BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #45
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
If you think the power is underwhelming for the MCS turbo you should try one that has a tuned suspension on a few tracks. I have and those vettes & vipers couldn't hold a candle to it. It was so funny watching them fly off the track...in my rearview
Hah, so true! It's all about the small sticky cars. The prices of used Exiges are plummeting in my area. Each weekend I am tempted to pull the trigger. :biggrin:

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 12:00 AM   #46
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by esses View Post
Well it is odd that you would make a statement comparing the performance of two cars when all you did was drive your daily commute.

Once you take your 1 out to some more interesting roads where it does matter what gear you are in the difference between the two cars will be clear. Your MPG will also be closer to the single digit range.

As for your question, the answer is yes! Not an S though, a plain jane Cooper hardtop. It was modified for the track - full cage, stripped. Yes, it was a fun little car.

BUT if you want a cheap, lightweight, FWD to toss around get a Miata. Really. Cheap to mod, cheap insurance, great mpg. And you will eat Coopers for breakfast. Have you ever driven a Miata?
Have you ever driven a Miata? The Mazda Miata has NEVER been FWD.

My next daily driver will be a facelifted R56 or the Honda CR-Z. Oh yeaah.
      01-15-2009, 06:24 AM   #47
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Well it is odd that you would make a statement comparing the performance of two cars when all you did was drive your daily commute.

Once you take your 1 out to some more interesting roads where it does matter what gear you are in the difference between the two cars will be clear. Your MPG will also be closer to the single digit range.

As for your question, the answer is yes! Not an S though, a plain jane Cooper hardtop. It was modified for the track - full cage, stripped. Yes, it was a fun little car.

BUT if you want a cheap, lightweight, FWD to toss around get a Miata. Really. Cheap to mod, cheap insurance, great mpg. And you will eat Coopers for breakfast. Have you ever driven a Miata?
That's a rather silly idea. If I'm going to spend $40,000 on a car, why on Earth wouldn't I test-drive it on the roads I'm going to be driving 90% of the time? I'm not looking for an awesome track car, I'm looking for an awesome daily driver. (And you'd be surprised - in Pittsburgh hills and twists are common even on some roads that would be called "urban".)

Regarding the others, I want to have at least a marginally serviceable back seat.

Not sure why you're trying to talk me out of buying the 1... :wink:
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 06:39 AM   #48
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfriend View Post
maybe you should've driven the 128i if you felt more involved by shifting the gears to keep the power up?
I have done that, at a different time. For a variety of reasons, though, I keep going back and forth between the 128i vs. 135i and am leaning back toward the 135i now.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 07:05 AM   #49
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

I had a Mini Cooper S, and as far as a community goes, they have us beat hands down. They have huge rallies, weekend drives, cook outs, mod days, etc. and thats just my local club. They wave and flash thier lights at each other. Place cards and notes on your car to let you know they saw you and point you to thier website.

I'm lucky to get a head nod from another 1 driver.
      01-15-2009, 07:26 AM   #50
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketpop View Post
I had a Mini Cooper S, and as far as a community goes, they have us beat hands down. They have huge rallies, weekend drives, cook outs, mod days, etc. and thats just my local club. They wave and flash thier lights at each other. Place cards and notes on your car to let you know they saw you and point you to thier website.

I'm lucky to get a head nod from another 1 driver.

S2k's do that to one another too. Were still not has hardcore as the MINI crew though.
      01-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #51
Call
Call
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 & 07 X5, 05 MCSC

Quote:
Hah, so true! It's all about the small sticky cars. The prices of used Exiges are plummeting in my area. Each weekend I am tempted to pull the trigger. :biggrin:
Now you are talking. I came within 1 day of owning an Elise. I called a guy up who had it for sale but a guy he hadn't heard from in a month had just called the night before saying he wanted it. If the sale had not gone down I was prepared to take deliver the next day. Damn, double damn:drinking:I bought a 335i instead...very bad move but I got over it real quick with the ONE:headbang:

Call