BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
UNO///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW BMW 1M

Dinan intake question??

Hi guys would the Dinan Cold Air Intake for N54 135 fit my 1M??? About to buy a used one.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

You may have an issue with that down pipe fitting correctly though I'm not 100% sure. I'd contact Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNO///M View Post
Hi guys would the Dinan Cold Air Intake for N54 135 fit my 1M??? About to buy a used one.
Mechanically speaking I can't think of a reason why it should not fit but they say it is regular N54 specific and not the N54T in 1M. More important thing is they are working since some time on a 1M specific intake, that's what some Forum members reported before following their direct contact with Dinan people so there must really be a need to produce a (slightly?) different one for the 1M! Lots of people here like me are waiting to hear about the new Dinan intake for 1M soon, since their exhaust is out, so maybe better to wait a bit for you too, don't you think so?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
It won't fit, they have been 'working' on the revised design for months now. IMO, not working daily on it, but have put it somewhere midway on their development list. Now that the exhaust is released I reckon they will get to the intake.

It is the lower part of the tubing that will not work (and that allegedly too is CF) given the added cooling components in (and thus more crowded) the 1M engine bay, they needed to change the routing slightly.

What that also means is more money. As this has required R&D, knowing Dinan, they will push that to the consumer so expect to pay more than the 135i one, which isnt cheap to start with.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
UNO///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW BMW 1M

Thanks Guys for your help, I was about to pull the trigger. Really like the looks of it, It just looks clean. To bad it won't fit.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 03:36 AM   #6
4thM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp. Alp. White

DINAN cold air intake for the 1M is now available. it requires the removal of the secondary radiator and is 1M specific. They also released 1m specific FMIC and oil cooler (in addition to their 1M exhaust ( which looks pretty awesome).

Items are not on their web site but available. Going there Monday to check out everything.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thM3 View Post
DINAN cold air intake for the 1M is now available. it requires the removal of the secondary radiator and is 1M specific. They also released 1m specific FMIC and oil cooler (in addition to their 1M exhaust ( which looks pretty awesome).

Items are not on their web site but available. Going there Monday to check out everything.
Let me get it straight: first the 1M exhaust was requiring cutting and now the CAI needs the removal of the secondary radiator? Please post what you see and hear after your visit, this is getting interesting!
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:

Tell them to build a connecting pipe for their exhaust!!!

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
DINAN cold air intake for the 1M is now available. it requires the removal of the secondary radiator and is 1M specific.
Should we assume the removal of the secondary radiator is not permanent, i.e. required momentary removal during the installation of the CAI but then installed back?
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
4thM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I don't beige that's the case but ill let you know after I talk to them. Not sure if they assume that you need to add FMIC and oil cooler to offset the loss of the radiator or not. Just know that they generally engineer their products pretty rigorously and supplement with "full" warranty coverage.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
4thM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Corrected to read:
I don't believe that's the case but I'll let you know after I talk to them. Not sure if they assume that you need to add FMIC and oil cooler to offset the loss of the radiator or not. Just know that they generally engineer their products pretty rigorously and supplement with "full" warranty coverage.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 01:44 AM   #12
4thM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Went to DINAN today. The following is what I learned:
- Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake: The system does eliminate the supplemental radiator in the driver side bumper intake. While they said this shouldn't be a problem I did notice that on their website for the 335is (same engine) it says:

"Special Product Notes
This kit requires the deletion of the auxiliary radiator in the front left of the car. A Dinan High Capacity Oil Cooler is required to maintain adequate engine cooling and warranty coverage"

This would seem to suggest that the same may be true for the 1M.

Initially I thought this really sucked. Looking more closely, The DINAN system is the only system I've found that totally maintains the stock intake track (with a new high flow filter) AND supplements it with a totally separate intake track the collects intake air for a high pressure location completely outside the engine compartment (I know some don't believe this makes a difference but I believe anything that helps cool the intake charge is beneficial). The fabriction is incredible! Everything has custom shrouds that seal tightly against the bumper and it even includes a new plastic fender liner that deletes the current vent so all air is directed to the intake track. Definitely supplies much more air than any other system I have seen.

FMIC and oill cooler are also equally well engineered. They both have full shouds that seal completely against the bubper to make sure all air goes where it is intended. I can give more detail and add some photos if interested.

DINAN products are EXPENSIVE but when you look at the quality and engineering that goes into the their pieces it's understandable. I am defitiely leaning that direction. Let the debate/controversy begin/continue!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #13
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:
- Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake: The system does eliminate the supplemental radiator in the driver side bumper intake. While they said this shouldn't be a problem I did notice that on their website for the 335is (same engine) it says:

"Special Product Notes
This kit requires the deletion of the auxiliary radiator in the front left of the car. A Dinan High Capacity Oil Cooler is required to maintain adequate engine cooling and warranty coverage"

Initially I thought this really sucked. Looking more closely, The DINAN system is the only system I've found that totally maintains the stock intake track (with a new high flow filter) AND supplements it with a totally separate intake track the collects intake air for a high pressure location completely outside the engine compartment (I know some don't believe this makes a difference but I believe anything that helps cool the intake charge is beneficial). The fabriction is incredible! Everything has custom shrouds that seal tightly against the bumper and it even includes a new plastic fender liner that deletes the current vent so all air is directed to the intake track. Definitely supplies much more air than any other system I have seen.

FMIC and oill cooler are also equally well engineered. They both have full shouds that seal completely against the bubper to make sure all air goes where it is intended. I can give more detail and add some photos if interested.

DINAN products are EXPENSIVE but when you look at the quality and engineering that goes into the their pieces it's understandable. I am defitiely leaning that direction. Let the debate/controversy begin/continue!
Did you inquire about the exhaust cutting?
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #14
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:

"Special Product Notes

Dinan's engineering is ok, but their marketing is first rate! However, their prices are hard to justify.

