BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-07-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
Jon
Rep
Drives: bmw e36 323i

1 Series Coupe v Audi TT

Just wondering if any owners were in a similar position to me trying to decide between the 1 series coupe and an Audi TT ?

I drove the 123d last month and the TT Tdi today and I'm still none the wiser - both very nice cars.

Don't really want a 135i or a TTS so I'm going to try a 125i next...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 02:29 AM   #2
nickc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Auto Express did a road test and compared the 2. They prefered the styling of the TT but said the BMW engine was amazing. Not sure they were that keen on BMW styling but I think it looks good. I think they should have compared it to the BMW Z4 and not the 1 coupe to be honest.

Wierdly though they were both the same price - £26,350

The TT is nice but I found the driving position not as good and like the bit more space you get in the BMW, Audi servicing tends to be more expensive. However, the Audi is probably better made and you do see less Audi's on the road than BMWs

I don't think you are the 1st to be in this position though.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 03:48 AM   #3
K30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

This was my dilema also - TT-Tdi ot 123d coupe. I went for the BMW - reasons:

- Engine - the BMW is smoother and has more constant power (and more of it) right through the rev range. The TT is improved over A3's ive driven but still not as good with a 'band' of power outside of which you are left trailing - fine once you are used to the gearing... but not on a wet day!

- cheaper to run and insure

- No torque steer - especially important with the diesel! Even with the 4wd i'd expect most of the power is at the front (I ordered months back - was only able to drive petrol)

- I've had both makes and found BMW customer service to be far better - though I do agree that the build on the Audi is of a higher standard.

- 123d is a lot less likley to attract negative attention

- 123d makes more sense on a practicality basis (just!) and was the more comfortable of the two in ride and driving postion (i am 6ft3)

The audi does have the better interior, and probably is the better looking (though the original is better)

There is no bad choice here - more style or perfomance than anything. You could always wait for VW to launch the same setup in the Scirocco and save yourself £5k!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 03:50 AM   #4
K30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

just to clarify.....
by negative attention.. i mean people jumping on your bonet and keying your car! rather than.. eeeuhhh, don't like the colour or the wheels!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #5
Graemeb
Rep
Drives:

(IMHO) the TT TDi (surely that's at least one too many 'T's???) is a lovely car, but as already discussed it's not really a 1 Coupe rival. The back seats are as good as useles, whereas the 1er can carry four in comfort.

The (petrol) TT is a direct rival to the Z4 (and a worthy rival at that), and the diesel TT really does occupy a unique niche in the market.

At the end of the day "ya pays yr money and makes yr choice", they're both cracking cars.

Personally I prefer the beemer, but that's purely down to my own circumstances and an (albeit occasional) need for four seats. Plus I like the glaces you get in the 1er, I think people are used to the TT now...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

CAR magazine has a review comparing both in the July edition. Its very informative and puts the BMW in front. The Audi TT is somewhat of a fashion accessory in their view.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #7
Jon
Rep
Drives: bmw e36 323i

Many thanks for all the replies.

I did like the TT TDi but share many of your thoughts in comparison to the 1er. The TT was a really nice car but having driven BMWs for nearly 13 years (the current one for 12 years and 168000 miles !) it's a tough leap to make and I think I'm going to give the 1 series a go. I'm also quite keen on the improvements to the I-Drive system due from September, especially the new hard disk facility which I think will have the edge on the TT's Navplus system. Either way I suspect it'll be a little while yet before I make up my mind on which engine and I think I'll have to have another go in the 123d. It was just the sound that put me off a little and made me wonder if a 125i would be a better choice. Must admit I don't do many miles these days but the 123d appeals on a number of levels so deciding between the two isn't as easy as it would otherwise be. I did think about the Z4 coupe but there's something about the interior that just puts me off, a bit like the 3er coupe.

In the mean time keep the 1er coupe reports going and the pictures flowing :smile:
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 02:42 AM   #8
K30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I'll admit i'm wondering whether I should have had a 125 rather than 123d.. seduced by performance and economy. But the 125 is so much cheaper in the first place it may make more sense and be al little easier on the ears!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 03:01 AM   #9
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

TT TDI confuses me.

If you don't want teh 135i or TTS your choice is:

TT 2.0T

or

125i

I personally prefer the TT 2.0T to the 125i. The TT drives really well, especially for a FWD car. I think the 125i engine is a little souless and not very economical compared to the TT's 2.0T FSI.

The TT can easily be remapped to 250bhp if you fancy doing it too.

TT also likely to have better residuals.

123d is a fantastic car, great engine, but you need to decide - petrol or diesel.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 05:53 AM   #10
nickc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

125i is slower in gear than the 123d, lower fuel economy, high car tax and is only £1,100 cheap initially to buy but the on going costs are higher.

You just need to weigh up the costs over how long you will own it. The 125i want available when I ordered but even now I wouldn't change because of the fuel economy.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 09:26 AM   #11
pavelitto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Performance

Coming back to the topic I had the German Auto Bild Sports Cars Edition where there was comparison between porsche cayman s and bmw 135i Performance package. I don't have it in front of me now plus I don't know german that well to understand it b ut the thing i remember was that bmw was 7 seconds slower on the Nurburgring Northern loop of 20 km. But bmw received very good review and got 4 out of 5 stars in their "Porsche killer" rating