BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #155
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
stock 135i pistons are half (bit more) stainless already though?

RB pistons are full stainless for what... $90/caliper

with the volume BMW would be making, and the fact they're already 2/3 stainless

the amount bmw would have saved wouldn't even amount to pocket change.. ad in the fact there's probably been legitimate in-warranty failures and there's a chance they saved nothing.
Just want to give Kenny's no some substance so you understand:

$90 x 4 corners x each car is not pocket change (even it would cost substantially less for BMW). The brakes hold up under normal driving so no need for SS pistons. BMW doesn't warrant any track use.
Read again,

$90 a corner for a small scale place making a profit... Minimum 20%... Likely more, having a monopoly, and ss is fairly cheap, and they are both tiny and simple.. Its also not 4 corners, just front.
Oe brakes are already at least partly stainless (at the very least *have* pistons) (not alu correct?)

Even if it ended up costing a bit more for bmw to do (brembo*).. Would you have noticed a $100 price increase on your 1er and would it have stopped your purchase?
At least you don' have anything else to say it seems

Ed: thanks justin for that clarification, muchly reassured

- i'll check out the .com.tw website when i get to my computer too just to compare

Thanks again

Ed2: i agree with above, sure there are $7,000 brembo/stoptech options, and i'm sure they'll perform somewhat better.. But for half the price i'm pretty convinced the nashin kit will perform far more than half as well.. And i'm assuming significantly better than oe 135i brakes too.. Sure, if i was made of money, i'd go buy one of them no worries.. But... Yeah.. Lol.

Honesty the only thing i dislike is the inability to select other manufacturers pads (and rotors to a lesser extent).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #156
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
At least you don' have anything else to say it seems
No point.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 08:41 PM   #157
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

I have had the Nashins on the car for about a month now and after the initial bed in and half a track day i can confirm the following.

1. dust - i'd say on par if not slightly better than stock
2. noise - cold or hot with the sport pads none
3. cold braking - same as stock, no noticable difference
4. hot braking - better, much better
5. track braking - very little fade at wakefield even after a back to back session (the sessions were only about 10 min each)
6. stopping distance - well this is a little hard as the front (pss) tyres had already seen 5 or 6 track days and there was more than a little sledding, but i would comfortably say the braking distance is 3/4 that of stock.

Overall they may not have the brand cachet of brembo or AP but IMHO these are just as good.

I have a track day at EC on the GP circuit next tuesday and i have just got a set of R888's so i will push as hard as ever and see what sort of times i can get with this setup and let you chaps know, but i am expecting great results.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 09:26 PM   #158
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
I have had the Nashins on the car for about a month now and after the initial bed in and half a track day i can confirm the following.

1. dust - i'd say on par if not slightly better than stock
2. noise - cold or hot with the sport pads none
3. cold braking - same as stock, no noticable difference
4. hot braking - better, much better
5. track braking - very little fade at wakefield even after a back to back session (the sessions were only about 10 min each)
6. stopping distance - well this is a little hard as the front (pss) tyres had already seen 5 or 6 track days and there was more than a little sledding, but i would comfortably say the braking distance is 3/4 that of stock.

Overall they may not have the brand cachet of brembo or AP but IMHO these are just as good.

I have a track day at EC on the GP circuit next tuesday and i have just got a set of R888's so i will push as hard as ever and see what sort of times i can get with this setup and let you chaps know, but i am expecting great results.
Nice review Paul. Sounds like the Nashins are doing the job well, but I'm surprised you still get brake fade with your 380mm rotor setup. Brake distance at 3/4 is a very decent improvement though. Keen to hear your impressions after the new rubber goes on.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #159
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Nice review Paul. Sounds like the Nashins are doing the job well, but I'm surprised you still get brake fade with your 380mm rotor setup. Brake distance at 3/4 is a very decent improvement though. Keen to hear your impressions after the new rubber goes on.
the fade part, at these sizes/pads... that's pretty surprising to me?

