BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #45
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnfsx View Post
well I need the sensors to be "ready" for inspection and no cel. I run a drive cycle and get the cel usually around 30-50 miles. Honestly I am extremely frustrated with this catless dp situation. If all fails I am going to part out. 200 install and uninstall is 400 a year. new dp every year? lol
Damn you have to do that every year? It's every 2 years here. If you remove the code and go to emissions right away, I hear there's a chance you'll pass.

I know a guy who does the DP install for 100 But yeah, that is a pain nonetheless. I hope there is a viable fix sometime soon...

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

2016 M3 | AWE Switchpath Diamond Black 102mm (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #46
xnfsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 2011.75

Any confirmation on that trick?!?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #47
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Any confirmation on that trick?!?
I've probably on heard of this twice and both were speculation. I was going to try it when my time was up just to see what happens. But that won't be for another 2 years haha.

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #48
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Really the DP on the n55 isn't nearly as hard as the N54 one. Really right now your best bet is to learn to do it yourself, it doesn't take too many tools and may take you an hour once you know what you're doing. So if 2 hours of labor to install/remove a part to go faster and pass emissions is too much for you, then maybe you shouldn't be modding to a point where it's considered illegal to be on the roads...or maybe you shouldn't be modding at all.
      01-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #49
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Really the DP on the n55 isn't nearly as hard as the N54 one. Really right now your best bet is to learn to do it yourself, it doesn't take too many tools and may take you an hour once you know what you're doing. So if 2 hours of labor to install/remove a part to go faster and pass emissions is too much for you, then maybe you shouldn't be modding to a point where it's considered illegal to be on the roads...or maybe you shouldn't be modding at all.
Haha it's no bother for me. I don't mind doing the swap myself but I don't have a garage.

No need to beat the guy up though, he's just stressed out. Nonetheless, it would be awesome to find a good fix, right? It would help out a bunch of people.

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #50
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

No need for a garage...just a flat surface and a good tall jack will do. Just remove the front passenger wheel and go in from under there. Wasn't trying to beat him up or anything. I think my post came off a bit crankier than intended. Could have been the lack of morning coffee on my end still.

Not gonna lie, the first time you change the dp it's a huge pain. But once you learn and get the tricks to getting it done down it goes quick.
      01-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #51
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No need for a garage...just a flat surface and a good tall jack will do. Just remove the front passenger wheel and go in from under there. Wasn't trying to beat him up or anything. I think my post came off a bit crankier than intended. Could have been the lack of morning coffee on my end still.

Not gonna lie, the first time you change the dp it's a huge pain. But once you learn and get the tricks to getting it done down it goes quick.
Haha I wouldn't trust my location to do any car work! Kids running around would negligently kick a jackstand in and, see ya later! Not to mention the freezing temps When I had a garage, I spent countless hours working on my subie. It was fun... sometimes.

I feel you, coffee is a vital part of every morning. No harm done

The person that worked on my DP install had issues with removing the OE one because the O2 sensor was inaccessible and caught on something. Is there a trick to that? He eventually squeezed two hands up there to wiggle it loose but it seemed annoying.

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #52
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Buy a O2 sensor wrench? If i'm not mistaken we undid the mid pipes and then loosened the clamp around the turbo and rotated the pipe a bit to get a slightly different angle on the sensor which helped.

Also if a kid can kick your car off a jackstand, he's superman in diapers. A car that's properly lifted on a jack + jackstand will have zero risk of dropping on you short of being pulled off by another car running into it.
      01-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #53
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Buy a O2 sensor wrench? If i'm not mistaken we undid the mid pipes and then loosened the clamp around the turbo and rotated the pipe a bit to get a slightly different angle on the sensor which helped.

Also if a kid can kick your car off a jackstand, he's superman in diapers. A car that's properly lifted on a jack + jackstand will have zero risk of dropping on you short of being pulled off by another car running into it.
He did have an O2 sensor wrench but couldn't fit it all the way up there to remove it prior to taking out the whole DP. I think the only issue was it was hard to fit two hands to leverage the turbo and DP.

Haha yeah, but point being is it's not the safest place. Whether a car hits mine or not, there is always a car parked next to me which doesn't make enough room. Pretty much always prefer to do it in a garage regardless. Peace of mind, don't have to worry about any random car hitting mine, running over my legs, etc.

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #54
xnfsx
Captain
Rep

just did it. will report back after my drive cycle.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #55
xnfsx
Captain
Rep

I think it'll work. I was able to have a spacer and block the other side of it so its closed. I just hung the o2 somewhere else. I would recommend those who are in NYC to go to Ralph B auto in the Bronx and ask for Jimmy. He did it for me. he's awesome and very intelligent the way he worked around it.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #56
xnfsx
Captain
Rep

Update I got 2d1b code with ses. anyone know the cause? description is accelerator pedal module signal 1
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #57
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisko View Post
Damn you have to do that every year? It's every 2 years here.
Yea we are lucky lol
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #58
Fromdubtobmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Currently mkv r32

use a jetted j from rai motorsport had one on my car no cel
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #59
xnfsx
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromdubtobmw
use a jetted j from rai motorsport had one on my car no cel
looked up that spacer and bam it's the same one.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #60
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Update I got 2d1b code with ses. anyone know the cause? description is accelerator pedal module signal 1
That's a weird code. Wonder why you got it?

