E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Does the universal garage door opener work when the car is off?

01-12-2006, 12:14 AM   #1
bsjd00
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Does the universal garage door opener work when the car is off?

On the Audi A4, the garage door opener is disabled as soon as you pull out the key. That's very annoying when you shut the car off in the driveway but would then like to open the garage door.

Does the e90 retain power to the garage door opener even with the car off?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 12:17 AM   #2
nabutes
career student
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

Nope. And this is extremely annoying!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 12:28 AM   #3
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I still have yet to figure out how to program this. The correct owners manual was not given to me at purchase, so I'm having to do things by trial and error.
      01-12-2006, 12:31 AM   #4
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman
I still have yet to figure out how to program this. The correct owners manual was not given to me at purchase, so I'm having to do things by trial and error.
it's really easy. Just hold your garage opener up to the homelink and press hold it down. Simultaneously, press down on one of the homelink buttons. It takes about 30 seconds til the homelink start blinking. Once it starts blinking you can let go. THat should work
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 01:36 AM   #5
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

No, and it's a safety feature designed specifically to prevent crooks from smashing your windows to break into your garage by opening your garage doors, if you so happen to be parked outside your garage.

As far as I know, all cars with UGDO built-in is powered off when the car is off.

Can you imagine the lawsuits that would fly if the power to the UGDO remained on all the time, and the above scenario happens?
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 01:39 AM   #6
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

toyota's work with the car off and no key in ignition

firstkill
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 01:41 AM   #7
visor
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkill

firstkill
Wow, good to know where the first lawsuits will come from...

BTW, welcome to E90post!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 10:31 AM   #8
bsjd00
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

It's not a matter of leaving them powered all the time. I understand your concerns there.

The real question is why they can't stay powered for, say, 1 or 2 minutes after you turn off the car. There is no security/lawsuit risk there.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 10:41 AM   #9
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor
No, and it's a safety feature designed specifically to prevent crooks from smashing your windows to break into your garage by opening your garage doors, if you so happen to be parked outside your garage.

As far as I know, all cars with UGDO built-in is powered off when the car is off.

Can you imagine the lawsuits that would fly if the power to the UGDO remained on all the time, and the above scenario happens?
Yea but currently my garage door opener clipped to the visor works fine when the car is off. So I don't see the "liability" issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 11:02 AM   #10
dkizerian
Digital Ruler
Rep
Drives: 325i AW/Terra

Quote:
If you go to the homelink website there are instructions too.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 11:08 AM   #11
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstkill

firstkill
So does VW and maybe Mercedes. BMW just refuses to have any power available to anything when the car is off.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 11:08 AM   #12
JackMac
Recovering BMW Addict
Scotland
Rep
Drives: <OO (|||)(|||) OO>

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkizerian
If you go to the homelink website there are instructions too.
Yes, the homelink website instructions were actually better than the BMW manual for rolling code devices. Here it is:

Quote:
First time programming

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)

2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your overhead), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.

3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)

Note: Some garage door openers may require you to replace step 3 with the “cycling” procedure noted in the “View Canadian Instructions” section.

4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.

If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.

If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.

5. At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener’s manual or contact us.

6. Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.

7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 11:09 AM   #13
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:

And you're okay with that? I think for the price you paid for your car they could get you the correct manual. Mine would be coming FedEx next day - you can bet your ass on that!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 11:23 AM   #14
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Where is the Homelink on the E90? On my E46, a little rewiring had it working with the car off; anyone have more info? Can I assume its a seperate little black box up in the headliner with a few buttons on it?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 11:27 AM   #15
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsjd00
On the Audi A4, the garage door opener is disabled as soon as you pull out the key. That's very annoying when you shut the car off in the driveway but would then like to open the garage door.

Does the e90 retain power to the garage door opener even with the car off?
It works just like the audi as you described. I like it that way for safety reason. What if you park your car outside one day, some punk could break into the car and pressed the garage and get access to your house entry that way. Once they've opened the garage, they can closed the garage and do what the heck they want without anyone seeing a thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #16
krndanic307
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: F20 M140

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
So does VW and maybe Mercedes. BMW just refuses to have any power available to anything when the car is off.
Exept the radio
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 04:56 PM   #17
Jon_Hanson
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP
Where is the Homelink on the E90? On my E46, a little rewiring had it working with the car off; anyone have more info? Can I assume its a seperate little black box up in the headliner with a few buttons on it?
It's on the rear-view mirror but only if you got the Premium Package.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 05:47 PM   #18
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Ah, its one of those. Honestly, it has been so long, I dont remember if the homelink has its own power in the rear view mirror harness, or if it feeds off the circuit that powers the dimming feature of the mirror.

Basically, the procedure I did was to cut the switched power that goes to the homelink, then use the constant power feed, which goes to the overhead lights in the headliner.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 05:49 PM   #19
visor
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo89
Yea but currently my garage door opener clipped to the visor works fine when the car is off. So I don't see the "liability" issue.
I don't know about the safety of your city/neighbourhood, but here in Vancouver, BC, Canada, we're #1 in North America in terms of property crimes (ie. break and enter) due to lenient sentencing and drug addicts.

This hasn't happened to me, but many insurance agents have warned me about the following.

What the perp will do: if they see that you have one of those clip-on garage door openers in your car, they'll break into your car to take that and your insurance papers which so conveniently happen to be in your glove compartment. Then, knowing your address on your papers, they'll drive to your house, simply open your garage door with your remote, drive in, close garage door, and they can do/take whatever they want from your garage. And of course, if they can break into your house from the garage, they'll do that too, even if your house alarm may sound, they'll have 2-3 minutes to grab whatever they can get their hands on before your alarm company can get hold of you or the police.

So, don't take that chance and leave your garage remote lying around in the car! Crooks these days are quite sophisticated!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #20
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabutes
Nope. And this is extremely annoying!
SAME HERE!!!!!!!You cannot even use the homelink system with the accessory on. you HAVE to have the car in the on position.
      01-12-2006, 06:18 PM   #21
ex-poster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor
What the perp will do: if they see that you have one of those clip-on garage door openers in your car, they'll break into your car to take that and your insurance papers which so conveniently happen to be in your glove compartment. Then, knowing your address on your papers, they'll drive to your house, simply open your garage door with your remote, drive in, close garage door, and they can do/take whatever they want from your garage.
This is exactly why I do NOT carry any title, insurance or any other identifying papers in the car. I even take my parking tickets with me when I park somewhere (say, the airport). This information is on my person, so I have it if need be.

I very much want a miscreant to either come up empty as far as that info goes, or for them to be challenged in some way if they get stopped.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 08:33 PM   #22
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh
This is exactly why I do NOT carry any title, insurance or any other identifying papers in the car. I even take my parking tickets with me when I park somewhere (say, the airport). This information is on my person, so I have it if need be.

I very much want a miscreant to either come up empty as far as that info goes, or for them to be challenged in some way if they get stopped.
There is nothing in my car with my address on it.

I don't leave my car at the airport (couldn't take the knowledge that my baby is out in the open for any period of time..). I live about 15 minutes from it so the cab fare to and from is less than parking for a couple of days.

Anyway since I live a city ranked as the safest place to live in the country for something like 8 out of the last 10 years (Amherst, NY), I don't have to worry too much about things like this now.
Appreciate 0