BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
chompy
Rep
Drives: 123d coupe

123d New Owner - baffled by 1st gear!

Hi, firstly thanks to all for the excellent advice available on here for us lurkers, helpd me make what im currently considering to be a very smart choice:
123d msport coupe manual on a 10 plate (B/sapphire & lemon, lots of extras)

Even during the run in (which 90% of the time ive been carefully abiding by the general consensus), driving through coastal A roads 30-70mph has been an absolute blast, motorway driving has been a breeze with brilliant acceleration when required.

However, a small, and at first quite a major but…1st gear…verging on useless when driven like I usually would (no pre-revving just clutch out and steady application of accelerator) . It’s exceptionally sluggish if just trying to gradually accelerate with any decent launch speed only accessible if I stick the revs up to 2k+ hold on the clutch and launch it then immediately change to second- messy and not easily controllable!

Now I’m fully aware of the twin turbo set up and once it kicks in its great- but trying to gradually accelerate away in 1st is next to useless and actually find it easier for a controlled, strong pull away from stop doing it in second.

Any thoughts on the best way to consistently start and get close to the claimed 0-60 gratefully accepted!

I don’t want to be a boy racer, but if you want to pull away strongly in 1st unless you pre rev and hold on clutch, pulling away is so underpowered that a van kicked my ass before I had time to shift to second!
This acutely depressed me,made me think twice about the car and took a couple of days to actually figure out whether I could live with this, as I really don’t want to have to launch the car every time I want a decent bit of speed from lights….and pulling away in second is the only way ive managed to achieve this.

One more thing while im waffling away…im looking at a map (of course).

Has anyone done this and does it make a marked difference to the performance from standing start?

Many thanks,

Matt
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
privatepaul12345
Paul
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sep 2010 123d M Sport Hatch

Haven't experienced this myself, so can't answer you unfortunately. However, I'd be interested to know if you've cured the problem, as I see no one has answered it either! Have you visited babybmw.net, as it's a brilliant forum and has answers for just about everything 1er and the guys and gals on there are very friendly. Maybe hear from you sometime. I love my 1er, new in Sep.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Jonny Tea
Rep
Drives: 123d M Sport Coupe in White

Ive got a 08 reg 123d and receiving a new shape msport 120d on Friday for the wife.
I find 1st gear powerful on clutch when ticking over however if u floor it, it seems... too weak and climbs to the red too fast for me. I understand what you mean thought but I would never pull off in 2nd, I dont see 1st as that much of a problem.

I went to get it remapped... but i had a software update in January and BMW put the latest software on. Ive been told bmw from end of 09 onwards are locked out on the remap edition function and therefore require a chip which I personally didnt want as I want the map to be stealth on the insurance.

Have you had any luck with your mapping issues?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Tea View Post
I went to get it remapped... but i had a software update in January and BMW put the latest software on. Ive been told bmw from end of 09 onwards are locked out on the remap edition function and therefore require a chip which I personally didnt want as I want the map to be stealth on the insurance.

Have you had any luck with your mapping issues?
Have you spoken to Evolve?