05-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #90
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Someone's suffering from mysophobia ?
Wow, had to look that one up in my Funk & Wagnalls....

Neil
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #91
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post

Neil
HA! Same here...well...google anyway.

That's last years Grime Boss Andretti race car; engineless of course but still pretty badass! Now it's turned showcar, but they still use the chassis for suspension R&D. And yes...Ohlins is EXTREMELY clean. That's actually a little messy since it's the busy part of the season (referring to the table in the back, where my setup is being worked on).
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #92
Julius@Style77
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post

Neil

I'd love to see this set up in action... soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #93
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Any news ?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #94
hansitohans
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4

News?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #95
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

sorry for the delay guys. i am going back next week for the final installation. there were some parts that were needed from ground control and from sweden to make this happen. wasn't exactly the drop in setup as expected, there were definitely some parts that needed to be ordered and machined to retain ride height etc (which was a personal requirement in all of this). i will have more very very soon. really sorry for the delay!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #96
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
sorry for the delay guys. i am going back next week for the final installation. there were some parts that were needed from ground control and from sweden to make this happen. wasn't exactly the drop in setup as expected, there were definitely some parts that needed to be ordered and machined to retain ride height etc (which was a personal requirement in all of this). i will have more very very soon. really sorry for the delay!
Please explain what parts were needed(ordered or machined) from ground control to get the exact drop? The stack height should not have been an issue since these plates have been around for a while. And since these are coilovers, what is keeping the system from running stock height?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 01:26 AM   #97
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Please explain what parts were needed(ordered or machined) from ground control to get the exact drop? The stack height should not have been an issue since these plates have been around for a while. And since these are coilovers, what is keeping the system from running stock height?
the ride height was an issue...i don't really care if you believe me or not, but i was going to wait until it got sorted out before i report back (in detail) on the thread.

ohlins wanted to lower the ride height, but it ended up being too drastic with the parts that were ordered. the best that they could do was get it back within -2" of stock. if they adjusted it any more it would have impacts to the spring rates (well, there would be an awesome "klunk" rather on extreme bumps), so they needed to order different springs as well. i never said what needed to be ordered from sweden or ground control...i just said that things needed to be ordered from both (never said anything about the camber plates).

i'm assuming that since you resell the PSI kits, you could just get updates from them (Ohlins talks very highly of them). i'd do that rather than coming at the "consumer" so hard for information. that way you'll be better informed, with more detailed information. you're just using this thread to sell other products anyway and i've noticed it in several other threads as well. you're coming off a little trolly (to me). this is the last post where i'll address this to you directly, because it's really detracting from my intention for this thread.

Last edited by v1k0d3n; 06-26-2012 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #98
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
the ride height was an issue...i don't really care if you believe me or not, but i was going to wait until it got sorted out before i report back (in detail) on the thread.

ohlins wanted to lower the ride height, but it ended up being too drastic with the parts that were ordered. the best that they could do was get it back within -2" of stock. if they adjusted it any more it would have impacts to the spring rates (well, there would be an awesome "klunk" rather on extreme bumps), so they needed to order different springs as well. i never said what needed to be ordered from sweden or ground control...i just said that things needed to be ordered from both (never said anything about the camber plates).

i'm assuming that since you resell the PSI kits, you could just get updates from them (Ohlins talks very highly of them). i'd do that rather than coming at the "consumer" so hard for information. that way you'll be better informed, with more detailed information. you're just using this thread to sell other products anyway and i've noticed it in several other threads as well. you're coming off a little trolly (to me). this is the last post where i'll address this to you directly, because it's really detracting from my intention for this thread.
The intention of this thread is to inform the community on the R&D process of the Ohlins coilovers for the 1M/M3, it is to everyone's interest to know all the details, including how Ground Control comes into the mix and why the correct ride height can not be achieved. -2" seem to bit much and spring noise is not usually associated with the amount of drop, but rather another issue altogether. Furthermore, raising the ride height will not change spring rates, unless Ohlins is using some sort of a progressive rate springs(assist and main spring perhaps?). The "Klunk" is also interesting as the vehicle ride height is raised on the current spring setup, details should be posted.

