BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

08-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Post Fibre Optix Performance Style Rear Deck Spoiler

So this past week I took delivery of my Fibre Optix Performance Style Rear Deck Spoiler and thus far I couldn't be happier! :smile:

Initially I was in debate because BMW distributes a perfectly acceptable piece; however, the retail price of $475 is very steep and even the cost from others still seemed quite high considering there's not a whole lot to the part... So I checked in to alternatives.

In the end I contacted Fibre Optix, who also sold me my carbon fiber roundel. TJ told me that he had just taken delivery of their first batch of spoilers and that he'd give me an introductory price of $219.00 + shipping, which is apparently still available to anyone that is interested. Retail is $249.00 + shipping, so either way it's a great deal. :smile:

Upon taking delivery, I was just as pleased with the packaging of this piece as I was with the cat-back exhaust that I received from cp-e™ (which is reviewed HERE). The box was over-sized for the spoiler along with a bunch of red "FRAGILE" stickers all over it. Inside the spoiler was initially wrapped in foam and then that was wrapped in bubble wrap. This was then placed in the box and packaging paper was layered throughout to protect against any potential damage during shipping (unfortunately I forgot to take pics of all of this because I was so psyched to get it open! ).

Anyway, I didn't mind being one of the first ones to try this piece out because I was undecided between leaving the carbon fiber exposed or painting it... UNTIL I got the package open that is! This piece is extremely nice. The CF weave, fit and finish, & epoxy coating are all just as good or better than that of the BMW piece. That being said, leaving the CF exposed rather than painting it was an easy choice! :thumbup:

Install was nice and easy thanks to the "How-to" video by JohnL135I (found HERE). So a special thanks goes out to him!

HERE's a link to the current line-up of parts available (or soon-to-be) from Fibre Optix.

And last, but not least, here are the pics:

Side-profile

(Click for larger version(s))

Side-profile (close-up)

CF weave (close-up)

^^ Unfortunately this is the best shot I could get with my camera - close-ups definitely aren't its strong spot. It looks OK here, but the shot really does it no justice! Also, keep in mind that this shot was before I took the time to heat up the adhesive and work the front down flush to the paintwork. The fit is perfectly flush to the trunk now.

Above

^ FYI ~ the driver-side edge is NOT sitting away from the paint in this shot. It's just a reflection of the spoiler against the paint.

Underside

Rear

Anyway, I hope this review helps a bunch of you save a few bucks like I did... I'm now anxiously awaiting the release of their mirror caps, diffuser, hood, trunk, etc!

Oh and if anyone's looking for a stock Jet Black 135i spoiler, please get in contact with me! :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

So tell us what TJ is like to deal with. The guy obviously has no people skills whatsoever on the forum, but sounds like he is coming through with his product which some people will find acceptable.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 10:08 PM   #3
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
So tell us what TJ is like to deal with. The guy obviously has no people skills whatsoever on the forum, but sounds like he is coming through with his product which some people will find acceptable.
I'd really like to keep any sort of bad-mouthing of TJ or his company to a minimum because I can honestly say that I've had nothing but good experiences in dealing with him; however, to answer your question: TJ really is a decent guy. Obviously there were a few here that he didn't rub well (and, in all fairness, vice versa), but he is putting together a VERY nice line-up of parts. Based on my experience if you order from them I can assure you that you'll be happy with the price you pay and products & service you receive. I look forward to seeing what else is released down the line because in talking with him it sounds like there's A LOT in the works! :smile:
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
mjovic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

I don't see any prices... Are these OEM units or custom?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjovic View Post
I don't see any prices... Are these OEM units or custom?
I listed the price(s) (introductory and retail) on the spoiler in my review, but I'm not sure what the other stuff will run, yet. When I last spoke with TJ he had indicated that the mirror caps would be available any time, so I plan to call him this week in hopes of ordering a set. I'm guessing they'll be significantly less pricey than the BMW alternatives.

Concerning OEM or custom, they're essentially identical pieces to what BMW offers without the additional cost. I know 2 people with the BMW Performance spoiler and look forward to comparing them side-by-side.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
I had a chance to look at these spoilers (Fibre Optix vs. BMW) side-by-side last night and even the owner of the other car commented on how nice the quality is.

