BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Earthquake install report

A little back story, I've been driving my EO speakers and subs with a shop-installed PDX-5 and 3Sixty.2 and they sound pretty damn good. When you REALLY turn up the volume and turn the sub control to 10 you almost feel like you're listening to a full aftermarket setup.

However, I have noticed that the OE sub, even under additional amplification is a little boomy, not as crisp or punchy as I'd like. It just never gets to the point where it feels like you're being punched in the colon as in a true high powered aftermarket setup (my last setup had 2x JL 12W6v2-D4 running 1100 watts total for reference).

The fact that my system is already setup with amplification tremendously simplified this process. I used these two guides

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163804

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=145075&page=2

so I'm only going to post my observations in support or in addition to what they've already provided the community.

A ratcheted socket wrench is a MUST HAVE and the seats come out extremely easily. I also used the ratchet to remove the black speaker cover and the bolts holding the enclosure.

Removing the fins on the bottom of the enclosure does not require a dremel. I actually used an adjustable wrench and by the second enclosure, I was removing entire ribs, not just fragments. The technique is to start at one end and flex the rib, sliding the wrench progressively down the rib until the rib base is stressed along the entire length. At that point it can snap off whole, nearly flush with the base of the enclosure.

After stripping the ribs, I covered the entire interior of the enclosure in dynamat, or as nearly as I could. Since the seats are so easy to get out, I declined to dynamat the ports into the side skirts, deferring that project to another day. Dynamating the enclosure isn't a requirement, but as I was taking the original sub out I noticed the enclosure seemed kind of hollow and resonating to the tap, so I figured a little dampening was appropriate. Sorry, no pictures of my nasty dynamat job.

I ran dynamat around the lip where the sub sits to improve dampening and help seal the enclosure. I also ran thin strips around just the lip to increase the standoff from the bottom of the enclosure. The Earthquake SWS-8 does not mount flush in the enclosure; it fits, but with some tweaking to get a proper seal. For this reason, foam weather stripping is KEY. I bought some 5/16 thick foam and it worked LIKE A CHARM. Highly compressible, it completes the seal without using glues, goop, or anything that would make the installation more permanent, or at least a hassle to remove.

The keyhole gap where the OE speaker wires clip in is a bit of a problem, but nothing unmanageable. It certainly doesn't require lexan like the guy in the top link used. I simply used small pieces of dynamat then after running the power cable through and mounting the subwoofer, I hot glued the whole area about 1/2" thick. I figured thats a pretty good seal.

The OE power cables to the subwoofers are very heavy stuff, solid core or very thick strands, at least 14 guage. The clip assembly posed a bit of a problem since I wanted the install reversible. I wound up using some U end crimps to insert into the clip. It works well, holds in place, and keeps things stock as possible without resorting to cutting and soldering.

I haven't had time to re-tune my 3Sixty.2 but initial impressions are very good. There is still an element of boomy-ness to the system but the punch and raw power are way up. I can turn the system a lot louder before I hear the distortion creeping in. Its powerful enough that it vibrates my pants and kinda tickles the hairs on my legs. Its a bit crashy when listening outside the car but I have to do some tuning. I have yet to figure out a way to keep the sub from tapping the foam bottom on the carpet. Any suggestions are welcome that don't include cutting the carpet. The seat rails are the biggest hinderance, since they force the carpet down closer to the sub. When REALLY cranking it I can hear the sub flutter against the carpet producing distortion. Anything below about 2/3 maximum gain its not noticeable.

Is this upgrade worth it over amplifying the OE subs? Hard to say. I did it because I like doing these projects, as stressfull as they can be sometimes. If you don't listen to base heavy music, definitly not; amplify the stockers and leave it at that. If you listen to a lot of hip-hop, electronic/techno/pop, hell yes. There is definitely a MORE than noticeable difference in the low end extension and overall volume. I'll post more impressions as I fine tune the install and review more of my favorite songs.

Attached Images

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep

A few more pictures that might be worth a look.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep

A more detailed comparison between the OEM sub and the Earthquake SWS-8.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' BSM E82

how does the car sound like from the outside?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM 135i View Post

how does the car sound like from the outside?
Like crap, honestly. I need to hunt down the reason it sounds so crashy.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Z View Post
Like crap, honestly. I need to hunt down the reason it sounds so crashy.
well i guess it's what it sounds like in the inside that counts..i'm def going to consider going your route. thanks man! btw thanks for Ronald Jenkees recommendation...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well i guess it's what it sounds like in the inside that counts..i'm def going to consider going your route. thanks man! btw thanks for Ronald Jenkees recommendation...
It sounds like somebody has some subs in the car, but not a serious, monster system worthy of respect.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #8
BSM 135i
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

ouch
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ouch
Well, the only way to get there is to dynamat the whole vehicle and run two or four 12's or something like that.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #10
swiftss13
808 Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 135i /05 325i

