BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #1
Playnice
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M Package

Thumbs down Crap News about existing tune

So I took my car in to the dealer for its very first servicing since I bought it for a winter check up and oil change.

They plugged my key into their reader and told me there was an existing tune on the car! I bought the car being told it was stock from a used car dealer back in June.

The big problem here is that I have a third party warranty that states any modifications like a tune on the car will void the warranty completely.

It seems like they also cant tell exactly when the tune was installed, so from the warranty company and the used dealer perspective, I could have installed it!

Im definitely pissed off and may need to cancel the warranty unless you guys have any other ideas.

I guess its cool to get a free tune on the car anyway. Too bad I cant tell what type it is or how to change any settings. Any suggestions as of to how I can get out of this mess? Maybe reset the whole system back to stock?

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

They knew it was tuned from the key reader huh? I'm a little skeptical. Anyway, you can get the dealer to flash you with the latest stock software for your car but you'll have to pay. The warranty company won't know. In reality, with a 3rd party warranty, I doubt you'll have much trouble with a tune anyway. How are they going to know there's any issue? They'll have to hear it through your mechanic which shouldn't be a problem if you get to him first.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2016, 10:28 PM   #3
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

They can't see a "tune" from a key read, that is unless it was flagged by Bmw and the warranty was voided.... that's highly unlikely. Also its highly unlikely if the dealer did know your car was tuned that they would tell your warranty company about it being that the warranty company is the one who would have to pay them to repair your car

Last edited by Gizmo135i; 11-09-2016 at 11:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 06:00 AM   #4
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

If you have a good relationship with your dealer, it shouldn't matter. It's when you come off as a d1ck with the stealership attitude is when you might have problems.

In my old age, I've gotten a bit lazier about wrenching on my cars so I've had my dealer do some of the modifications on my car. I've also done some things on my own such as installing the backup camera retrofit. So far, I haven't had any issues with them throwing up a flag saying my car has been modified...sorry can't help you...gotta pay out of pocket.

I recently had them replace the nav screen and housing under warranty. The rubberized coating around the front bezel was peeling up. I told them I had the backup camera system installed which required me to remove the screen to get to the wiring harness. They could have easily said I did it during the install, but they didn't. Service manager just looked at the area and saw there were no pry marks or anything indicating something physically damaged it and ok'd the replacement.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2016, 01:59 PM   #5
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

What warranty company? If you want to play it safe, have the dealer flash your car. Your dealer won't just call your warranty company and be like, "HEY, WARRANTY GUYS, Playnice HAS A TUNNNNNEEE!!!".

On the same note, they shouldn't even have your warranty's info unless you've given it to them or are in for a claim.
      11-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #6
Playnice
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M Package

Thank you so much for your help guys. I will be getting it flashed by them.

Cheers
Appreciate 1
Matticus913474.50