Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 04 3.0i Z4; 09 135i; VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Turbo View Post
Just know your place that's all
You've got issues dude.

Can you not see the fallacy in your own argument? All that R&D which you say makes the M3 so special was R&D spent on the very parts you say shouldn't be in the 1M. It wasn't R&D on the M3 per se...it was R&D on parts used in the M3. The M3, like the M5 and every other car ever made, is just a collection of parts. The 1M has to be judged for what it is, the context in which the parts which constitute it were developed is uttely irrelevant. What we have are M parts, designed and manufactured by M, and employed in a car designed by M. The fact remains that every person who has actually driven the car thinks it is fantastic - including those (and there are numerous of us) who have both the M3 and the 1M.

Last edited by lavaletta; 05-15-2011 at 07:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #90
pyrat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavaletta View Post
You've got issues dude.

JOY is being offered in manual transmission and RWD.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #91
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Just know your place that's all
We do..it's slightly ahead of the E92 M3...all things considered.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #92
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
Its a shame that the 1M won't have a production run like the E9X M3s. I'd love to see which teams would give up the E9X to run the 1M on the track.
      05-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #93
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

I'd love a chance to drive a 1M. I have a 135 now and have an M3 on order. The engine in the M3 is what sold me. That car is just an absolute joy to drive. I don't care how good of a tune you put on the N54 it just doesn't have the kind of response and amazing sound of the S65.

With that said, I can only imagine how fun the 1M must be to throw around a track. If I was a bit more of a track junky I prob would've gone for the 1M. However, I do one or two track weekends a year and the M3 is just awesome for a daily driver and it's no slouch on the track.

I hope someone in STL with a 1M will let me take a ride in the car with them.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #94
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post
I'd love a chance to drive a 1M. I have a 135 now and have an M3 on order. The engine in the M3 is what sold me. That car is just an absolute joy to drive. I don't care how good of a tune you put on the N54 it just doesn't have the kind of response and amazing sound of the S65.

With that said, I can only imagine how fun the 1M must be to throw around a track. If I was a bit more of a track junky I prob would've gone for the 1M. However, I do one or two track weekends a year and the M3 is just awesome for a daily driver and it's no slouch on the track.

I hope someone in STL with a 1M will let me take a ride in the car with them.
I was in the same boat. Currently have a 135...do I go with a 1M or M3. In the end the 1M is the best choice given performance for the price. I certainly am not going to spend 20k for better exhaust sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #95
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I'm sorry, M3 and the M5 are the only true Ms, period. All other Ms get the leftovers from them and are kept below par. Every other M is just a derivation of those 2 Ms. I'm pretty sure somewhere in some R&D department in BMW there is a diagram that has M3 and M5 at the top level and all other Ms being branched off as a leaf in a tree diagram. M3s parts are 90% different than a regular 3 series. Enormous research and effort have gone into M3s development over the course of nearly 3 years. Similar things can (or could) be said for the M5. These are Ms that are completely rebuilt from ground up. BMW might be changing their M strategy and yes M5 isn't built this way, but at least M3, which is in production as of now, is built this way which is why you can't compare it to any other M car out there, period.

1M is still an M and still BMW, sure, same family, no hate. Just know your place that's all
I actually prefer the M3, but I disagree with that comment. I couldn't care less about which was the first car to use a certain part. I prefer the M3 engine because it has more power, better throttle response, a higher redline and sounds better. It also has an amazing specific output for a N/A engine. I also prefer the seats and the rest of the M3 interior over 1M.

I'd rather have the 1M engine than the E46 M3 engine. The 1M engine isn't unique to M, but it's enough superior in output to the E46 M3 engine to be worth the inferior sound and low rpm power output.

I love the wide track, short wheelbase, suspension and diff under the 1M. I also think it's a decent engine. Nothing epic or particularly cool; just efficient and competent for the job (it's closer to being a truck engine than a sports car engine with that 5900rpm hp peak).

But the bottom line is, for a $47k base price, it's a pretty amazingly fast BMW. It's true that it has few unique performance parts. Instead it has KEY parts from BMW's current performance leaders. It's a neat, if not compelling little performance coupe.

