BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #45
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTNJNQ View Post
Got to disagree with you regarding the 599. It's one of the best looking cars around.
+ 10000

It is amazing in nearly every way... (not that I can comment on its on-road capabilities since I haven't driven one )

I love Lambo's for what they are, just not sure I can deal with them on a day to day basis. I think the Gallardo is the better looking car though.

But we all have our reasons, and that's what makes us all different.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 02:13 AM   #46
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I agree with BBK's comments earlier. At the end of the day the M3 is supposed to be a performance sports car, and one of the best in it's class. The M3 leads the pack against the RS4 and the C Class AMG. It always has been. It's the track king. Any M3 owner will tell you this and rightfully so. I'm just keen to see where the M1 comes into play. Numbers are numbers there is no denying that. There is no doubt the M1 will be in M3 territory, either a bit slower or a bit faster. Whatever the case, the M3 owners will resort to saying the interior is crap or it looks fugly but that's never what the M3 was about. The current M3 has more luxury and refinement than any other M3 ever made. I'm sure if I had a history of owning M3 cars I would be happy with the progress the M3 has made but I'd give up all that luxury stuff and have that money pumped into even more performance. The M3 is bigger, fatter and heavier. I bet there are long term M3 owners wishing they made an M3 that was sub 1500kg because the M3 just isn't that car anymore.

The M1 will be the most raw BMW performance car in it's line up. It will do everything the M3 does, maybe even better. The only part it will be let down is in the luxury department. The thing is, most hardcore enthusiasts don't care about that. There are even members on here that strip out their interiors and make compromising cosmetic changes to enhance performance. The M1 compared to the M3 will already be that car. When we see it we'll know it was never intended to be a luxury car, a GT, a symbol of status. All the M1 will represent is the driving experience. I'm just excited to see what numbers it puts down, because everything else aside the M1 will be impressive. Oh yes, another thing, I'm sure the M3 owners will have a hard time stomaching the fact that being a turbo car, they'll be able to chip their M1's and gain another ***hp for a few bucks. Oh and I'm sure the M1's suspension setup and chasis will already be more than capable to handle that power because after all, it is an M car

M3 owners will always have their own reasons for buying an M3 over an M1, they are 2 different cars. But at the end of the day the argument will come up, what's the better sports car? What's the faster car on a drag strip? What's the faster car on track? These questions will need to be answered. Hopefully this will clear everything up.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 03:58 AM   #47
bobbynoway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Its seems no matter how good the M1 may be, there will be those that will still consider it a "1 series" car and not as "classy". Well I tell these people you cannot buy into class, you either have it or you dont. Class is something you cannot buy.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 05:15 AM   #48
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
I don't go on to a Pulsar forum and brag about how good my car is...
Love the comment BBK! - though if I'm up early enough tomorrow I'll happily go for a run with the M3 guys to Byron!!!
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327304

IMO, the most desirable M3 so far is the last of the E30s, the early '90s 2.5lt four cylinder model. I'm not alone there as they're still commanding pretty big money for a 20 year old car. It's light (~1200kg), loud, raw with little pretense at luxury. It's outright power isn't huge but boy do they handle. Will a new M3 beat it around the track? Ab-sol-utely! But I reckon the E30 may be a more fun experience. I'm hoping the M1 will emulate this kind of weight and raw experience, even if it is slower than an M3. I'd give away one of my turbos if I could lose 200kg!

Last edited by TimMc; 01-23-2010 at 05:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 07:38 AM   #49
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Well I've just got back from 10 days in Bali and it's GREAT not having to read 1Addicts on a tiny iPhone screen!!! (Bring on the iTablet!!)

After travelling around in crappy, death-wish taxis it was great to fire up the S65 and burn it down to the shops to get some fresh milk!

I've decided how to settle this M1 vs M3 debate.....just buy both!!

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #50
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
Well I've just got back from 10 days in Bali and it's GREAT not having to read 1Addicts on a tiny iPhone screen!!! (Bring on the iTablet!!)

After travelling around in crappy, death-wish taxis it was great to fire up the S65 and burn it down to the shops to get some fresh milk!

I've decided how to settle this M1 vs M3 debate.....just buy both!!
+1 .
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 07:36 AM   #51
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
What about Ducati's Way? They're pretty cool too !
I tell ya what, those Ducati owners are just the coolest people around! Especially if they have two white ones. Oh and what about Honda DN-01 owners? Ok I am pushing my luck now.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 07:42 AM   #52
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTNJNQ View Post
Got to disagree with you regarding the 599. It's one of the best looking cars around.
The first time I saww the 599, it was outside of my hotel in Paris. It was a black one and at first glance I thought it must be some try hard French sports car lol. This was just after 599's were shown to the public so I wasn't that familiar with it yet. Upon careful inspection and 15 mins of looking at it, I decided that it was the second ugliest Fazza around behind the 612 lol. BUT...with time, I have grown to really like the looks of the car. It's not beautiful the way a 458 is, but it is elegant in it's stance. But that wasn't my point. My point is, if it was a GT car, the look would have been perfect. It's tall (for a supercar), easy to get in and out, easy to drive, easy to reverse (try that in a LP640)...just isn't as special as a LP640! A friend has both so we have taken both cars out doing back to back runs and that was my conclusion.
Appreciate 0