PSI is simply a distributor for Ohlins and do carry their own brand of coilovers as well. My discussion here is still on the Ohlins kit and not anything from PSI.

P.S. In one of your posts you had Ground Control camber plates mounted on an Ohlin's strut. If you have a noise or clunk, isn't a component of the camber plate you are going after to eliminate the noise or solve a problem you may be having?

Last edited by HP Autosport; 06-26-2012 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #99
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
The intention of this thread is to inform the community on the R&D process of the Ohlins coilovers for the 1M/M3,
Maybe let the OP decide what the intention of the thread is? You've responded to this thread 19 times, and in all of that managed to contribute nearly nothing of value other than a good amount of mis-information mixed with a very unsubtle sales pitch for products you carry. Cool it already.

All you've accomplished, for me at least, is to turn me off. Why anyone would consider buying from HPA when there are clearly far more knowledgeable (and polite) vendors to choose from (such as Beau at PSI), is beyond me.
      06-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #100
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The intention of this thread is to inform the community on the R&D process of the Ohlins coilovers for the 1M/M3, it is to everyone's interest to know all the details, including how Ground Control comes into the mix and why the correct ride height can not be achieved. -2" seem to bit much and spring noise is not usually associated with the amount of drop, but rather another issue altogether. Furthermore, raising the ride height will not change spring rates, unless Ohlins is using some sort of a progressive rate springs(assist and main spring perhaps?). The "Klunk" is also interesting as the vehicle ride height is raised on the current spring setup, details should be posted.

PSI is simply a distributor for Ohlins and do carry their own brand of coilovers as well. My discussion here is still on the Ohlins kit and not anything from PSI.

P.S. In one of your posts you had Ground Control camber plates mounted on an Ohlin's strut. If you have a noise or clunk, isn't a component of the camber plate you are going after to eliminate the noise or solve a problem you may be having?
i never said anything about a 1M/M3 kit; just strictly a 1M build. i also don't understand why you're talking about the camber kit....i never said what needed to be ordered from ground control....

ground control rear adjusters needed to be reordered for my requested setup. i wanted the system to be fully adjustable; 3-way, with ride height adjustments as well. but, i wanted to keep my ride height as close to stock as possible. ohlins originally planned on a 20mm drop (i found this out later; at the first fitment). when i told them i wanted to stay as close to stock as possible, they went back to the drawing board a little (which I thought was pretty awesome). this new setup with different GC ride height adjusters will get me within 6mm of stock. so, they ordered the new GC ride height adjusters for the rear and are fitting a more universal 8" spring (this was also changed because of my input), which will allow for better flexibility and more agressive applications (current load is spec'ed for 800lbs.). overall, it's an easier, more obtainable option. ohlins also had to re-machine some pins for the current (newer) setup. this is all completed now and the [hopefully] final fitment should be done on monday. i will have more to report at that time, at the end of the day perhaps.

Last edited by v1k0d3n; 06-26-2012 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #101
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
Maybe let the OP decide what the intention of the thread is? You've responded to this thread 19 times, and in all of that managed to contribute nearly nothing of value other than a good amount of mis-information mixed with a very unsubtle sales pitch for products you carry. Cool it already.

All you've accomplished, for me at least, is to turn me off. Why anyone would consider buying from HPA when there are clearly far more knowledgeable (and polite) vendors to choose from (such as Beau at PSI), is beyond me.
Thank you Pete! I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way...

I'm really turned off my HPA as well. I've never had a vendor come at me so hard in a forum before! haha. Craziness. I looked through some of the other posts, and all this dude DOES is sell, sell, sell. At what cost? I know ya gotta make money, but sheesh.

Everyone else, see my notes above. This should explain things a little better, which is (in reality) something I should have been keeping up with a little better anyway. If you need anything else, please feel free to PM me.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #102
bimmer ///man
Captain
Rep
Drives: M

v1K0den:

You are coming off very immature as of late. I have been following this thread because I am a big fan of Ohlins and the 1M. The R&T equipped 135i I drove was fantastic which is why I was hoping they would do something similar for the 1M, which doesn't seem to be the case.

The title is "Interested in Ohlins for 1M? This is an Ohlin's R&D related thread." If it was MY car that was being used for development I would want as much input from experienced individuals as possible. It is VERY clear that you have extremely limited knowledge regarding suspension, which is fine, you are the end user, you shouldn't need it aside from how to properly dial in the kit once installed.

However, I would highly suggest that you stop berating companies such as PSI and HP Autowerks who deal with E82/E9X suspension day in and day out. They know way more than you and you should be appreciative that they are taking time to contribute. You were EVEN arguing with Beau about what was being developed on your own car. He was right! You aren't getting a R&T kit. As you said earlier you are simply "regurgitating" and if I may say so, not so well. It is admirable that you are loaning your car out to Ohlins to develop a kit, I'm sure the data collected will be valuable.

BTW, it's now summer and the kit is still not out yet...exactly as HP and PSI said.

FYI, I have never had good experience with Ground Control products, they always seem to be half ass engineered. I have owned their E36 kit and dealt with some of there other products; I have always been left with a bad taste in my mouth.

Pete vb:
You didn't have a problem with the vendors when they were answering your questions before but now you are coming at them with hostility. Get off of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #103
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

let me clarify some of what you said, because you said a lot here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer ///man View Post
v1K0den:

You are coming off very immature as of late. I have been following this thread because I am a big fan of Ohlins and the 1M. The R&T equipped 135i I drove was fantastic which is why I was hoping they would do something similar for the 1M, which doesn't seem to be the case.
sorry for coming across this way; wasn't my intention at all. when i called ohlins, i asked them what they had for the 1M. jeff said that they were actually looking for a 1M to use for development, so I said "i'm game". we talked over the phone, and i said that i wanted something more agressive than a R&T kit, but not something as done up as the TTX where I would have to service often and that would be harsh on the street. i can sacrifice some "discomfort" and hope to make this more dedicated at some point, but not right now. Jeff said they had a plan... (note the ...). so even i was a little in the dark on exactly what they were planning (hence stock ride height vs. 20mm difference; we obviously had a disconnect there). i'm sorry if i mentioned a R&T kit (i'll come back to this point in a second), because that's not really what this was supposed to be...it was supposed to be in the middle...the entire time.

Quote:
The title is "Interested in Ohlins for 1M? This is an Ohlin's R&D related thread." If it was MY car that was being used for development I would want as much input from experienced individuals as possible. It is VERY clear that you have extremely limited knowledge regarding suspension, which is fine, you are the end user, you shouldn't need it aside from how to properly dial in the kit once installed.

However, I would highly suggest that you stop berating companies such as PSI and HP Autowerks who deal with E82/E9X suspension day in and day out. They know way more than you and you should be appreciative that they are taking time to contribute. You were EVEN arguing with Beau about what was being developed on your own car. He was right! You aren't getting a R&T kit. As you said earlier you are simply "regurgitating" and if I may say so, not so well. It is admirable that you are loaning your car out to Ohlins to develop a kit, I'm sure the data collected will be valuable.
Beau and PSI are GREAT. i don't think i mentioned ever having disrespect towards him OR PSI at all. i even mentioned in my last thread that Ohlins directly praises PSI. They have a great working relationship with those guys as well (from what I understand). In fact, you're correct...Beau DID know what he was talking about. this was a little before i even knew completely what ohlins had in mind (which happens sometimes in the development process). As a vendor, ohlins was very clear with PSI. HPA...they never heard of, and never had a conversation with (that Jeff remembers anyway). HPA goes through PSI (I believe), and HPA (at least in THIS thread), has definitely spread false information. Like "TTX is ready to go. There is also a "Raceline" kit based on Ohlins ready(Please PM to inquire)." (in post #20). OK, well...ah...that's not what THIS thread is about. then HPA basically took over the thread talking about dates on a R&T kit. "April is the month if everything goes smoothly" (in post #34 and #40). This is where the confusion set in. I even went back to Ohlins and was like "what are you telling HPA"? Here, nobody even called them about it other than PSI (maybe Beau?) and Pete. Others called to inquire, but not HPA. Do you see how this could be annoying? That's where I'm coming from. Selling things that are NOT related to the thread, and confusing other forum members with information that you haven't verified. I would accept help from anyone! I'm not an expert, but I'm definitely not a novice either. I don't care how old you are...you still have something to learn...that goes for HPA too. In this case, they were just using wrong judgement.

