BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i xDrive

Adding Bluetooth revisited

Just wondering if anybody has had success in adding Bluetooth to a non-iDrive car. I know there are some old topics relating to this but I don't think I've ever seen a step-by-step procedure for how to add it using the OEM parts (along with a parts list). Anybody know if this can be done? It seems to be the one thing my car is missing that was better in my old car.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
Pelicanglider
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i Convertible

I wanted to add bluetooth to my 2008 128i after getting used to it in my wife's new Odyssey. I researched using the equipment already installed so I could use the buttons I had on the steering wheel, but it sounded complicated and expensive. I thought about buying a GPS with Bluetooth, but I felt like I was buying more than I really wanted. So I did some searching on Amazon and found the Kinivo BTC450. It was the top rated Bluetooth device for the car and there was lots of feedback from people who had bought the device. It was only $40, which was very affordable compared to the other things I was looking at, so I decided to buy one. It came a few days later and it only took me five minutes to install. Got my iPhone 5, paired it up, call my wife (using SIRI). Phone quality is excellent because the sound comes through the car speakers. The built in microphone worked well and my wife reports sound was clear. I can play music on my phone either using my iTunes or Pandora. Its everything I wanted from a Bluetooth device and I think It looks good where I decided to install it. Its easy to reach and I don't have to look at it to get it to do what I want. The wiring is tucked into the center console, so the only wire visible is the wire coming out of the control unit.
Attached Images

10-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' VO 1M, 17' LBB M2

I've added Bluetooth using only OEM parts. The head unit I switched in turned out to be Vin matched to another car, a year later I still haven't deleted the Vin nor coded out the odd quirks that came with an unrecognized headunit. But I've gotten the cable necessary to code, still waiting on a sizable amount of free time to hopefully finish this mod.

In a nutshell it is possible. Just a real pain in the ass.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
spongers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertable

I just added a Parrot system to my 128i non-idrive, and love it. Used the mki9200 kit: http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/b...-free-car-kits
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelicanglider View Post
I wanted to add bluetooth to my 2008 128i after getting used to it in my wife's new Odyssey. I researched using the equipment already installed so I could use the buttons I had on the steering wheel, but it sounded complicated and expensive. I thought about buying a GPS with Bluetooth, but I felt like I was buying more than I really wanted. So I did some searching on Amazon and found the Kinivo BTC450. It was the top rated Bluetooth device for the car and there was lots of feedback from people who had bought the device. It was only $40, which was very affordable compared to the other things I was looking at, so I decided to buy one. It came a few days later and it only took me five minutes to install. Got my iPhone 5, paired it up, call my wife (using SIRI). Phone quality is excellent because the sound comes through the car speakers. The built in microphone worked well and my wife reports sound was clear. I can play music on my phone either using my iTunes or Pandora. Its everything I wanted from a Bluetooth device and I think It looks good where I decided to install it. Its easy to reach and I don't have to look at it to get it to do what I want. The wiring is tucked into the center console, so the only wire visible is the wire coming out of the control unit.
So with this setup you pretty much need to leave your radio on the Aux input, right? If you are listening to the radio or satellite radio you can't easily use your phone for calls and the ring won't interrupt the music. How does this work out for you? Do you mainly use your phone for music so the input is always just set to Aux? Do the buttons on the Kinivo control forward and back songs on the iPhone and on Spotify?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
Pelicanglider
Enlisted Member
Rep

You are right about the AUX position. If I'm listening to the radio, I have to hear my phone ringing, switch to AUX and press the button on the Kinivo to answer (the only calls I receive are from my wife usually in heavy traffic). However, to make a call, I can use SIRI and that has worked very well so far. Playing music, you can skip to the next song or go back to the previous song with the Kinivo. There is a button on the outside rim, on top, to move forward and back through the music. For me, it was the right device to enable hands-free calling from my iPhone - inexpensive, simple to install and operate, and I don't have to deal with another screen mounted to the dash. I would have liked to have been able to use the buttons on the steering wheel, but the cost and complication were more than I wanted to deal with.
      10-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' VO 1M, 17' LBB M2

Quote:
You are right about the AUX position. If I'm listening to the radio, I have to hear my phone ringing, switch to AUX and press the button on the Kinivo to answer (the only calls I receive are from my wife usually in heavy traffic). However, to make a call, I can use SIRI and that has worked very well so far. Playing music, you can skip to the next song or go back to the previous song with the Kinivo. There is a button on the outside rim, on top, to move forward and back through the music. For me, it was the right device to enable hands-free calling from my iPhone - inexpensive, simple to install and operate, and I don't have to deal with another screen mounted to the dash. I would have liked to have been able to use the buttons on the steering wheel, but the cost and complication were more than I wanted to deal with.
The steering wheel controls are nice but my voice commands are all in German
      10-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Have you tested if the forward and back work with different music apps on the iPhone? Such as Spotify? I know when I have my phone just connected to the car with the USB cable the steering wheel buttons can control the forward and back, but it seems to get all messed up after a few times I end up having to unplug the phone and plug it back in. Would be nice to get away from that and just use it via Bluetooth.

On a related note, does anybody know if you can use both the headphone Aux port and the USB port at the same time? Like can I use this Kinivo device via the headphone Aux port while using the USB port to charge my phone at the same time, or will the USB port override the headphone port and then my Kinivo won't work?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
Pelicanglider
Enlisted Member
Rep

There is a USB connection on the back of the Kinivo power plug to use for charging your phone.
      10-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There is a USB connection on the back of the Kinivo power plug to use for charging your phone.
Doh! I see that in the picture now Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Anybody know if the stock bluetooth or even the aftermarket ones have a mute button? Would be nice to have rather than having to mute and unmute on the phone itself when using speakerphone.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #12
Pelicanglider
Enlisted Member
Rep

Kinivo BTC450 update. Today drove home with the top down, 65 mph, ear plugs for traffic noise. Wife calls, I can hear her, she can hear me. This thing is great! I do not own Kinivo stock nor am I paid for my endorsement!
      11-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
dannypwr
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i Vert

I did something like Pelican but used a Belkin car audio connect w bluetooth. I routed the wires behind the radio, and notched the "wood" trim ,and my button sits under the haz light
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
kioneo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2008 135i

I realize this isn't an OEM solution, but like some of the folks I've added a Bluetooth adapter that works well. I have a Tune2air (WMA 1000). It works very well and from my perspective it's as if the phone was physically connected. It connects to the factory Y-cable and then Bluetooth to the phone. All of my steering wheel controls work, along with media browsing, and the quality is excellent. There are a lot of cheaper 30-pin bluetooth adapters, but this one seems to take the cake. I tested the SB330 ($20) but the quality was worse and it did not integrate with the car for the purpose of media browsing and control.

http://www.amazon.com/ViseeO-WMA1000...words=wma+1000
Appreciate 0