BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Smile Randy Pobst vs. the Rest of the World....

Slow day at work today, so my coworkers and I divided and conquered the different talking posts by RP. With a littler cutting and pasting we take a walk down memory lane. Enjoy!

Feel free to add your favorite 1M quotes in your posts!

RANDY POBST'S IMPRESSIONS VS. The rest of the world...

On handling... "....I hate this car. It won't turn. The thing I didn't like...was its mid-corner understeer, its reluctance to turn once it was in the corner....That it is very lazy on turn-in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTOCAR View Post
....overwhelmingly positive. Even on tricky sections of blacktop, the M Coupé is deceptively fast, possessing the sort of grip to carry big speeds through corners with true authority. And it achieves this while providing the sort of feedback you won’t find in any rival, RS3 included.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobile View Post
It doesn't do understeer. Nope, not one bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Motor und Sport(German) View Post
The grip is impressive, thanks to the limited slip diff and the 265mm rear tires - as long as the driver keeps their foot on the throttle and the road is dry and smooth. The 1M shines and can be considered one the best sports cars in these conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMERPOST-Jason and Donnie Isley View Post
Overall, the 1M handles and steers just as great as the M3....Put simply, like the M3, the 1M's suspension/handling is agile and responsive enough for spirited driving around town or a weekend at the track, but not so razor-edged or stiff that it makes regular daily driving tedious. M engineers really have struck a happy medium here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARandDRIVER View Post
...the 1M return(ed) an impressive 0.97 g on the skidpad and rocket through the emergency-lane-change maneuver at 69.4 mph. Both are best in test(beating the Audi TT RS & Infiniti IPL G Coupe) by a significant margin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAR Enthusiasts(UK) View Post
...the springs and dampers are fixed rate - the 1 M is both supple and subtle. There's overall smoothness to its motion on all but the bubbliest of roads, yet the complexity of the road surface is still transmitted through the seat and steering wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harris-EVO Magazine View Post
In short, the 1M is a much more usable car. It debunks the "it's not a proper M car" myths. M cars are not about engines, they are about chassis. The chassis is pure M car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifth Gear View Post
The quality of control in and amongst the corners is equally striking.....the car returns huge pace as poised and commanding grip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Trend View Post
It holds to Willow's sweeping second turn with tenacity and communicates clearly when it wants to slide. Such cornering aptitude should come as no surprise, considering the M3 gear in use. While it is as wide as that car, the big difference is the 1M's 4-inch-shorter wheelbase, which helps instill nimbleness on back roads, but translates to a touch of twitchiness in high-speed segments and heavy braking zones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopnik View Post
The 1M can carry an astounding amount of speed through corners, and there's plenty of advance warning before the tires finally give way...... it provides ridiculous amounts of grip from contact patches the size of Staten Island.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopularMechanics View Post
....at New York's Monticello Motor Club Raceway, as well as on back roads getting to and from the track, and it proved every bit the hero car BMW has always strived for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hammond View Post
...The ride is excellent at high speeds so you aren’t worried you’ll be bounced into a field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Auto View Post
...(1M)reminds them of the old BMW times. It's good to know that not all cars are tuned in to understeer for safety reasons.
Quote:
...the 1M lapped the Hockenheim in 1:14.1. To add some perspective, the fastest time Sport Auto got for the M3 was 1:14.2 in an E92 M3 ZCP DCT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Marriage-Top Gear View Post
...yields utterly sensational handling....No corruption through steering or chassis, the weight centered in the car. It just does what you tell it to, and it does it simply, accurately and entertainingly.
On the transmission... "The shifter is slick, and light. I really enjoy that. You gotta do it just with your fingertips. If you try to muscle it with a fist, you're gonna get the wrong gear."
Quote:
...six closely spaced gears, selected by a delightful short-throw shifter and a long-travel clutch pedal.
Quote:
The 1M's gearbox is its one part we can say is better than the M3's, with no qualifications. It's an ultra-slick shifting transmission where each shift smoothly and neatly clicks into gear. There is simply no slop or stickiness, which the M3 exhibits on occasion. The 1M's gear knob also appears to be shorter, which leads to shorter shift travel, and a faster shift. It was a pleasure to use in all the conditions we encountered during the day.
Quote:
...the gearbox, which isn't the most mechanical you'll come across in feel, but is short throw, positively weighed and silkily damped.
Quote:
The gearbox and clutch may be the best in the(BMW) lineup, making heel-toe effortless...
Quote:
the 1M is a good one- short of throw, loves being PUNCHED through the gate and, being mechanical, connects you to the car.
On the steering... "....I just didn't like what happened with the handling as I turned the wheel, there was just not enough response entering the corner. And braking hard made it worse. A lot worse. I mean, that car would go straight if I was in the brakes very hard at all. So, I found it very disappointing."
Quote:
The steering is old-school heavy in its weighting and extremely direct. In combination with the altered front suspension geometry – which includes increased camber, altered offset and a greater number of aluminium components – it turns in far more eagerly than the 135i Coupé, and as lateral forces build it continues to track faithfully, allowing you to correct your line with small adjustments.
Quote:
The 1M's wheelbase is 4 inches shorter than the M3 while having the same track width. And at 3,362 pounds curb weight, it's also 342 pounds lighter than the M3. Taken together, what we experienced from these factors was that the 1M offered a slightly better turn-in than the M3, but also less stability at very high speeds. Turning at the higher speeds, the 1M was a hairier affair than the M3 and required more attention and fine steering adjustments. But, we're describing behavior in the triple digit MPH range...
Quote:
The steering is hydraulic - a dying breed - and while its outright purity is tarnished by speed variable assistance (so it's light when you're parking), at higher speed its weighted and geared beautifully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAR Magazine View Post
BMW M is steadily improving its steering too. The M3 has taken a step forward since launch in 2007, the helm of the latest Competition Pack cars offering up more clarity to the driver, and the steering of the 1-series M is even crisper.
Quote:
...the best-tuned Servotronic steering yet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopnik View Post
... the 1M turns much more aggressively than the longer M3.
Quote:
Steering is sharp and intuitive to the point where you could predict the car's path during a drift after just 30 minutes of track time.
On the engine... "The engine is smooth, the power is reasonably good, but in today's world, that's not a fast car. I'm telling ya, it is not a fast car in today's world. Maybe because I've just spent too much time in 500-horsepower cars."
Quote:
The 1M coupe's straight six can twist out (369 lb-ft) practically anywhere in the rev range, all of which hits the rear axle like a turbocharged slap on the ass. The 1M coupe is slightly quicker(than the M3) in a straight line, and its silken six is remarkably lag free -- for a turbocharged engine.....it's true that it's not really an M engine. No, we don't care. Nor should you. It's too good to fault.
Quote:
...0-62 mph is done in 4.7 seconds which is not only 2 tenths of a second less than BMW's claim but also on par with the way more powerful M3. Even more impressive is its flexibility. The 1-series M Coupé needs only 6.5 seconds to accelerate from 50 mph to 75 mph in 6th gear whereas our last M3 test car clocked 7.9 seconds."

