BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-28-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

N54 oil leaks

We all know about the oil filter housing and Vanos oil leaks.
But lately we have been doing heaps of cam cover gaskets, bit of a bugger to do, it seems that the rubber gasket gets hard, cracks and ends up as a nasty oil leak, watch out for this one
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 06:15 AM   #2
c0ris07
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I am replacing mine shortly, cover and all. When you say "bugger to do" can you be more specific? Anything to look out for?

Theres a DIY on here thats quite detailed so I was planning on following that.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 03:26 AM   #3
R3N
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: None

What else do you guys replace when replacing the gasket? Bolts as well? I've had an indy supposedly replace the gasket on mine twice, but it still leaks. The head mechanic told me the bolts stretch, but insure if true as they aren't aluminium.

Will be ordering a complete cover set and getting someone else to do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 05:49 AM   #4
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3N View Post
What else do you guys replace when replacing the gasket? Bolts as well? I've had an indy supposedly replace the gasket on mine twice, but it still leaks. The head mechanic told me the bolts stretch, but insure if true as they aren't aluminium.

Will be ordering a complete cover set and getting someone else to do it.
The bolts are Al, so there is a chance they could 'twist' and then snap (hence why they're for one time use)

It's common that the valve cover has a fracture (they're made from plastic) or it could also be your oil filter housing gasket? Have heard of a few oil pan gaskets leaking also...

Where's yours leaking? (is it actually leaking, or is oil just being consumed?)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
R3N
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Haven't been able to get a straight answer. BMW one time bolts are marked blue, these aren't. Also is magnetic, hence assumption they are steel.

Indy told me the valve cover wasn't cracked or warped. But they've lied to me so unsure what to believe. Will change the lot for peace of mind.

Definitely leaking. Already changed oil cooler housing gaskets and VANOS seals. This is definitely coming from the VC
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
ASPEC135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: sideways always

Since we're on this topic...

A few buddies of mine were randomly discussing about oil leaks the other day. We're all just a bunch of car enthusiasts, not experts. One fellow mentioned that cars that are driven regularly and often don't experience as much gasket leakage issues as compared to cars that are stored over winter.

Any truth on this?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Haven't been able to get a straight answer. BMW one time bolts are marked blue, these aren't. Also is magnetic, hence assumption they are steel.

Indy told me the valve cover wasn't cracked or warped. But they've lied to me so unsure what to believe. Will change the lot for peace of mind.

Definitely leaking. Already changed oil cooler housing gaskets and VANOS seals. This is definitely coming from the VC
surely they'd tell you.. you know, so they can replace it and charge you more money? :/
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:

hmm I hadn't actually clarified that they're ferrous! Having said that I have had a few broken tappet cover bolts over the years and they aren't fun to replace!!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:

Who's the mechanic?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #10
R3N
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
surely they'd tell you.. you know, so they can replace it and charge you more money? :/
Was done through them under warranty as the car was bought interstate. Took it there initially and was told gasket replaced. Few months later noticed leaking as i had engine covers off so i took it back and they had the car for a day, supposedly a new gasket installed. I was told old new gasket was defective. Noticed still leaking few days after so took back again. Head mechanic told it was the bolts and would order and give me a call. 2 weeks later found out head mechanic had moved on. Owner of business denied any work was done on car when i brought it back second time. Had enough of the lies and will never see a cent from me.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #11
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

I've heard that since the covers themselves warp and once you take it off to replace the gasket, most times it will never seal correctly again. It's advised to replace the whole cover at the same time.
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #12
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Was done through them under warranty as the car was bought interstate. Took it there initially and was told gasket replaced. Few months later noticed leaking as i had engine covers off so i took it back and they had the car for a day, supposedly a new gasket installed. I was told old new gasket was defective. Noticed still leaking few days after so took back again. Head mechanic told it was the bolts and would order and give me a call. 2 weeks later found out head mechanic had moved on. Owner of business denied any work was done on car when i brought it back second time. Had enough of the lies and will never see a cent from me.
Have you had a look yourself?

Sometimes dodgy guys just run a bead of silicon on the outside to stop the leak (quick and easy and dodgy!) Is there any type of sealant around the valve cover?

Chances are you're going to have to fork out to get it done properly!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #13
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful View Post
I've heard that since the covers themselves warp and once you take it off to replace the gasket, most times it will never seal correctly again. It's advised to replace the whole cover at the same time.
I agree with you.

Took mine in to the dealership for the Vanos Bolts recall, they changed 2 new sets of gasket and still leaked oil.

Checked and found out the cover have warpped.

So third round ordered in a new rocket cover with a new set of gasket, no oil leak since then.

Wonder why stealership are so dumb!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #14
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Sometimes the cover is cracked and then you have to replace it. But a warped cover? news to me, i don't see how you could go wrong if you take your time, and are careful with the assembly.
The bolts are steel i don't replace them unless some Gorilla has been there before.
The rubber gasket is thick and will have preload when assembled, just nip the bolts up against the steel spacer and all will be fine

Make sure the head face is clean and dry, do not use any sealer
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 05:56 AM   #15
R3N
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Have you had a look yourself?

Sometimes dodgy guys just run a bead of silicon on the outside to stop the leak (quick and easy and dodgy!) Is there any type of sealant around the valve cover?

Chances are you're going to have to fork out to get it done properly!

Yea had a decent look, doesnt look like any sealant was used. Will just spend the money and get it all replaced. Annoying as i would have happily paid fot the extra parts cost if they gave me the option and was upfront about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #16
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Had oil leak from my N54 cam cover gasket a few years ago. Under warranty, I took it back to local dealer who cleaned it up & told me they could find no leak. It hasn't leaked since...

Last week I noticed a baddish leak from the RH seal of my diff. Not sure how old the diff is as it's a Quaife replacement unit. Had both L & R seals replaced yesterday + new oil.
      02-20-2015, 05:05 AM   #17
OneM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

I just had my oil pan gasket leak as well. Did a little research and most likely causes:

1. oil not up to temperature + driving on load = pressure increases = blows gasket

2. over-filling engine oil = same, pressure increase

The 1M has an extra radiator plus an oil cooler ..it takes forever to get the oil up to temp. So now I'm on 0W-30 (instead of 5W-30), and the oil comes up to temp a lot faster. My trips are fairly short so depends on individual.

Last edited by OneM; 02-20-2015 at 05:27 AM..
Appreciate 0