BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-24-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
oner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hartge Spoiler Install? Had Anyone done this?

I bought my Hargte Spoiler from WSTO and tried to install today unsuccessfully. The 3M tape would not hold the corners down and there was too much lifting. Does anyone have experience with this spoiler? Is Betalink a better solution?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

I have had that lip on my car for about 2 years now. I did not use the tape that came with the spoiler I used larger diameter (1/2in) 3M tape and have had no issues. Sometimes a little heat helps to soften the plastic so that you can get it into shape better. Also make sure you claen the bumper and the spoiler before you put the tape on with a degreaser. I have never used the Betalink. Hope this helps

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 03:03 AM   #3
Eric@e2design
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged E46 M3

Wash your car.. and clean the rear glass... (or do whatever you want to remove dirt and oil)

Apply 3M Tape all on roof spoiler so you make one of these patterns:

Wait until morning on a nice warm day and stick that thing on =)

get a bath towel and cover your roof spoiler.. go find your wife/gf's 10 lb weights and put it on the corners of the roof spoiler.. use logic to position your weights.

leave car parked outside under the sun for the day.. and find a ride to work..

come back home and profit.

TIP: if you're having a hard time applying the 3m tape to the roof spoiler for whatever reason you can use some super glue to help..

EDIT: if you're impatient and lazy use a hair drier to heat up the tape and let it cool.. repeat a few times until the spoiler is rock solid on the glass.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Eeighty8
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E88

While I don't have experience with that particular spoiler, I did use Betalink to glue my MINI spoiler on. I prepped the surface with Betaclean, I think it's called. Small little can.

The Betalink has a soft, tar-like consistency and is a little messy. You probably want to park the car for 24 hours after using it and avoid water. It held my spoiler down with no issues for at least 2 years.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
Eric@e2design
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged E46 M3

pictures already D: lol
Appreciate 0