"It pulls strong in every gear, accompanied by an 'angry' exhaust note. Typical BMW: Despite being turbocharged, the engine doesn't run out of steam but pulls strong all the way up to 7,000 rpm. Typical M: Cornering is just as much fun.
Quote:
Torque torque and more torque! The 1M pulls hard throughout the rev range and in all gears, making the car great for daily driving conditions and arguably better as a daily driver (at least from a torque perspective)....Its wide torque band means not having to always watch what gear you're in for good acceleration. The downside, if any, is that the N54 in the 1M isn't as rev happy as the free revving M3 S65 engine and doesn't sound nearly as good.
Quote:
.... it's absolutely rapid, with the sort of propulsive savagery that even an M3 can't match. On the track the bigger car's V8 might just have the edge (the M3 is, officially 0.1 seconds quicker to 62mph), but everywhere else, the brute pick-up of this twin-turbo engine has it pummelled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harris-EVO Magazine View Post
...The car doesn't suffer from turbo lag and doesn't get much more fun. For the money, it has to be one of the best fun cars you can buy.....Does it feel like an M engine? No it doesn't, but it provides massive usable everyday performance. This car in the real world is as quick, if not quicker, than the E92 M3. An absolutely cracking car.
Quote:
... the twin-turbocharged inline six replaces the M3’s eight-cylinder howling gusto with the kind of punchy, inexhaustibly responsive torque band that makes the M Coupe feel tremendously quick between, and through corners.
Quote:
Forward thrust arrives like a sucker punch. The 332 pound-feet of peak torque arrives at 1500 rpm, but an "Overboost" function ups that figure to 370 when you snap the throttle. The result is an exceptionally potent powerband that returns phenomenal top-gear acceleration...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hammond View Post
...This is a seriously fast car.
Quote:
....revving like it's naturally aspirated. Nothing with a turbo I can think of has ever been this snappy, this focused and eager. It's bloody brilliant!