Speaking of the engine, I would like to understand the torque boost function better. I think there was something about a "7 second max" to the boost. So does that mean if I'm driving full throttle, after 7 seconds without lifting, the power decreases back to 332 lb/ft? What if I lift for a second when I shift? Does the 7 second counter reset? What about when I rev up to outside the RPM range where the overboost occurs? Does the counter stop then too? How long from whenever I'm outside the overboost parameters before I can overboost again? Is entry/exit of overboost mode obvious?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #96
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
Would I prefer a "better" engine? Hell yes! DCT option available? Yup.
I don't see any way to argue that the M3, with that glorious engine, isn't more "special" in that the sound and the performance...
Agreed on those items. Since I already have a track car, I don't really care for a 6 speed manual in my daily driver. I didn't enjoy the 6 speed in the E90 M3 I drove.

Quote:
On most tracks, it'll outrun a 1M, and on most roads, ride better.
Disagree on this one, though it of course depends on where you live and the tracks nearby. The Hockenheim test for instance shows that the 1M can match or beat the M3 on certain tracks. But I'm not one to split hairs over lap times. I'll take the more enjoyable driving experience every time over a 1 second here and there.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #97
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I can see how the 1M v M3 is more open to debate in the USA due to price. In Oz the M1 is 110k and the M3 at least 150k so it's a no-brainer, not taking anything away from the M3, the 1M is just better value. I think the next gen M3 twin turbo will change everything though..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #98
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep

Quote:
M3 is much better.
blah blah blah blah blah...nobody cares.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #99
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Better for value? Get a mustang, it'll kill both of them ina straight line and in a track.

How can you stand the sound of the turbo? Its like the CPU fan I had from 1999 trying to keep up with my Pentium MMX when I played Fifa.
This type of arrogant crap is why I won't buy an M3. Grow up.

An old martial arts instructor once told me "no matter how much of a bad ass you think you are, someone always has your number"
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #100
l888apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M

Quote:
Better for value? Get a mustang, it'll kill both of them ina straight line and in a track.

How can you stand the sound of the turbo? Its like the CPU fan I had from 1999 trying to keep up with my Pentium MMX when I played Fifa.
you are clueless. there is absolutely no turbo noise, it is silent between shifts, you cannot hear the intake, and the exhaust note is throaty and rumbles. there is almost no lag and with the M button activated the throttle response is that of an N/A engine. keep using that PC for FIFA and not talking about cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #101
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
I was in the same boat. Currently have a 135...do I go with a 1M or M3. In the end the 1M is the best choice given performance for the price. I certainly am not going to spend 20k for better exhaust sound.
It's a little more than that.

The M3 engine is just a whole different experience than the N54, it's so responsive and pulls so hard to redline. And yeah, it sounds absolutely amazing in the process.

The 135 is fun because it's so small, but I'll like having a little more room in the M3 for daily use, little more room in the back seats, bigger trunk, etc.

Plus the M3 in Interlagos Blue just looks absolutely amazing. The M3 has been my dream car for years, the 1M just didn't seem as exciting to me. Not to say it isn't an incredibly competent car, but I just enjoyed driving the M3 so much I can't imagine a 1M being more enjoyable as a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #102
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Quote:

This type of arrogant crap is why I won't buy an M3. Grow up.

An old martial arts instructor once told me "no matter how much of a bad ass you think you are, someone always has your number"
Take it easy. You should do some yoga and take a chill pill. Don't take what's said here that seriously. Its an internet forum. M3 is a better car, I don't care what autoblog or Jeremy Clarkson or CEO of BMW says.
Great the M3 is a better car but I saved 20grand getting 95% there. With an inexpensive tune the 1m will kick your butt. Believe it.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #103
Rustler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i Space Grey

Quote:
M3 is much better.
I think the M3 boys (and/or girls) are feeling a little threatened. If you read a defensive post by someone trying to take away from the 1M in this thread, odds are you find an M3 owner behind it. I often notice the same thing when I read posts about the 135 in the e90 forum, the 335 owners get all defensive and try to put down the 135.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #104
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
M3 is much better.
Says who? why? Define better!

Quote:

Is killing in a straight line or at the track the only reason people should buy a car? Then everyone should have bought the mustang and nothing else.

That turbo sound will be on every new M3 you own from now on. Maybe you should step up to Porsche, oh wait..

Quote:
M3 is a better car, I don't care what autoblog or Jeremy Clarkson or CEO of BMW says.
Right lets discount the people you mentioned but take your word for it. If you bought your car so you can brag about who youre faster than then youre screwed. No matter how much you spend there will always be someone faster than you, and sometimes its gonna be a 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #105
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Thats okay I know by the time the new M3 comes out, the turbos will be quiter and yes I'll be driving a porsche.

Says the world (M3 is better). All this constant noise about not choosing M3 because 1M is a better car is pure bullshit. If you had a million dollars EXTRA in savings, would you still get the 1M? Come on! Will ya! Cry me a river

I'm not threatened at all. Its just some things had to be said. Like I said, cars have classes, and every car should know its class and remember it and know where it belongs.

Bring it on. Flame suit ready and waiting.
Actually if I had to chose one for free, would still go with the 1M....why??? as papelova mentioned...if everyone bought cars for being the quickest in a straight line or track, then we would all be driving rustangs....but fortunately some of us actually have taste and certain preferences in cars....I perfer the superior handling and low end torque that the 1M offers which is something the current M3 can only dream of....that being said, your arguments sound very sophomoric and needlessly pompous...please refrain from making yourself look thickheaded
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #106
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep

Obviously this kid is a troll. Prolly doesnt even own a m3. Lets move along.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 10:43 PM   #107
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
"""You ARE right, 75k is too much for some people for a daily driver which is why we have 1M.

I don't want to be a dickhead but you people are making this car something its not. I know you are excited, but you should know whose backyard you are in. Do you see M3 owners saying stuff like this to GTR or GT3? All these arguments also apply to M3 vs more expensive cars. We are not the best and we know when to talk and when not to talk.

I think 1 series is excited for its first M, but you need to digest it properly.""""

HAAHA so the soar loser finally shows his colors....I said LOW-END torque smartass
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 10:50 PM   #108
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep

Many of us with 1Ms on order could afford an M3. It's a fantastic car, but we don't want one because it's the size of a Buick.

Aside from the universally glowing reviews, I think the fact that the 1M will be far more exclusive than the e9x M3 is really chapping some insecure hides. Autoblog, look what you've stirred up.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #109
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:

I don't want to be a dickhead but you people are making this car something its not. I know you are excited, but you should know whose backyard you are in. Do you see M3 owners saying stuff like this to GTR or GT3? All these arguments also apply to M3 vs more expensive cars. We are not the best and we know when to talk and when not to talk.
The difference between a 1M and an M3 is far smaller than an M3 vs GTR vs GT3, so perhaps you should learn where you sit. I believe the Mustang IS right around your "class".

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 10:57 PM   #110
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

actually, the m3 is oftentimes compared to the gtr. it actually has subjectively won against the gtr in comparisons. these controversial comparisons always bring about proponents taking strong views from one side or the other. however, at least these individuals who draw their conclusions back up their views with the experience of driving the cars in question and provide a rationale for their conclusions. you, sir, are only making the statement that the m3 is better with no evidence and no rationale. perhaps you should return to (or stay in) introductory physics and throw in a bit of critical thinking.

Quote:
Taste? Preferences? Handling? Superior torque? Do you even know what you are talking about? 1M has better handling than M3? Have you taken physics class in your life?

Anyways, believe what you want, 1M is a bit of 335 (engine), bit of 135 (chasis), bit of M3 (well actually a lot of M3), and its not a better car than M3 in anyway. Ask yourself why there isnt a M1 and why they basically had little money to make this car and you'll know the answer.

M3, M5, M6 ........................ 1M, X5M, X6M.

You ARE right, 75k is too much for some people for a daily driver which is why we have 1M.

I think 1 series is excited for its first M, but you need to digest it properly.
Appreciate 0