Quote:
BTW, it's now summer and the kit is still not out yet...exactly as HP and PSI said.
That's because I had knee reconstruction. You don't know what you're talking about. I had a destroyed left knee, and couldn't walk for 3-1/2 months while I was going through recovery. That's what held up the process.

Quote:
FYI, I have never had good experience with Ground Control products, they always seem to be half ass engineered. I have owned their E36 kit and dealt with some of there other products; I have always been left with a bad taste in my mouth.
That's what Ohlins wanted to use for my setup. It was completely their recommendation. You'd be free to use whatever you whatever camber and ride height adjusters you'd like. I never said anything other than they seem to be good quality, and I've never heard anything bad about them. I don't understand what everyone's fixation on the camber plates and ride height adjusters is. Please let that part go! sheeze. Preferences are like assholes; everyone's got one.

Last edited by v1k0d3n; 06-27-2012 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #104
bimmer ///man
Captain
Rep
Drives: M

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I made sure to reread the whole thread to makes sure that I wasn't getting the wrong idea on recent posts. It just seems that your overall tone changed drastically from the first couple pages to the most recent posts. I am sorry to hear about your knee injury, that has be frustrating.

I think the majority of the confusion derived from all the different terms that are going to be used. Essentially there are four kits from what I can gather.
-R&T (official Ohlins Kit)
-Raceline (PSI kit)
-Whatever you are having developed (official Ohlins kit, R&T< 1M Kit < TTX, it would appear)
-Then the TTX damper kits which are either from PSI or Ohlins (or used in some R&T kits for the Porsche, etc).

I can see how you could take HP's comment (#20) the wrong way, but I believe the intention was offering a suggestion for those who wanted to run some of the best coilovers, Ohlins, but did not want to wait for the kit to be finished. I mean that comment was all the way back in January and it is now almost July. I don't see anything wrong with #34, he/HP seemed to be praising Ohlins. #40, I don't know, I would imagine he spoke with someone whether it was PSI or Ohlins, who knows. I can also see how you could say HP added to confusion, but this whole thread has been one big confusion because you/Ohlins weren't clear on what was actually being developed until page 3 or 4 when Beau told you what was being made.

That's just my two cents. I just thought I should point this out because up until page 5, this was a great thread.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #105
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I made sure to reread the whole thread to makes sure that I wasn't getting the wrong idea on recent posts. It just seems that your overall tone changed drastically from the first couple pages to the most recent posts. I am sorry to hear about your knee injury, that has be frustrating.

I think the majority of the confusion derived from all the different terms that are going to be used. Essentially there are four kits from what I can gather.
-R&T (official Ohlins Kit)
-Raceline (PSI kit)
-Whatever you are having developed (official Ohlins kit, R&T< 1M Kit < TTX, it would appear)
-Then the TTX damper kits which are either from PSI or Ohlins (or used in some R&T kits for the Porsche, etc).