isn't really the main goal of the BBK's to eliminate fade as that's the only real weakness (besides durability) of the OEM setup?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #160
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
TBH it could have been the tyres not the brakes, but assuming the weather is good next week and I have no other issues EC should be a good and propper work out for brakes and i'll let you know.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 09:36 PM   #161
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
TBH it could have been the tyres not the brakes, but assuming the weather is good next week and I have no other issues EC should be a good and propper work out for brakes and i'll let you know.
I'm not sure how you could mistake the 2 tbh, brake fade is very specific when I've encountered it. Is your pedal spongey/mushy? What fluid are you running?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #162
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure how you could mistake the 2 tbh, brake fade is very specific when I've encountered it. Is your pedal spongey/mushy? What fluid are you running?
ahh no pedel fade then same same all day (well half day). althoug the brake pedal feel is different to the oem, which was like a rock in the mornings and pumping like the gym in the afternoon, the new brake have a softer pedal feel but consistant.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 09:46 PM   #163
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
ahh no pedel fade then same same all day (well half day). althoug the brake pedal feel is different to the oem, which was like a rock in the mornings and pumping like the gym in the afternoon, the new brake have a softer pedal feel but consistant.
Sounds like it's doing it's job. The OEM setup has a really strong bite (which I personally like) whereas most aftermarket pads are more progressive and linear.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 11:21 PM   #164
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

Quote:
Sorry to ask but how does this happen? Assuming no fade I'd assume the stock calipers will be able to lock the wheels (i.e. kick in the ABS) when stopping and therefore the stopping distance is determined purely by the tyres not the calipers/disc. Fade of course will have a negative effect for the stock calipers.

Thanks

B
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 11:29 PM   #165
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
Sorry to ask but how does this happen? Assuming no fade I'd assume the stock calipers will be able to lock the wheels (i.e. kick in the ABS) when stopping and therefore the stopping distance is determined purely by the tyres not the calipers/disc. Fade of course will have a negative effect for the stock calipers.

Thanks

B
yep the abs was working overtime on turn 2 and turn 10 (effectively the end and beginning of the main straight) once the tyres got hot, and then i was sledding through the corners.

I guess what i was saying is to date i am very happy but I wont know for sure untill i get the new front rubber. This I have now in a set of 235 r888's so EC next week will be a better test of the brake's abilities, plus EC is a much faster track so, with the added grip i will be able to say for certain if there is any fade and to what extent.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 11:32 PM   #166
choppedliver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
yep the abs was working overtime on turn 2 and turn 10 (effectively the end and beginning of the main straight) once the tyres got hot, and then i was sledding through the corners.

I guess what i was saying is to date i am very happy but I wont know for sure untill i get the new front rubber. This I have now in a set of 235 r888's so EC next week will be a better test of the brake's abilities, plus EC is a much faster track so, with the added grip i will be able to say for certain if there is any fade and to what extent.
Excellent. Be interested to see the results. Not that I track my car.

B
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 02:58 AM   #167
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver
Quote:

Excellent. Be interested to see the results. Not that I track my car.

B
Honestly if your not pushing the car you dont need brakes, suspension etc
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 03:28 AM   #168
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post

Thanks

B
Amen to this. So many car "tests" review brakes by testing braking distance. All they're really doing is testing tyres. Testing this (and brake pedal feel) after after several hot laps is a different story...
      11-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #169
pavo335
Banned
Rep

I went to the ARDC track day yesterday (good to meet you alex/dad and uncle, hope you finished ok)at EC which was set on the 'long circuit' as opposed to the GP curcuit. The Long circuit is much more technical and demanding than the GP curcuit.

The ambient temps hit over 35 Deg so it was a hot one out there yesterday, with a couple of local cars pulling out due to heat after the second session. I made it to the 4th before i started getting a persistant limp (it could have been the first heat induced limp as oil was getting over 140) and i pulled in early.

I started the 5th session and on the 3rd lap mid way through turn 1 I lost all power , when i managed to come to a stop i realised the engine had just cut out an required a full ignition off and on before the car would start.

Well by this time I figured that was hint 2 and I was not real interested in what hint 3 was going to be so I packed up and went home. Why am I saying all this in a brake thread??????

