BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Kemplar
Rep
Drives: 2009 135I

Suspension Advice(I've searched quite a bit)

Folks,

I'm kind of torn about which way to go for my suspension mods. I've done some autocross in the past, but frankly I'm not the best cone dodger in the world although I do plan to pick it back up once the car arrives.

Basically I'd like to make the car stiffer and more neutral while still having a livable daily drive. I'm also in Ohio, so I'm a bit concerned about clearance in the winter. I know a coilover will let me adjust the height but I hear once the threads get gummed up they become hard to work with?

I see two options:

1. Dinan Stage 2- I have a dealer that can install it and my understanding is I'm looking at about 1/2 an inch lower clearance but no adjustability. This setup probably won't be quite as good in the handling department but it's more set it and forget it.

2. KW V2- I can play with the suspension quite a bit to get it how I'd like it and it should be decent for autox and the occasional track day, but I'll need to find a shop to do the install and learn how to adjust the height or take it to a shop to have it done seasonally.

Anybody else in my shoes? Am I missing anything I should be thinking about? Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
fmxomar
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

kw v2 all the way
performs better than dinan and much more worth the price

i would even go with kw v1 before dinan. this is already setup by kw, but at least you can adjust height as well
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmxomar View Post
kw v2 all the way
performs better than dinan and much more worth the price

i would even go with kw v1 before dinan. this is already setup by kw, but at least you can adjust height as well
Dinan is overpriced by about 150% and is not a good setup to boot..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
Kemplar
Rep
Drives: 2009 135I

Sounds like everybody loves the V1/V2 option. Do we have anybody using them in cold weather states? Are you guys raising/lowering seasonally or are you just setting it and forgetting it. I want the car to handle as good as possible, but I need it to be a daily driver too
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
Dave Mac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemplar View Post
Folks,

I'm kind of torn about which way to go for my suspension mods. I've done some autocross in the past, but frankly I'm not the best cone dodger in the world although I do plan to pick it back up once the car arrives.

Basically I'd like to make the car stiffer and more neutral while still having a livable daily drive. I'm also in Ohio, so I'm a bit concerned about clearance in the winter. I know a coilover will let me adjust the height but I hear once the threads get gummed up they become hard to work with?

I see two options:

1. Dinan Stage 2- I have a dealer that can install it and my understanding is I'm looking at about 1/2 an inch lower clearance but no adjustability. This setup probably won't be quite as good in the handling department but it's more set it and forget it.

2. KW V2- I can play with the suspension quite a bit to get it how I'd like it and it should be decent for autox and the occasional track day, but I'll need to find a shop to do the install and learn how to adjust the height or take it to a shop to have it done seasonally.

Anybody else in my shoes? Am I missing anything I should be thinking about? Thanks for your input!
Since you are in Ohio and I know your roads are as bad as they are in PA you should consider a monotube damper. Don't forget bilstein PSS10; they are very, very good monotube dampers. Better than any twin-tube design for our rougher roads. You will have better ride compliance and better damping control with a monotube damper.

Hope that helps.

Dave Mac
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
shadowiix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

harold from hp autowerks came to visit me yesterday. talked about what to do with the suspension and stuff, seems like more than just bolting on a coilover kit, recomended buying the m3 control arms and other things at the same time. should visit his site hpautowerks.com
Appreciate 0