No way I'd delete the auxilliary radiator!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Dinan's engineering is ok, but their marketing is first rate! However, their prices are hard to justify.

No way I'd delete the auxilliary radiator!

Neil
+ 1000 on all of the above.

Royal fail on this, first CAI to be made that requires an aux radiator delete (and 'conveniently' requires the purchase of more components by same tuner).

Too bad, I could've seen myself stomach the cost of the generic N54 one had it been PnP for the 1///M.

PS: And their warranty is over-rated. Know many a customers who got stuck right in between BMW and Dinan on neither picking up the cost of repair and playing the blaming game. And the moment one installs an extra washer not made by Dinan, they're pretty quick in denying coverage on everything from that point on...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 02:49 AM   #16
4thM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

No word back yet on exhaust cutting. I was told it is a direct bolt on but noticed their photo does not show the flange. Did you hear specifically from someone that it requires cutting? I'll let you know what I hear back from them.

Also curious about the claim above that Dinan's engineering is just "ok". Don't know many with more successful track record (pun intended) but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #17
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
No word back yet on exhaust cutting. I was told it is a direct bolt on but noticed their photo does not show the flange. Did you hear specifically from someone that it requires cutting? I'll let you know what I hear back from them.

Also curious about the claim above that Dinan's engineering is just "ok". Don't know many with more successful track record (pun intended) but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Steve Dinan builds great race engines. His stuff for the "consumer" market is not as distinguished.

He has built a very successful business, based on sound engineering and a brilliant marketing plan that allowed people to believe his stuff was blessed by BMWNA and backed by the factory warranty.

His stuff is good, not great, and fits the needs of many who want to modify their cars without spending a lot of effort researching their options. It is also ridiculously expensive.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #18
Will@P
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNO///M View Post
Thanks Guys for your help, I was about to pull the trigger. Really like the looks of it, It just looks clean. To bad it won't fit.
Have you looked into the AFE setup? Very clean look.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #19
4thM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I think the writers of Road and Track and Car and Driver along with Bimmer Magazine and multiple other mags would tend to disagree with the assessment that DINAN's "consumer" products are not distinguished but I know that any discussion re: DINAN always seems to create heated debate so I leave this alone.

With regard to the AFE setups, the open systems draws air directly from the engine compartment which I don't feel is a good idea. The enclosed system uses the stock intake track which has a very contorted air flow path and just uses a high flow filter. I think that you might see similar gains keeping the entire stock setup and simply replacing the stock air box filter with a high flow filter cartridge but I don't have any data to support this so I may be just as full of hot air as the AFE system.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #20
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think the writers of Road and Track and Car and Driver along with Bimmer Magazine and multiple other mags would tend to disagree with the assessment that DINAN's "consumer" products are not distinguished but I know that any discussion re: DINAN always seems to create heated debate so I leave this alone.

With regard to the AFE setups, the open systems draws air directly from the engine compartment which I don't feel is a good idea. The enclosed system uses the stock intake track which has a very contorted air flow path and just uses a high flow filter. I think that you might see similar gains keeping the entire stock setup and simply replacing the stock air box filter with a high flow filter cartridge but I don't have any data to support this so I may be just as full of hot air as the AFE system.
Not to be argumentative, but do consider the fact that in the magazines you mentioned, there is generally a Dinan advertisement, which also means given their sponsorship, you are less likely to hear anything other then praise for an advertiser.

I've had Dinan products on previous BMWs, some parts have been craftily engineered and been pretty happy with (e.g. Dinan JRZ suspension), others have been simply a re-branded products (e.g. a E39 M5 shifter which was nothing other than an E46 M3 shifter, all the way down to the part number, except of course for the "D" logo, which I promptly returned).

No doubt they make good race engines, and some of their consumer products are indeed well engineered. But as they have grown from a family business to a want-to-be empire, their marketing (and pricing) has gone over the top. They went from offering unique products for most platforms, to offering everything for everybody, which of course resulted in them raiding the BMW parts bin and slapping some logos. I understand that running a race team comes with a lot of R&D, but with their prices they are clearly pushing that to the end consumer. If you are getting the same exhaust as on their race cars, then fine by me to load the brunt of the costs associated with the development to the end user that can benefit from it entirely. But clearly that is not the case.

I think for the fairly new BMW owner or mod novice, Dinan works great (pricing aside). But if one knows his way around and is a seasoned 'modder', there are most often than not either better, or equally good solutions for far better pricing (e.g. buying Supersprint headers for $4K vs. Dinan for $10K, or a Dinan branded brake system vs. getting that straight from Brembo).

And often they get away with the exorbitant pricing by hiding behind the 'warranty' veil. It's like home owners insurance, you feel warm and fizzy at night, until the day you really get to test it, and you realize it is not the shiny golden egg you've been promised. I have had many a friends stuck between Dinan and BMW disputing whose fault it is (in a couple of cases for a well known HPFP), to the point that they had to pay out of pocket for a factory repair. And should you add/change something as simple as an air filter, the Dinan warranty magically turns into a pumpkin by midnight.

Anyhow, back on topic of the CAI, I personally think their approach was quite crafty and nifty, sourcing a secondary air charge from the front of the car. I really hoped it would be a direct PnP as the 'generic' N54 one, and was probably going to swallow the cost given it is the only one in the market (and the CF sure looks cool). But at the expense of eliminating a radiator, oh yeah, and requiring you to purchase more Dinan gear, I am sorry but I'll stay with what the ///M engineers envisioned for this car from its radiator, to its intake system (which recall the tuner shootout in Germany last yr - all of them were running on stock intake, which tells me it is pretty decent).
Appreciate 0