BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-21-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

First Driving School / Autox

So, next week is my first driving school in my own car. I have done a half day open wheel driving school in Las Vegas, The Richard Petty Driving Experience (30 laps following instructor in pace car), and one informal Auto-X session in the late 90's when BMW went around to different cities introducing their newest 3 series.

The driving school is at Road Atlanta next week during Oktoberfest (Wednesday). What do I need to bring with me?

I have Vorshlag Camber plates and KW V2's. I was planning on bringing my jack with me and adjusting the camber plates when I get there. Is that recommended?

I assume I need to have a place to leave all my stuff (jack, torque wrench, tire pressure gauge, tools, etc...) Should I bring an EZ-Up tent as a pit area? Am I going to have a lot of down time where a shaded area like this will be worthwhile?

I just bought a MityVac brake bleeder and plan on replacing and bleeding my brake fluid this week. What Brake Fluid do you guys recommend? I have heard the ATE blue stuff really stains everything.

What else am I missing? I am also doing the AutoX the next day, any suggestions for that as well?

Thanks in advance!

Kenny

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

A cooler with drinks is a must. Other than that it sounds like your all set to me.

Edit: Helmet

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbr0wn View Post
I have heard the ATE blue stuff really stains everything.
The only difference between Motul ATE Blue and Type 200 Gold is the color. If you want that fluid but are worried about stains you can buy the gold.

You'll almost certainly need some numbers and possibly the class on the outside of the car for at least the autocross if not both events. You can use just about anything but blue painter's tape is cheap and easy if you don't have something already. Whatever you use, make sure it comes off the car without leaving marks and/or any residue.

If you do go the tape route be sure to pick numbers for your events that are made from straight lines - some combination of 1, 4, 7, etc. It'll save you some time in the morning. I forgot my stick-on numbers one time and making legible 5's & 6's with a 3" wide roll of tape took forever when I had other things I needed to do.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
octironSmith
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TiAg 135i, SGM X5 xDrive50i

Good luck on the track day tkbr0wn! I'm going to be there on Friday. Let us know how it goes.

Haven't had time to wrap some race rubber on the extra set of OEM rims yet. I guess it's going to be the sucky run craps again :P

Need to change engine oil and bleed brakes before Friday.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

I would not recommend you change your camber at the track, it will also change your toe, which can make the car undrivable if out of recommended range. If you feel you need more negative camber, get a full alignment before the event and then don't change it. Street driving does not consume the tires tangibly no matter what your camber/toe settings are.
Appreciate 0