Overall... "....it's not really good at putting the power down, either. I'm just not impressed with this car. I like the M3 so much that I find the 1M to be very, very disappointing, though the M3 understeers too much, too.....I hate to pick on what is obviously overall is a pretty good car, but in today's world there are not very many cars I hate...I hate this car."
Quote:
It’s one of the best-looking M-cars in some time. ....The longer you spend at the wheel of the M Coupé, the more you come to appreciate its overall ability. Its focus is perhaps a little broader than we’ve come to expect from BMW M, but when it arrives in the UK next month it’ll be just as keenly sought after. It’s not a junior M3, as many suggested it would be. No, it has its own distinct character and, in real-world terms, is a good deal faster than its more expensive sibling.
Quote:
...if we were choosing which M car to buy, we'd be standing in line for a 1-series M coupe. Yeah, it's $14,065 cheaper than an M3 coupe, but that's not why. We love the newest, smallest M because it's exactly what an M car should be.....BMW has reached into the parts bin and crafted a masterpiece. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchwork.
Quote:
But the whole package is spot on, the 1M is convincing as a pure sports car - including all benefits for track use and some downsides for daily use. BMW M kept up to their promises and delivered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARandDRIVER View Post
The BMW 1M is neither a performance poseur nor a cynical styling exercise. It’s the clear winner.
Quote:
Junior M3? No chance. Meet the new daddy of the M Division.....The junior M car is everything we hoped it would be, and some.
Quote:
CAR Enthusiasts drives the BMW 1M back-to-back against the Porsche Cayman R and comes in with their verdict - "the M is the one we'd take home."
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAR Magazine View Post
The 1-series M is a proper M car, no doubt...Our first experience of a proper turbocharged M Division machine has unveiled a 1-series with a character all its own. It’s definitely not a hotted-up 135i, and now we’re looking forward to the future of M.
Quote:
...the M Coupe feels like a car crafted with genuine enthusiasm rather than one simply to built to rival the competition.
Quote:
The 1M is an extraordinarily fun car. After an all-day lapping session on the big course at Willow Springs, all I could think about is how to steal more time driving it.
Quote:
...this will be one of those sleeper BMWs people are going to talk about and lust after for years to come.
Quote:
All You Need In A Sports Car
Quote:
Personally, I'd have a 1M over an M3, in fact over pretty much every car I've driven this year.
      10-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

I have a theory that might explain some of the disconnect between RP and others:
If I remember correctly, they noted in Randy's brief, track only test that they inflated all the tires (except the GTRs) to 4 psi over recommended, as that was the tire rack's standard advice for tracking. And with most cars that tend to roll the sidewalls over that's probably sound advice, but I can tell you that with the 19s I've run they are not getting rolled over, especially by lighter cars. These tires were specifically designed for the M3, remember, which is putting more than 10% more load on them all around- if anything you're going to want to run them at lower pressures. Meanwhile grip can fall off quickly at higher pressures (PS2s do seem sensitive in my experience), especially if they got a little pressure-rise from the heat. I suspect the 1M would have done much better at stock pressures; like Nissan, BMW knows many of these will see the track, and they might also have suggested the recommended pressure wasn't changed if they'd been asked.

Randy's main complaints- "doesn't put power down", "understeer", both stem from a lack of grip, which tests indicate is generally not an issue with the 1M. But it certainly would be an issue if you got the tire pressures significantly wrong.

