BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i xDrive

Best unit / mounting location for navigation

I've got a 135i without iDrive and would like to add some type of "semi-permanent" nav system to the car. Base on what I've read I don't think I want to bother trying to replace the factory HU with an aftermarket one. I'd rather just buy a standard $100 or whatever stand-alone GPS unit from Garmin or somebody and then find a good way to mount it in the car without using the windshield suction cup. I don't have the ashtray below the radio so I was thinking that little pocket area might be a good place to somehow mount the GPS unit. Just wondering if anybody else has some ideas/pictures/suggestions on what unit to get and how to mount it so it looks somewhat "built-in".
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Just use your phone. I find the real time traffic update / reroutes from google or waze are better than any garmin with traffic feeds. This mountek cradle works nicely since none of us use the cd slot anymore. This is a picture from my Z4 but works just as well on the 135

10-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Use BMW Pro mount

BMW at least used to offer a BMW Portable Pro model that was a re-branded Garmin on a metal mount that screws down under the hood over the gauges. If you search in the DIY section you should be able to find my article on installing a nuvi in my 128i. There are others. Initially I used a 760 but I now have a 885t in my vert. You bring the wires out under the hood so they are only visible for a few inches. This mount is solid and works well. It has the advantage of positioning the GPS where the passenger can use it. On a trip recently that would have been nice.

I made my own mount to move the nuvi to the left of the gauges between the hood and the windshield. I like that most of the time but it isn't great if I am driving on a twisty road vigorously and need to use the GPS. Then I would like my wife to be able to use it which is only possible if I take it out of the mount.

The garmin mount and my mount are for 4.2 inch nuvis. 5 inch and bigger are now available. But there are still lots of 4.2 inch units. I like my old nuvis because they do routes and mp3 playback. But there are advantages of the new ones too.

If you can still get the Portable Pro model from BMW that is another option. It would be more than a nuvi + mount but a lot less than the iDrive. BMW makes the wiring a bit better and they also re-program the car so it switches automatically to the nuvi. Mine is set up so I put the nuvi output to the aux port of the car and have to switch to that if I'm listening to the radio and get a phone call or something.

Here's a link to my old DIY which has information about my current mount at the end:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...highlight=nuvi

Last edited by JimD; 10-14-2013 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
bmw_118d
Rep
Drives: bmw serie 1 118d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post
Just use your phone. I find the real time traffic update / reroutes from google or waze are better than any garmin with traffic feeds. This mountek cradle works nicely since none of us use the cd slot anymore. This is a picture from my Z4 but works just as well on the 135

Two gps unit, why ?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_118d View Post
Two gps unit, why ?
Two because the cost of removing the factory one is ridiculous lol

And I don't use the phone just for GPS, I use it for music and acquisition data when I'm on track