Needless to say, I'm quite pleased. :smile:
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #7
tjockey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Hey JT, is he going to have the rear diffuser available soon in CF

..I already had the BMW spoiler or I would have gotten one of his.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #8
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjockey View Post
Hey JT, is he going to have the rear diffuser available soon in CF

..I already had the BMW spoiler or I would have gotten one of his.
Based on my conversations with him they'll have at least 2 different types of diffusers and they will be available very soon. I guess there's one that's "OEM-style" that looks exactly like the stock rear piece, but in CF and another that's "Performance-style" that looks like the piece available from BMW.

Rumor has it there will be three (yes, three) different styles of hoods as well, but I've only seen the pics of the OEM-style that are posted on the website...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
tjockey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Thanx.....keep me posted on the diffusers and I'll be on the lookout for them also...:w00t:

I like the look of the vented Vorsteiner hoods also...I've about given up on the front splitters....
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsherri View Post
Obviously there were a few here that he didn't rub well (and, in all fairness, vice versa),
LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #11
backtoreality15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Thanks for this review! The spoiler looks great. I might be ordering this particular one soon. The BMW one costs an arm & a leg.
      08-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
Stratos
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: F22 220d

How much for the original shipped to Norway? :smile:
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #13
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjockey View Post
Thanx.....keep me posted on the diffusers and I'll be on the lookout for them also...:w00t:

I like the look of the vented Vorsteiner hoods also...I've about given up on the front splitters....
Don't be surprised if they release the same style hood... I can't speak on splitters though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtoreality15 View Post
Thanks for this review! The spoiler looks great. I might be ordering this particular one soon. The BMW one costs an arm & a leg.
No problem - glad I could help you find a good alternative. I probably would have eventually pulled the trigger on the BMW spoiler if this option wasn't available; however, I wouldn't have been happy paying the price they're asking...

This was definitely a bargain in comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
How much for the original shipped to Norway? :smile:
Man, I'm guessing that won't be cheap... but if you're serious PM me your address and maybe we can work something out! :smile:
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #14
karma8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

post more pic man
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 03:48 PM   #15
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by karma8 View Post
post more pic man
Is there something more you're looking for pictures of? I thought these showed most (all?) of the details, but if you're looking for something else I can try and accommodate...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 05:42 PM   #16
karma8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

thx coz i kinda wannan more closer look of it ...i'm pretty instrested
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 11:52 PM   #17
wmj73
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, 440i GC

Garage List
2008   [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
Looks amazing, cant wait for the diffuser now!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #18
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

I just got mine as well. TJ is a great guy, and the pc was OEM like quality for about half the money...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 09:45 AM   #19
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
:iono: So that makes 2 people that didn't get screwed?

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #20
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
:iono: So that makes 2 people that didn't get screwed?
I don't beleive the issue was people getting screwed, just some mannerisms encountered on some of the forums dealing with this guy. You may be refering to the e90post thread about the guy with the bad experience with some angel-eye bulbs. Although TJ could've been a bit more tactful, there were two valid sides to the story, and the guy who bought the angel-eyes was trying to blame the bulbs for his car throwing engine error codes. This is ridiculous, and TJ wasn't shy about letting him know that. Plus he provided evidience that he did inform this customer before-hand that these bulbs may cause a light-out warning, and this was not disputed by the customer.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 11:06 AM   #21
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

FWIW, we've had to delete many, many posts and threads here due to the antagonistic and very abusive manner in which FibreOptix behaves. They have been banned here on well over a dozen (being generous on that number) usernames, and because of all the problems we've encountered as a result of a single person, we will not be allowing any solicitous posts for his products. We've stated this before as well.

There are a few 1addicts who have won auctions on ebay from them, and those auctions were reneged on, with the seller trying to get more money after the auction completed. Those people reported TJ, his username got banned, and he opened another account and posted the same items under another username, stating he was from California.

So, it is not just the horrible attitude that led to his demise here (and every other forum that I've seen his posts at), but the bad business practices. Plus, he's just too darned much work to have here, or his products bolstered here, as seen by people who look as though they could be TJ in disguise in this very thread.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread