BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Dinan tune

Does anyone on this forum have experience with the Dinan tune? (Or have positive or negative feedback?). I'm craving more power, and I feel this is the least risky approach.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Cobb is a terrific tune and a far better value.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #3
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Thanks for this info Neil and Ian. I'll ask my local tuner about the Cobb +PTF.

By the way, will the power be noticeable?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
Shooto82
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 1m

Sorry to be off the subject but what makes a tune safer then the other, how to determine if certain company or a tunner is safe specifically the 1m . Find it difficult if it's the boost pressure or whp number or the TQ number or octane level or hardware mods or the air flow
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
Does anyone on this forum have experience with the Dinan tune? (Or have positive or negative feedback?). I'm craving more power, and I feel this is the least risky approach.
I do. I've had my Dinan Stage 2 tune for a couple of years and have really enjoyed it. There are certainly cheaper and more aggressive tunes available for the 1, but I chose the Dinan tune because of the overall quality of Dinan products and because the Dinan warranty mirrors the OEM warranty on the vehicle.

And you don't need to add an upgraded intercooler or oil cooler for the Stage 2 tune. You do for the Stage 3 tune. Stage 2 is a nice and safe boost in power though and it's currently on sale for the 1M for $1,530 according the Dinan website.
      05-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #6
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pirate View Post
I do. I've had my Dinan Stage 2 tune for a couple of years and have really enjoyed it. There are certainly cheaper and more aggressive tunes available for the 1, but I chose the Dinan tune because of the overall quality of Dinan products and because the Dinan warranty mirrors the OEM warranty on the vehicle.

And you don't need to add an upgraded intercooler or oil cooler for the Stage 2 tune. You do for the Stage 3 tune. Stage 2 is a nice and safe boost in power though and it's currently on sale for the 1M for $1,530 according the Dinan website.
FWIW, the ots Cobb tunes are very conservative, especially with regard to timing.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I recommend you go with a JB4 instead.
Dinan are good but they are way overpriced. Get a jb4 and have the control to adjust boost to what you want and if you are concerned about warranty you can remove it before you go to the dealership.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
css008
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
FWIW, the ots Cobb tunes are very conservative, especially with regard to timing.
Between a conservative Cobb tune & a conservative Dinan tune, why wouldn't you pay the extra bucks for Dinan and keep your warranty intact?

Last edited by css008; 05-12-2014 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #9
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by css008 View Post
Between a conservative Cobb tune & a conservative Dinan tune, why wouldn't you pay the extra bucks for Dinan and keep your warranty intact?
With a Dinan tune, you get a Dinan warranty (not BMW NA). Moreover, I believe it has exclusions if you track the car.

The Cobb tune is way more versatile, as you can download different maps from Cobb and/or get a custom tune. Moreover, you can easily restore the stock tune should you so desire in a matter of minutes.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #10
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post

Neil
The Cobb Tune may be conservative too (I really don't know), but if you want a set it and forget tune with a warranty the Dinan Stage 2 tune is a good choice. And no the warranty is not provided by BMW NA, but by Dinan. However, Dinan is a reputable company with a good track record for producing quality and well engineered products, although some would argue at a premium price.
      05-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Sure, nothing is madatory, but any tune should have an upgraded FMIC. Even a stock car would benefit.

Dinan is not set and forget as you say as it is a flash at a Dinan dealer, which means that you have no control of the tune install. If the car gets a BMW update, the Dinan tune will be over-written. Furthermore, you are limited to a single map. Cobb you can have multiple maps and quickly swap maps or go back to stock from your own garage.
I believe that the Dinan flash works just like a BMW PPK in that its linked to your VIN. So you really do not have to worry about it getting it(the Dina tune) over written when a bmw dealer does a sw update.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
So if the BMW does a DME update, the Dinan tune will remain? I don't understand how that is possible as the BMW update will over-write the Dinan map

I am not sure. That's why I said "I think"...

I know when you purchase a PPK(Performance Power Kit) sw tune from bmw... they key your VIN to their tune. So you will always keep the PPK sw - no matter which latest sw level you have on your DME or get downloaded at a later date.

Even IF a bmw dealer can over write the Dinan tune(which I am not sure they can)... you could go to ANY bmw dealer that is a Dinan franchise and have it reloaded. But I would "think" that BMW would know your car has a Dinan flash and not be able to flash your DME se back to stock.

Maybe someone with a Dinan tune can shed more light on this topic. Bottom line is... the OP has many options to solve his need for more power. There is something to be said for a reliable tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 06:11 AM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. Is it just USA BMW dealers that can be Dinan authorised?
Looks like there is one near you...

http://dinancars.com/authorized-dealers/

Southern BM
2 Elna Crt
Moorabbin
Victoria, 3189, AU
03)9555-4049
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 07:57 AM   #14
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Sure, Southern BM is a Dinan agent and are only 800km from Sydney

Southern BM is a top indy garage, not a BMW dealer though. I don't think that BMW Australia acknowledge Dinan warranty?
At least in the U.S., BMW NA does not acknowledge the Dinan warranty.

