E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Official Montreal Members Thread

Closed Thread

02-03-2006, 10:06 AM   #441
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

THAT TOTALLY SUCKS TOM, OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You may remember Tom's place as the cornerstone for the "Official Post Pics of Your Crib" Thread....

Next time give me the keys and I'll check in every day!

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2006, 03:53 PM   #442
benoitch
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Indeed, that sucks big time. When you know someone came in your place while you weren't there. Those #&@%$# bastards. The worst of it is that usually you end up paying a premium with your insurance just because someone stole from you. Like we 're not already paying in advance for such an event :mad:

I surely hope that the usual behavior these bastards have will not happen this time, ie. more often than not, they return a second time. The first time was a reconaissance. I don't mean to scare you, but it does happen quite a lot. It mostly depend on your region and the kind of brake in it was. You should ask your police contact what they think. Then you can wait for then with a ... you decide what !

Got a car stolen in my driveway 5 years ago and I'm still frustrated from that. But hey, it's only metal. But you do pay for it for a long time ...

http://www.benoitchampagne.com
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2006, 11:33 AM   #443
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
It was pretty strange. They didn't seem to want anything except the TV. The cabinet underneath was open but only because they were after the remote control. They opened all my closets/storage room but presumably only because they were hoping to find the stand or the box (not there, fuckers). They tried to pull the power cord out through the wall but couldn't, in a funny way they were pretty respectful of my place as they didn't even bother with openly displayed valuables, and if they'd tipped the cabinet over forward they would have been able to get the power cable out... instead they just moved it forward a bit. They even closed the kitchen drawer that they removed a butter knife from to get the ring that passes through the rod that secures the plasma to the bracket on the wall. How sweet. I have a strange feeling it might be someone I know or have seen before who lives on my floor and noticed the papers stacked outside my door (The Gazette didn't stop delivery - from now on I'm doing it a day early to make sure it was processed properly).

Anyway, they took the tv/remote and my windows media center remote and keyboard (??). I've changed the lock to a fuck-off solid Medeco, and I'm contemplating getting an alarm. Note to condo owners, you hear it all the time but CHANGE the locks when you move in. The apartment above me was broken into as well Wednesday during the day. I arrived home to find the door closed but not locked, so either they picked it or they had a key. According the cops you can't tell, but the locksmith said the key trade on all these new yuppie-condos is booming.

So that's it. I guess I'll take advantage of the situation and upgrade to an HDTV. I don't know how much they'll get for an obviously stolen plasma with no box, stand or power cord.... but it could have been much worse. It's probably the most easily replacable of all my posessions worth stealing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #444
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by benoitch
Indeed, that sucks big time. When you know someone came in your place while you weren't there. Those #&@%$# bastards. The worst of it is that usually you end up paying a premium with your insurance just because someone stole from you. Like we 're not already paying in advance for such an event :mad:

I surely hope that the usual behavior these bastards have will not happen this time, ie. more often than not, they return a second time. The first time was a reconaissance. I don't mean to scare you, but it does happen quite a lot. It mostly depend on your region and the kind of brake in it was. You should ask your police contact what they think. Then you can wait for then with a ... you decide what !

Got a car stolen in my driveway 5 years ago and I'm still frustrated from that. But hey, it's only metal. But you do pay for it for a long time ...
Well, I sure hope they don't come back. If they do I hope they come when I'm home because I will be waiting and still pretty pissed about the welcome home they left me last time. It's probably a stupid thing to hope for but I figure they're statistically unlikely to be bigger or more pissed off than me. They better bring a baggie for their teeth.