You went the same route that I am wanting to go. what components are you thinking of?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 08:15 AM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:

1) I haven't had time to re-tune my 3Sixty.2 but initial impressions are very good. There is still an element of boomy-ness to the system but the punch and raw power are way up. I can turn the system a lot louder before I hear the distortion creeping in. Its powerful enough that it vibrates my pants and kinda tickles the hairs on my legs. Its a bit crashy when listening outside the car but I have to do some tuning. 2) I have yet to figure out a way to keep the sub from tapping the foam bottom on the carpet. Any suggestions are welcome that don't include cutting the carpet. The seat rails are the biggest hinderance, since they force the carpet down closer to the sub. When REALLY cranking it I can hear the sub flutter against the carpet producing distortion. 3) Anything below about 2/3 maximum gain its not noticeable.
1) The SWS-8 works the best if bandpassed between 35Hz and 150Hz. All that "boominess" comes from trying to work outside that range.

The 3SIXTY.2 can do that without any problem.

2) This really works to eliminate the carpet rattle as posted in the link above:

3) There's no need to adjust the gain of the PDX for the SWS-8, it can remain at minimum or at the most 1/4. The SWS-8 tight "punch" will come from adjusting the EQ bands between the band pass and by increasing the output level of the 3SIXTY.2.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #12
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep

Good stuff. I don't have a PDA but my laptop has bluetooth. I just can't get the application to connect to the 3Sixty.2 for some reason. :/ The manual isn't any help.

The main issue with the carpet, I think isn't the cover, its the carpet forced down by the seat rail. I'm going to see how it works with the carpet ABOVE the black speaker cover. I'd really rather not have to get some lexan and learn how to deal with more fabrication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
1) The SWS-8 works the best if bandpassed between 35Hz and 150Hz. All that "boominess" comes from trying to work outside that range.

The 3SIXTY.2 can do that without any problem.

2) This really works to eliminate the carpet rattle as posted in the link above:

3) There's no need to adjust the gain of the PDX for the SWS-8, it can remain at minimum or at the most 1/4. The SWS-8 tight "punch" will come from adjusting the EQ bands between the band pass and by increasing the output level of the 3SIXTY.2.

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #13
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Good stuff. I don't have a PDA but my laptop has bluetooth. I just can't get the application to connect to the 3Sixty.2 for some reason. :/ The manual isn't any help.
This is supposedly the software that you need to use a PC to connect to the 3SIXTY.2... http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rnt/r...y2_PC_V103.zip

...from here: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/scrip...%3Afaqs.faq_id
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #14
Bye Bye GTI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I sliced off the sound deadening from the underside of the carpet around the speaker area. It looks stock and the subs come no where near the carpet with the covers on.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
This is supposedly the software that you need to use a PC to connect to the 3SIXTY.2... http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rnt/r...y2_PC_V103.zip

...from here: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/scrip...%3Afaqs.faq_id
Yea, I had all that. I discovered it was a known issue with the Toshiba sourced bluetooth controller in my Asus laptop. I busted out my other laptop and it fired right up. It took me a while to learn the software and I screwed up the first setup but after about half an hour of tinkering I've got it properly bandpassed and it sounds a lot more precise. The only problem now is fixing the carpet. I might have to cut the foam off. I don't think it'll impact much, negatively.

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 07:11 AM   #16
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep

Holey gamoley. I busted out the hip-hop on my way to workout this morning and DAYUM I'm pleased with this system. I'm not really feeling the need to upgrade the full range speakers at all but the upgraded subs are EXACTLY what this system needed. Its a perfect blend of punch, low end extension, and loudness that can get RIDICULOUS once you give the volume knob a firm twist to the right. w00t!

Now I need to find somebody with the Logic 7 system so we can do a side-by-side to determine HOW much better a <$2000 install sounds compared to the $800 option. Anybody in Missouri? I'm near Springfield, Mo and am willing to drive to St. Louis for a nice little 1er meet. Not this weekend though, its my birthday and I'm partying like... its my birthday.

... they see me rollin', they hatin'...

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #17
BimmerBoi2100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Black 135i

Do you think you can put those Earthquake 10's in there?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #18
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoi2100 View Post
Do you think you can put those Earthquake 10's in there?
Not a chance in hell. There isn't physically enough room neither in the original equipment enclosure or the space where the enclosure fits unless you got REALLY creative and did a ton of custom fabrication. That is a 2x order magnitude more complex job than just installing the SWS-8's. And they still sound great, btw.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 09:07 AM   #19
emos325
Streifenden Komet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 525i was a 325is

Garage List
any updates or more impressions? other options out on the maket you might also have tried. any thoughts to BSW? what about repositioning the sub? more towards the center of the seat. is there room or is it a highly modified idea?
It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow; F- That just go to driving school and you can do both.
Appreciate 0