BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

EVO reports malfunctioning fuel gauge on 1M

I have read in last (May) electronic issue of EVO that their long term test 1M had an unexpected problem, the car just dried out of gas while the fuel gauge was showing around half the tank full. I thought I should post this and see if there are anybody else who experienced it before.

In my 1M, the only seemingly malfunction is the rear parking sensors. Since day 1 they leave only 10 cm. or even less when the beep starts to make that continuous sound. In my other car that has parking sensors and in my previous cars it was always quite more than that, usually around 20-30 cm. but I never had a BMW with parking sensors before, only without. I have no idea if mine needs a calibration or this is a 1M thing or whole 1 series are like this. The way it stands, I have to be really slow before the constant sound and stop immediately when it starts, and still sometimes I am finding myself scary close to garage walls. Probably I would be better off without the PDC, plus who likes the look of those sensors!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

how the heck do you run out of gas.
I can manage without a gauge... always reset the trip meter on fuel-up
      04-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
the car just dried out of gas while the fuel gauge was showing around half the tank full. I thought I should post this and see if there are anybody else who experienced it before.
Running on empty with half fuel tank indicated Experienced no fuel gauge trouble so far (8800 km). They should indicate the covered distance when the engine stalled. 400 to 500 km with a full fuel tank is feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
always reset the trip meter on fuel-up
Same habit: refuel, start engine, push the reset button on the dash, go. Refuel around 350 km.

Don't rely on the digital fuel range when nearing empty (sometimes the fuel range drops fast). Relying on the mechanical fuel range (dial) should be reliable, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
In my 1M, the only seemingly malfunction is the rear parking sensors. Since day 1 they leave only 10 cm. or even less when the beep starts to make that continuous sound.
Permanent beep sound (red zone on SATNAV) from ± 30cm or ± 1 foot (did not measure, but it is definitely more than ± 10cm or ± 4 inch). To be checked by your dealer.
      04-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
how the heck do you run out of gas.
I can manage without a gauge... always reset the trip meter on fuel-up
Me too but don't forget that the car in question is a long term fleet car which is driven by different drivers all the time.
Appreciate 0