After that his main issue is simply that it's not a fast car. And personally, I tend to agree. Quick enough to be fun, sure, but fast? Depends on your perspective, but not from where I'm sitting.
      10-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

great effort
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
I’m appalled that you didn't include any Jeremy Clarkson quotes? On second thought, that was probably a good idea since his cynicism is often misinterpreted.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Thx OP, this thread might just become my automotive safe house.

And will somebody please give this RP dude a BJ, alternatively ask him to stop his vinegar diet before reviewing cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
YVES1M
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m aw (kwv3) meisterschaf

Good work! Bravo! Feels good!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
After that his main issue is simply that it's not a fast car. And personally, I tend to agree. Quick enough to be fun, sure, but fast? Depends on your perspective, but not from where I'm sitting.
Sure, if you're comparing a 1M to your modded Porsche that has twice the power to weight ratio.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

did you really have to prove that your car is awesome?
      10-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
Lord_Goda
Rep
Drives: M3

who is this RP? and why are we taking notice of somebody who writes like a 12yr old blogger??
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Maybe I should drop my sig so I don't come off as a dick. I'm just saying that in a world where the base corvette has 25% more power and weighs a couple hundred pounds less than the 1M it's difficult to call it truly fast...
      10-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #11
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

Nothing is fast...... after seeing Top Fuel cars run NHRA drags.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #12
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
....After that his main issue is simply that it's not a fast car. And personally, I tend to agree. Quick enough to be fun, sure, but fast? Depends on your perspective, but not from where I'm sitting.

Quote:
Maybe I should drop my sig so I don't come off as a dick. I'm just saying that in a world where the base corvette has 25% more power and weighs a couple hundred pounds less than the 1M it's difficult to call it truly fast...
Damn, you beat me to my reply:

I don't think a 1969 Porsche 911 w/ 997 GT3 Cup Motor should be used as a benchmark for fast 'production' cars on the market today. Fact is, RP did not make the lack of power comment about other comparably powered cars shows he's got an axe to grind with the 1M. You can't say a car is "not fast" while that very car is keeping pace with the cars you think are fast, on and of the track. Kinda like the Vette you are referring to:

Hockenheim:
Corvette Coupe 6.2 C6= 1:14.10____127__'08___436 / 1462 Sport Auto
BMW 1 Series M Coupe= 1:14.10____127__'11___340 / 1513 Sport Auto
      10-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
Nah, that's totally not what this is about at all. Just a lot of Randy P. leg-humping taking place on the forum lately. We were just having fun with the quotes of so many sources that contradict his wild comments. That's all. Take it for what it's worth.

People are entitled to their opinions like Pete_vB, and as long as they are consistent, does'nt bother me on bit. You just can't say the 1M "not fast" and then take another car that performs almost identical in every aspect and then say "now this IS fast!"
      10-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #14
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
seriously, not this again...
      10-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #15
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Thumbs up

Nice work Metak.

The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #16
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

RP = random abbreviated code for douche bag.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #17
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Thx OP, this thread might just become my automotive safe house.

And will somebody please give this RP dude a BJ, alternatively ask him to stop his vinegar diet before reviewing cars.
I'm sure GoingTooFast will be along soon to oblige. His buddy is already getting on his knees on this thread.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #18
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Nice job!

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 12:53 AM   #19
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
Nice work Metak.

Do delivery chicks look like her in the USA? Man, I'm so living in the wrong country for the second reason
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 05:07 AM   #20
WULFFZA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport / 2012 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald View Post
Do delivery chicks look like her in the USA? Man, I'm so living in the wrong country for the second reason
Wait till you see their big, brown.... trucks.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 05:41 AM   #21
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

wow outstanding. When I watched that video I distinctly remember thinking why is he complaining about understeer when on another video I'm sure they mentioned GREAT turn in and corner balance, but this is overkill. hahaha
I wonder what he based his review off of and if he is even a valid reviewer
Great job
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #22
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

Come you guys, your missing the big issues here.

RP is a old guy, that drives a all wheel drive VOLVO!

Maybe he'll like the 1M more if he put's his "boys" back in his sack?

BTW, Randy, your wife wants her car back.
Appreciate 0