BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

iPhone GPS Lap Timer

Has anybody tried an iPhone GPS lap timer on the track such as Harry's Lap Timer? I found a few available for download in the App Store that looked interesting. For only a few bucks, if it does what it's advertised to do, it'd be a very cool thing to have on track days. Opinions?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
///Mike135i
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: E82 M 135i

We have used similar apps on the Nurburgring but they were on Windows based smart phones.

I have an iPhone so would be keen to try some out.

The one we used was a free app and it was brilliant. It gives you sector times so you can see what your quickest lap would be at the end of the day should you complete a lap with all your best sectors put together. The one we used also has all the major racetracks you could think of globally.

Really good app. I am going to have a look now at the ones for the iPhone.

EDIT: I just called a mate who has the software we used and its called Race Chrono but it currently isn't availalbe for the iPhone. Looks like it just hasn't been developed yet as opposed to the technology not allowing it to work with the iPhone according to forums.

Shame because Race chrono was really brilliant.

Last edited by ///Mike135i; 08-07-2009 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

i have the trackday iphone app. it times laps accurately. it is not very precise, however, when setting the start/finish point: the track i was on doubles back on itself, and the timer was timing fractions of laps instead of whole laps.

so, i had to set my starting point way over on one side of the track, rather than at the start/finish. it worked fine after that, but it was a bit of a PITA, especially since you can't save start/finish points for future use-- you have to set it newly every time you start the program.

i'm gonna try harry's laptimer next go around.
Appreciate 0