I can see how you could take HP's comment (#20) the wrong way, but I believe the intention was offering a suggestion for those who wanted to run some of the best coilovers, Ohlins, but did not want to wait for the kit to be finished. I mean that comment was all the way back in January and it is now almost July. I don't see anything wrong with #34, he/HP seemed to be praising Ohlins. #40, I don't know, I would imagine he spoke with someone whether it was PSI or Ohlins, who knows. I can also see how you could say HP added to confusion, but this whole thread has been one big confusion because you/Ohlins weren't clear on what was actually being developed until page 3 or 4 when Beau told you what was being made.

That's just my two cents. I just thought I should point this out because up until page 5, this was a great thread.
i agree, page 5 completely changed, and now i wish i hadn't started the thread so early. i was just excited, and i didn't realize that other things would come into play and ultimately push development back this far; it was hard to foresee. i also apologize for the change in tone, but HPA really started to get under my skin with the latest set of posts; focusing on ground control camber plates vs. others that he happened to have "in stock and ready to ship" (you may not have realized that these got deleted by the mods because it was so blatant), assuming that the camber plates would have caused the klunking sound that i mentioned (#98 - wrong...i never mentioned camber plates causing this) and assuming that the GC plates resulted in a drop (#96)? i would have assumed that HPA would have realized at this point that a RHA kit was being used....

so let's refocus, and stay on track (no pun intended). i would like to put this tone and confusion behind us and move on. i'll have more for you very soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #106
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i agree, page 5 completely changed, and now i wish i hadn't started the thread so early. i was just excited, and i didn't realize that other things would come into play and ultimately push development back this far; it was hard to foresee. i also apologize for the change in tone, but HPA really started to get under my skin with the latest set of posts; focusing on ground control camber plates vs. others that he happened to have "in stock and ready to ship" (you may not have realized that these got deleted by the mods because it was so blatant), assuming that the camber plates would have caused the klunking sound that i mentioned (#98 - wrong...i never mentioned camber plates causing this) and assuming that the GC plates resulted in a drop (#96)? i would have assumed that HPA would have realized at this point that a RHA kit was being used....

so let's refocus, and stay on track (no pun intended). i would like to put this tone and confusion behind us and move on. i'll have more for you very soon.
Let's get everything in the open so there is no confusion.

What could be the cause of the "klunk"? I am sure Ohlins has an answer, otherwise they wouldn't know what parts/springs to order to fix it. If RHA means rear/ride height adjuster, Ohlins has a very good one and is already in their parts bin, there is no need to outsource.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #107
beau@performanceshockinc
Rep
Drives: Ralt RT41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post

Pete, thanks for your kind words. I appreciate it. Let me know when you are ready to do your car, maybe this fall/winter? We have a few development jobs on right now, but after these are clear, we should have some time.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #108
beau@performanceshockinc
Rep
Drives: Ralt RT41

Quote:
v1K0den:
Thanks for your support of Ohlins and PSi in your post. Of course, everyone will have a personal opinion regarding parts that they feel work well or do not, or have had past experiences with. Personally, I have been in this industry for and have used Ground Control products for over 20 years and have had excellent success to date and I understand that has been MY experience. We here at PSi are a Ground Control dealer and have had excellent success with their parts. Because of this experience, we chose to use GC parts in our kit. We have had zero issues to date, the parts are of high quality, strength and have excellent finishing on all machined parts. Ohlins USA obviously felt that the parts were of good enough quality to include with their kit as well, which to me says enough.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #109
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Someone's suffering from mysophobia ?
And those usual airco puddles under the 1M would require permanent 'floor cleaning'...
      07-11-2012, 04:52 AM   #110
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau@performanceshockinc View Post
Pete, thanks for your kind words. I appreciate it. Let me know when you are ready to do your car, maybe this fall/winter? We have a few development jobs on right now, but after these are clear, we should have some time.
Will be keen to work with you guys as well (if possible due to my location). Waiting on my brakes to arrive before looking into suspension setup. Brakes at the moment is still at least 2 and a half months away.
Appreciate 0