However, BMW dealers who are also Dinan dealers will do work under the Dinan warranty.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #15
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sure, nothing is madatory, but any tune should have an upgraded FMIC. Even a stock car would benefit.

Dinan is not set and forget as you say as it is a flash at a Dinan dealer, which means that you have no control of the tune install. If the car gets a BMW update, the Dinan tune will be over-written. Furthermore, you are limited to a single map. Cobb you can have multiple maps and quickly swap maps or go back to stock from your own garage.
I never said that you shouldn't upgrade your intercooler, only that the Dinan stage 2 tune doesn't require an upgraded intercooler. In fact I upgraded my intercooler as soon as I had the Dinan tune installed although that was not required by Dinan.

My other point about the Dinan tune is that some people don't care about having the ability to change to multiple maps. They are fine with the out of the box tune. My BMW dealer knows that my car has the Dinan tune so I've never had any issues with software updates. And Dinan will reflash your tune should it somehow get overwritten.

Last edited by 1Pirate; 05-13-2014 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #16
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
So if the BMW does a DME update, the Dinan tune will remain? I don't understand how that is possible as the BMW update will over-write the Dinan map
I had a Dinan tune on a 335i and yes, the DWE updates will overwrite the Dinan tune. That's not a problem if your local dealer is a Dinan shop too but but at the time the closest shop to me wasn't and the second closest didn't have a compatible cable. It was a major PITA to drive across town to get the Dinan tune reloaded everytime the DWE was updated.
Something to keep in mind.
      05-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #17
1Pirate
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
An "out of the box tune" that you refer to is going to be less "safe" than a custom tune IMO.
Maybe, maybe not. Whether it is "safer" or not really depends on so many factors and so many variables. For example a custom tune could be very conservative or it could be very aggressive. An aggressive custom tune may not be safer than a an out of the box tune like a Dinan tune.
      05-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #18
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pirate View Post
Maybe, maybe not. Whether it is "safer" or not really depends on so many factors and so many variables. For example a custom tune could be very conservative or it could be very aggressive. An aggressive custom tune may not be safer than a an out of the box tune like a Dinan tune.
There is always a trade off with higher performance and safety margin.

The benefit of a custom tune is you can communicate with the tuner on the spot to op for the type of safety margin that you deemed satisfactory. The tuner with their experience will provide guidance on how safe the tune is depending on what you use the car for.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #19
scotth944
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 86' 944, 12' Gulf R

The more power being generated, the more wear and fatigue everything is going to be subjected to and at some point lead to a failure if not addressed even when stock. So what is your goal with longevity vs gains? Keep in mind that a 10 hp gain will probably generate 4 times more wear than a 5 hp gain will (at least with my experience it did). Less than ideal quality fuel and hot weather also lead to most of the failures I have seen. Luckily engines have detection capabilities these days for some of this but they can be reactive instead of proactive which means you will go beyond a limit before it changes your parameters. An example would be knock, temp probes will dial back timing as temp goes up but gas that is older or has less octane than the calibration was designed for can lead to a more ideal condition for detonation to develop. The knock sensor will pick up the detonation after is starts to develop and dial back timing but if the knock level increases faster than the system will be able to react, you can get busted rings and hammered bearings.

The point of all this is when you want more "fun" out of the system, the more you will have to give up in terms of longevity. If you want "safe", leave it stock and have a warranty ready just in case.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #20
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
I went Stage 3 and love my Dinan Tune. Complete plug and play. Ease of installation and post install service was extremely important to me. If your 1er is a daily ride, then reliability and service does it and the Dinan Tune is a complete no brainer. Dinan trumps all. However, if you are looking for pure power, maximum gains and love tinkering with your ride to achieve it. Then Dinan IMO would not be for you.

In the morning, I simply just want to get in and go. Truly, "PERFORMANCE WITHOUT SACRIFICE"

I am totally loving my DINAN tune with 373 horsepower at 5300 rpm and 408 lb-ft torque at 3500 rpm.
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #21
Narek
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: AW 1M (MH1 S)

In terms of safe, I personally think no tunes are as safe as the factory settings, however if you want a tune im guessing thats an "extra factor" you're considering rather than a priority.

Sure, if you have the option to go for a Dinan tune and have accessibility for them to do repairs under warranty, thats a good choice.

I would assume that despite being able to remove JB4, and reset cobb to stage 0 before service, if the dealership goes through the logs Im sure they will be able to find a higher than stock boost at some point or another.
Performance: Manhart Stage 4 Tune (+ CF Airbox, FMIC, Oil Cooler), Akra Titanium Full Exhaust + cat delete, Manhart Headers, cp-e CP, HKS BOV, Quaife Helical Diff, CDV Delete.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #22
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narek View Post
if the dealership goes through the logs Im sure they will be able to find a higher than stock boost at some point or another.
Nope.

Neil
Appreciate 0