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #61
NORAGRETS
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP BSM 2012 E82 1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisko
Quote:
That's a weird code. Wonder why you got it?
This is hurting my brain...if JB4 has an auto clear for SES and CEL lights for the N55 why can't they develop an auto clear for the DP only? I want Cobb but if they're not doing a DP fix then burger should develop something that preps readiness...or am I talking nonsense

RIP - E82 135i - 7/7/2021
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #62
xnfsx
Captain
Rep

BMS stopped because "too many wires" or "market share isn't there". I think I'm getting the code because I might've WOT lol. I'll report back later today about the progress.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #63
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhill19 View Post
This is hurting my brain...if JB4 has an auto clear for SES and CEL lights for the N55 why can't they develop an auto clear for the DP only? I want Cobb but if they're not doing a DP fix then burger should develop something that preps readiness...or am I talking nonsense
Nothing out there is known to prep readiness because it's too complicated, requires too much wire splicing or something.

Quote:
BMS stopped because "too many wires" or "market share isn't there". I think I'm getting the code because I might've WOT lol. I'll report back later today about the progress.
Keep us posted! Still curious as to why WOT would have thrown that code, if that is the reason. How many miles are on the car?

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #64
SchnellFowVay
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisko View Post
The "generate rediness" part kind of confuses me, it makes it sound inconvenient? Damn, I'm starting to think I bought a catless DP for no reason haha. I emailed cobb to ask about it as well, I guess I won't hear back until the business week starts.

This is stressing me out
I just went through this fiasco and it cost me a fortune

If you are in a state that has highly sophisticated emissions testing (Nevada being one of them), you will NOT pass emissions.

States with older, simpler tests will be fine. But states where the testing machine checks to see if your O2 sensors are "ready" will fail you. I failed ten times before giving up and paying to get the DP removed (a mere 7 months after originally paying to have it installed.

And worse, the guy who was selling the supposed "fixes" on here disappeared and stole my money.

Installing the DP cost me around $2,000, total, when you count install and uninstall ($500), the nine failed tests (~$300), related dealership bills (long story) (~$500), late registration fines for not getting my car smogged on time (~$500), and guy who stole my money ($200). This doesn't even count the cost of the DP or my time and frustration (huge amoungs of both) Not to mention, I was pulled over when my car wasn't registered (because it didn't pass emissions), so I have a court date next week for that (luckily, I am a lawyer, so I don't need to hire one).

There is no known fix for the n55 kittyless DP. If your state has modern emissions testing machines that read the readyness of your O2 sensors, its not worth it. Particularly in a state like Nevada where the car needs to be smogged every year.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #65
chrisko
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post

If you are in a state that has highly sophisticated emissions testing (Nevada being one of them), you will NOT pass emissions.

States with older, simpler tests will be fine. But states where the testing machine checks to see if your O2 sensors are "ready" will fail you. I failed ten times before giving up and paying to get the DP removed (a mere 7 months after originally paying to have it installed.

And worse, the guy who was selling them on here disappeared and stole my money.

Installing the DP cost me around $2,000, total, when you count install and uninstall ($500), the nine failed tests (~$300), related dealership bills (long story) (~$500), late registration fines for not getting my car smogged on time (~$500), and guy who stole my money ($200). This doesn't even count the cost of the DP or my time and frustration (huge amoungs of both) Not to mention, I was pulled over when my car wasn't registered (because it didn't pass emissions), so I have a court date next week for that (luckily, I am a lawyer, so I don't need to hire one).

There is no known fix for the n55 kittyless DP. If your state has modern emissions testing machines that read the readyness of your O2 sensors, its not worth it. Particularly in a state like Nevada where the car needs to be smogged every year.
Sounds like you got the worst possible situation! Not sure how advanced my states tests are, but smog tests don't happen--just obdII. Not sure how thorough they are either. My catless subaru passed without fail (they even did a catalytic mirror test... must have been negligent).

Worst comes to worst, I'll just have my guy swap back my catted DP and then put it back after. Should be about $200 for everything including reinstall.

Maybe in two years there will be a fix but who knows, whatevs. Gotta pay to play.

2022 X3 M Comp | (SOLD)

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #66
xnfsx
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisko
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post

And worse, the guy who was selling them on here disappeared and stole my money.

Sounds like you got the worst possible situation! Not sure how advanced my states tests are, but smog tests don't happen--just obdII. Not sure how thorough they are either. My catless subaru passed without fail (they even did a catalytic mirror test... must have been negligent).

Worst comes to worst, I'll just have my guy swap back my catted DP and then put it back after. Should be about $200 for everything including reinstall.

Maybe in two years there will be a fix but who knows, whatevs. Gotta pay to play.
well I believe it's wot becauseeeee...I'm on map 0 lol. and auto clear off. I deleted and I am running a new drive cycle to see if it doesn't pop up so far NO CODE FOR 3106!!!!!!! only 2d1b. if anyone have insight if wot on iso jb4 causes this please let me know!
Appreciate 0