I guess there's a good chance they'd come back because they know that I'll probably have a new plasma or LCD on the wall where the one they took was.... I don't really know what I can do to stop that from happening. I'm going to bitch to the condo board about the complete lack of security in the building, and like I said I had a $200 lock installed. I'm also going to talk to my neighbors about maybe bringing in my newspapers for me when they see a big stack accumulating outside my door???!! Although I've ignored papers sitting stagnant outside people's doors before.... so I guess I'm equally guilty of being a space cadet.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2006, 04:38 PM   #445
benoitch
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Like you said they were pretty respectful of the place. Meaning, they're either people you might know (or thought you knew) or been there once, or they are real professional. In the later case, they usually go for one valuable object to make their "reconnaissance" worthwhile. The next time, the empty the place . However, being your place is a condo, it might be a little different. But young shameless and headless pitty thieves are usually not really careful. Then again, prefessional usually don't bother with cables either and simply cut them off ! I don't want to worry you or anything, but it is a good thing that you put a god door lock and indeed try to get a minimal resolution from the condo exec and fellow to bring back some security into the place. A lesson learned is worth a thousands.

Good luck.

http://www.benoitchampagne.com
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #446
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Tom,

Sell your place and get a new one. Your neighbour is a thief and your neighbourhood is targeted by theifs (I remember your M3 story).

And I agree you were probably targeted by someone who knew you had the TV and that you were not there.

I have spent a week from hell at work as well. 2Am nights every day until Thursday, when I just didn't sleep at all until Saturday at 3 AM - but the deal closed, so I am happy now.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2006, 12:52 PM   #447
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Now for the important question, Tom....did they take your BMW clock???????

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2006, 02:35 PM   #448
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Well, someone reading this board would know that I was in Toronto and have seen pics of my plasma in the cribs thread. They would also know where my apartment is because of a pic I posted a while back (now deleted) of the view out my window. They wouldn't be able to tell exactly what floor I was on, but coincidentally the apartment directly above mine was broken into as well. How's that for a conspiricy theory?

The list is really pretty short of people who have seen my apartment contents.... aside from the endless number of young woman that have been in my apartment. Haha, I wish.

I know Benoit, it's weird that they were very careful removing the TV and didn't just cut the cables and drag it out. The way they went looking for the remote and tried to get the cables and find the box/stand are like someone taking it for themselves... not to sell it.

Really, they got the plasma. The only reason I could see them coming back would be to try and get the replacement. Other than that there isn't too much to take.... unless they want to wheel out my appliances and furniture. They could pick any door in my building an probably find a much better selection of fenceable goods than my place.

I sent an email out to the condo board and the company that manages the building. I wouldn't move over this, I love my place. They target this area because it's full of yuppies that like to have nice things that are worth stealing. I suppose I could move to a less affluent area but then my E90 would probably get stolen (!!!).

Haha... my cousin asked the same thing. Both of my BMW clocks are safe (including the stainless steel BMW F1 Williams one I got for Christmas).
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #449
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Now if you had a donkey staying there...they are legendary guard animals for the herd, no joke!!

Heeeeeeeeee---hawwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2006, 02:48 PM   #450
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

You should go to a building that has a 24 hours guard and camera setup.

I lived dowtown and rented in a building like that - no problems with theft. Frankly, living in yuppiedom without the proper protection leaves you vulnerable. As for your car getting stolen in a less afluent neighbourhood, your neighbor had her M3 raped in your own garage. What more do you need.

Unless your condo association deciedes to up the service to doorman + camera system, you will be targeted again. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2006, 10:47 AM   #451
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Well, we'll see. I'm not going to sell my apartment after 10 months and buy another one because of this. The neighborhood is extremely safe and quiet for downtown, property theft is something that can happen anywhere.... even with a doorman and cameras. I was an easy mark with no alarm and a cheap door lock, I'm not any more.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2006, 02:16 PM   #452
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by findtom
Well, we'll see. I'm not going to sell my apartment after 10 months and buy another one because of this. The neighborhood is extremely safe and quiet for downtown, property theft is something that can happen anywhere.... even with a doorman and cameras. I was an easy mark with no alarm and a cheap door lock, I'm not any more.