Well this was the first REAL test I have hada chance to put the new Nashins through and I can say WOW. ZERO brake fade on a very warm day with new R888's on the front (which by the way i also highly rate). They stopped from the first corner to the last, with never a hesitation. In fact I pushed them 50% harder than the stockers (which imho are pretty decent on the 335) and they still have more to give.

My only regret is that I should have gone for the smaller size up front so I could get an 18' rim on, so I would have a wider selection of tyres.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #170
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
I went to the ARDC track day yesterday (good to meet you alex/dad and uncle, hope you finished ok)at EC which was set on the 'long circuit' as opposed to the GP curcuit. The Long circuit is much more technical and demanding than the GP curcuit.

The ambient temps hit over 35 Deg so it was a hot one out there yesterday, with a couple of local cars pulling out due to heat after the second session. I made it to the 4th before i started getting a persistant limp (it could have been the first heat induced limp as oil was getting over 140) and i pulled in early.

I started the 5th session and on the 3rd lap mid way through turn 1 I lost all power , when i managed to come to a stop i realised the engine had just cut out an required a full ignition off and on before the car would start.

Well by this time I figured that was hint 2 and I was not real interested in what hint 3 was going to be so I packed up and went home. Why am I saying all this in a brake thread??????

Well this was the first REAL test I have hada chance to put the new Nashins through and I can say WOW. ZERO brake fade on a very warm day with new R888's on the front (which by the way i also highly rate). They stopped from the first corner to the last, with never a hesitation. In fact I pushed them 50% harder than the stockers (which imho are pretty decent on the 335) and they still have more to give.

My only regret is that I should have gone for the smaller size up front so I could get an 18' rim on, so I would have a wider selection of tyres.
Glad you're liking your new brakes!

Just out of curiosity, is your car your DD? How are the R888's in the wet and for daily driving?
      11-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #171
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Glad you're liking your new brakes!

Just out of curiosity, is your car your DD? How are the R888's in the wet and for daily driving?
firstly get back on the right side of the roseville bridge, its not safe out there!

Yeh car is DD, but the r888's are only for track i have another set of VMR's with michelin pss (yes they are kerbed as well )

i wouldn't/couldn't drive with the r888's as a DD they sound like a truck.

if you have 18's from what i hear the hankook's have a good range of tyres and are just as good
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #172
choppedliver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Amen to this. So many car "tests" review brakes by testing braking distance. All they're really doing is testing tyres. Testing this (and brake pedal feel) after after several hot laps is a different story...
HTH ;-)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #173
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
firstly get back on the right side of the roseville bridge, its not safe out there!

Yeh car is DD, but the r888's are only for track i have another set of VMR's with michelin pss (yes they are kerbed as well )

if you have 18's from what i hear the hankook's have a good range of tyres and are just as good
Haha what side? Aren't you close to me and Edwin?

Hmmm I'm not sure if I'm up for changing wheels all the time so sounds like R888's aren't for me haha.
      11-07-2012, 04:03 AM   #174
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop
Quote:

Haha what side? Aren't you close to me and Edwin?

Hmmm I'm not sure if I'm up for changing wheels all the time so sounds like R888's aren't for me haha.
I'm at forry

You do not want r888's for daily drive, I'd suggest pss
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 04:23 AM   #175
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

nice to meet you too Paul, i have not followed any of this thread until now so i cannot comment on the brakes but after following your car on tuesday, its a BEAST, brakes look good too. They do have a massive circumference however.

by the way, my car is STILL in limp mode, lol, its going to the dealer tomorrow, just had to clean all the track debris off it and change the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #176
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer
Quote:

nice to meet you too Paul, i have not followed any of this thread until now so i cannot comment on the brakes but after following your car on tuesday, its a BEAST, brakes look good too. They do have a massive circumference however.

by the way, my car is STILL in limp mode, lol, its going to the dealer tomorrow, just had to clean all the track debris off it and change the wheels.
Noooooo not beast, a fairy just died

Yeh good to meet the family

Sorry to hear bout the limp, yeh a little cleanup would be a good idea.
Did you take dads car for a run?
Appreciate 0