148,716 lbs, so it would be probably be closer to 45 just based on weight. Taking into account the car's dimensions, it would be even less than 45. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2007, 12:10 AM   #7
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Since you can sign up for meet the 1 event on bmwusa I wonder if these are the same cars that are bound for the event.
      08-18-2007, 07:07 AM   #8
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
Since you can sign up for meet the 1 event on bmwusa I wonder if these are the same cars that are bound for the event.
That's what I was thinking.
      08-18-2007, 07:45 AM   #9
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. Years ago I signed up for a launch that included some autocross-style track time. It was before official launch, and designed to stir up interest.

Some seat time in a 135 in November is sure to guarantee some interest :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2007, 08:15 AM   #10
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
I would imagine they are but as you know at these specialized events you're preaching to the choir. People like me.

I think it's important to exhibit the car in front of a mass audience at the dozens of car shows that are staged all over the country- it gets the car seen by those who may or may not be considering a BMW for their next purchase.
I'd love to see the 1-er placed in a wider context situated within the current marketplace so that it can be compared, at least visually, against the rest of the pack.
Don't get me wrong- the 1-er event is tres cool and I hope they are there...but a deeper frame of reference insofar as the 1-ers sales sucess is concerned is it's in-person appearance before the general public. Something I hope BMW/NA takes advantage of.
Appreciate 0