BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Ok Guys,

I went to my local German BMW dealer today and shot some pics of the euro lights.
This car is an e82, 120d coupe. The reason why the headlight washers look dirrent is when you do not order the cold pak, you get these standard washers. When you order the cold pack.... you get the pop-up type that we get on the US spec cars.

This car was a demo, SGM, 5K kms, had decent options like Navi and comfort but it was still going for 36K euros!!! Yikes! See how lucky we have it in the USA!

Anyway... back on topic... you can see how nicer the euro lights look. Much cleaner than the plastic lens on the inner daytime running lamps that we get.

e82 120d

5,990eros SUCH a deal!

Btw.... you can see some US pec cars on that back row! lol
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #24
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
This car was a demo, SGM, 5K kms, had decent options like Navi and comfort but it was still going for 36K euros!!! Yikes! See how lucky we have it in the USA!
Doesn't that price also include the tax on it though?
      07-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #25
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Doesn't that price also include the tax on it though?
Yes, that price included the German MwSt tax. That is a hefty 19%.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 10:11 AM   #26
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, that price included the German MwSt tax. That is a hefty 19%.
That is a large chunk of change.
      07-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #27
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
That is a large chunk of change.
Well... yes! Willkommen zu Deutschland!!!

IF you want to 'play' over here, one must really "PAY" dearly! :") You guys would laugh/cry at the price of a new 135i over here!

So... what do you guys think of the euro lights now?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #28
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

My german skills are not as sharp as they used to be , but this one looks like fully loaded 120d.
The price is actually on par with canadian prices once you take into account all our taxes on top of the advertised price. Also the selection here is very poor.
123d would be nice addition to the line-up.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #29
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Ok Guys,

I went to my local German BMW dealer today and shot some pics of the euro lights.
This car is an e82, 120d coupe. The reason why the headlight washers look dirrent is when you do not order the cold pak, you get these standard washers. When you order the cold pack.... you get the pop-up type that we get on the US spec cars.

Anyway... back on topic... you can see how nicer the euro lights look. Much cleaner than the plastic lens on the inner daytime running lamps that we get.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/IMG_2829.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/IMG_2839.jpg
e82 120d
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/x...e/IMG_2868.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/x...9.jpg5,990eros SUCH a deal!

Btw.... you can see some US pec cars on that back row! lol
I'm surprised they don't make you convert your headlights, guess that's part of the agreement. Here in the UK they do it for any car that's staying more then a year, so I have the euro lights on my U.S. spec. Did they at least give you the rear fog light switch?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #30
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
I'm surprised they don't make you convert your headlights, guess that's part of the agreement. Here in the UK they do it for any car that's staying more then a year, so I have the euro lights on my U.S. spec. Did they at least give you the rear fog light switch?
MY CAR is a US spec car registered thru the US Army Europe(USAEUR). I have German plates but they are just 'cover plates' in that they look like German tags but are registered thru USAEUR. You do not need to comply with German laws really. Only that the car is safe from a safety stand point. No TUV or AU(emissions) tests. No rear brake fogs are needed. You would only need that IF you were to register a US car thru the GErman system, and then you need to pay the 19% tax and all. In the end you will pay about 28% in fees & taxes.

It is the same thing with military members assigned in the UK. They get UK plates too, but pay no tax or have any MOT. We are special in that way. Seems kind of strange you must convert your headlights. Why couldn't you use black tape?

The only thing one would need to convert is to have headlights to light up in a LHD way. Simple black tape can acomplish this. I see many guys with Skyline GT's with RHD... they have no trouble with running around here.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #31
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
MY CAR is a US spec car registered thru the US Army Europe(USAEUR). I have German plates but they are just 'cover plates' in that they look like German tags but are registered thru USAEUR. You do not need to comply with German laws really. Only that the car is safe from a safety stand point. No TUV or AU(emissions) tests. No rear brake fogs are needed. You would only need that IF you were to register a US car thru the GErman system, and then you need to pay the 19% tax and all. In the end you will pay about 28% in fees & taxes.

It is the same thing with military members assigned in the UK. They get UK plates too, but pay no tax or have any MOT. We are special in that way. Seems kind of strange you must convert your headlights. Why couldn't you use black tape?

The only thing one would need to convert is to have headlights to light up in a LHD way. Simple black tape can acomplish this. I see many guys with Skyline GT's with RHD... they have no trouble with running around here.
As is my car. And we do have to do MOT on any car over 3 years old, prior to that, on U.S. spec cars we have to do what is called a special MOT, if your car is going to be over here for more then 1 year. It involves converting the headlights to make sure you have white running lights, amber signals and a rear fog. We also have to pay the road tax each year (tax disc), first year is free, but after that it's £205 a year.

So when I picked up my car, they had the U.S. spec headlights and switch boxed up in the trunk so I can switch them when I ship it back. Probably won't bother though, I like the euro spec.
Appreciate 0