Don't forget the fake German Sheperd barking alarm and the car cover with the picture of a Hyundai Azera for when you go on vacation without your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #453
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista
Don't forget the fake German Sheperd barking alarm and the car cover with the picture of a Hyundai Azera for when you go on vacation without your car.
Haha... yeah, where can I get a car cover like that??
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2006, 04:58 PM   #454
ssam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: carefully

hello guys,

I ve been working hard in the last couple of weeks....

what happend in your building is crazy Tom!!!
But it might happen anywere and I feel a bit scary now

Benoit was that car stolen in your driveway 5 years ago a bmw?

Where could we buy a fake alarm?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2006, 06:22 PM   #455
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

OK, it's official: I am signed up for the Advanced II course, June 10 (Saturday). It is the full-day course at the Hyppodrome.

Come one come all, it would be fun to meet again (and for some of you guys for the first time).

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2006, 07:33 PM   #456
ssam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: carefully

seems interesting....

is the course with e90 or with old 3 series?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 11:46 AM   #457
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

The BMW site says they are using 330 sedans in auto and manual.

So I am going to assume that they'll be e90s.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 07:59 PM   #458
Wolf359
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I think one of their E90s was at the Montréal auto show, wasn't it?

Today I almost got a ticket, but by some twisted turn of events, made someone else get caught! I was driving about 70 km/h on a boulevard and someone was quite close to my ass. Then I saw the cop car an thought: "Shit, he nailed me!", and I slowed down immediatly. The brown Impala that was following me quickly took the left lane and gunned it, he must have gotten to 80 km/h easily... So I continued slowing down as I let the cop car turn in front of me and run after him...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2006, 09:48 PM   #459
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf359
I think one of their E90s was at the Montréal auto show, wasn't it?

Today I almost got a ticket, but by some twisted turn of events, made someone else get caught! I was driving about 70 km/h on a boulevard and someone was quite close to my ass. Then I saw the cop car an thought: "Shit, he nailed me!", and I slowed down immediatly. The brown Impala that was following me quickly took the left lane and gunned it, he must have gotten to 80 km/h easily... So I continued slowing down as I let the cop car turn in front of me and run after him...

Ha ha!! Way to go Wolf!! Love it!!

Maybe some of your luck will rub off on poor Tom who gets nailed every now and then quite pointlessly!!

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2006, 03:10 PM   #460
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Now I know where Wolf got his nom de plume: preying upon unsuspecting Impalas

Sorry could not resist.

Anyways, I am attempting to reschedule my course for Sunday June 4, since it appears that I cannot make it for the June 10 course.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2006, 06:36 PM   #461
Wolf359
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista
Now I know where Wolf got his nom de plume: preying upon unsuspecting Impalas

Sorry could not resist.
Good one!

Actually, it is the name of a star (Well, there is a space between Wolf and 359 but I was too lazy to include it). I took that nickname years ago on bulletin board systems (Before everyone jumped on the internet bandwagon). I thought it was cool, astronomy-related and rather obscure (Not well known).

That was until lady destiny decided to have it her way, and the star was named in a Star Trek episode where a famous battle took place. I was doomed. Fans would see my nick and insult me by applying the Trekker social stigma to myself (History doesn't tell if I fully recovered or not). That was completely unfair! I found that star first!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2006, 06:42 PM   #462
Wolf359
Captain
Rep

Oh and on another topic, I hope you guys were all okay last Friday? It was hellish out there!

A co-worker got out of the restaurant and saw his glasses take off into the wind, and slide on the ice... Actually he quickly lost them from sight and it took him fifteen minutes in that crazy blowing wind to find them!

One casualty on that day was my passenger-side L-shaped wiper trim piece (The one covering the merge between the wiper arm and blade). For a few weeks it was not holding too well (The plastic hook inside it was broken) and the heavy wind took it away. Just went to the dealership today to get a new one, they didn't charge me (Anyways if they had it would have been five box).

But the images of car pileups were really scary...!
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread