BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Tial Q BOV

I just purchased and installed an ER 'long' chargepipe and a Tial Q BOV, which seems to be opening inconsistently after my short test drive last night. I can hear it slightly when I rev it out of gear, but when I was driving I couldn't really hear anything and at one point when I did hear it while driving, it was a second or two after I shifted.

I didn't want to put another post up here on the Tial Q BOV opening inconsistently, but after searching I wasn't able to find a definitive solution. I read that some people have had no issue, others have changed/cut springs, and finally someone just lubed the o-ring and that seemed to work.

I called Tial and they basically said to buy a new spring. Which sucks but I will if that's what it takes. He also said to check the vacuum at idle on a warm motor and buy a spring that matches that. My question though is shouldn't all N54's have the same vacuum at idle?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #2
A_Squared
Banned
Rep
Drives: n54

Did the BOV only come with one spring? I have one on the way too so hoping I don't run into this issue
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Squared View Post
Did the BOV only come with one spring? I have one on the way too so hoping I don't run into this issue
Yeah, one spring that was already installed and the BOV was already mounted to the chargepipe. I didn't mess with anything, just installed it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
A_Squared
Banned
Rep

do you know what color spring it came with?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Squared View Post
do you know what color spring it came with?
I don't because I haven't taken the BOV apart to see. I'll do that tonight.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #6
LinkA8A0A
Private First Class
Rep

I took the BOV off and apart and noticed a few things. The first is that the spring is uncolored, therefore according to Tial's website this is the 10 lb spring on the Tial Q.

The second thing I noticed is that when I took the spring cup assembly out of the housing, the o-ring at the bottom (circled in yellow) stuck to the housing a bit. I was wondering if anyone has had any success in putting a light coating of grease on here? I can't really see any adverse effect this would cause.

Take a look at the pictures of the disassembled BOV for reference.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 12:42 PM   #7
A_Squared
Banned
Rep

Sorry to revive this thread but OP did you ever get this resolved? Didn't want to start a new thread if I didn't have to. I finally got around to installing mine and I'm having similar problems with it opening inconsistently. It's closed at idle however barely cracks open to vent. While driving it sounds almost like its struggling to open and flutters sometimes. I opened it up and lubricated everything but nothing changed. Wondering if I need a softer spring but my vacuum at idle indicates this plain colored spring that it came with since I'm at 18 inhg. Kinda frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 05:33 PM   #8
fredy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkA8A0A View Post
I took the BOV off and apart and noticed a few things. The first is that the spring is uncolored, therefore according to Tial's website this is the 10 lb spring on the Tial Q.

The second thing I noticed is that when I took the spring cup assembly out of the housing, the o-ring at the bottom (circled in yellow) stuck to the housing a bit. I was wondering if anyone has had any success in putting a light coating of grease on here? I can't really see any adverse effect this would cause.

Take a look at the pictures of the disassembled BOV for reference.

Thanks!
yes grease the o-ring

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ghlight=tial+q
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 06:36 PM   #9
A_Squared
Banned
Rep

What kind of grease do you use?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 07:13 PM   #10