BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

HELP...To tune or not to tune????

I have been considering a Vishnu Procede and dual cone intake on my 1M. My local shop claims 400hp and 400ft-lb torque?.....Is this accurate?...Is it worth it ($1,100)..can you really feel the difference?..will it damage other parts?...

I have had several M cars but never a turbo so I do not know what to expect?..

Any input would really be appreciated.....thanks!!
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '08 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
not sure on a 1M but on a 135i N54 you could see gains up to 80 horsepower with a jb4 stage 3 and its close to the same price as Vishnu. intakes and downpipes will net you the biggest gains as far as bolt ons go
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

It's very worth it with minimal impact on reliability; go with the jb4, a better product, if not a Cobb would be my second choice.
      05-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '08 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMH View Post
It's very worth it with minimal impact on reliability; go with the jb4, a better product, if not a Cobb would be my second choice.
couldn't agree more!! how do you like the TIAL bov? i installed one on my 1er with the ER chargepipe and its audible but seems really quiet. i can see the valve moving so i know its working i just expected it to be a little louder. love the noise though!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I like the tial a lot, it's perfect for me I have a type rs on my z3 that's turbo'ed, it's recirculating like a diverter valve but if it was venting to air it'd be far too much. I like the tial, it's wildly efficient as it's large and allows air to evacuate out of all 365 degrees of it, and it's a lot more sound when on it but only as a whoosh, no whistle, I like it. I do sometimes feel like it should've opened during a shift, I'm expecting to hear it and I don't, not sure what maintenance it needs but it seems like it sticks 5% of the time or something.

The tune, do it, but get a jb4 or Cobb depending on your tinkering preference, jb4 requiring more interest in a wrench as it is physically installed. The open nature of their tunes means amazing things, like when I found an e85 station 5 minutes from my office, bam, extra 35-40whp! If you'd had a product that required you to buy a new map you'd have to wonder if it's worth it and how often you run it etc. it's just a great product with a plethora of features from dumb but fun like enabling gauge sweep on startup, to boost on gas gauge which works excellently, to boost limiting lower gears to maintain traction, the best meth control there is, auto tuning maps that are effective and support that you can complain to about a symptom and get a tune, emailed to you to fix it with a few days. A great product and it's a beast, far stronger

Last edited by SpencerMH; 05-03-2013 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
The tune, do it, but get a jb4 or Cobb depending on your tinkering preference, jb4 requiring more interest in a wrench as it is physically installed. The open nature of their tunes means amazing things, like when I found an e85 station 5 minutes from my office, bam, extra 35-40whp! If you'd had a product that required you to buy a new map you'd have to wonder if it's worth it and how often you run it etc. it's just a great product with a plethora of features from dumb but fun like enabling gauge sweep on startup, to boost on gas gauge which works excellently, to boost limiting lower gears to maintain traction, the best meth control there is, auto tuning maps that are effective and support that you can complain to about a symptom and get a tuned emailed to you to fix it with a few days. A great product and it's a beast, far stronger
i agree with this, but prefer cobb

e-tunes from PTF have shown amazing results, and cobb is excellent (as is jb) at constantly updating and improving their product. and all of the updates are free.

cobb allows more control over your tuning parameters, and IMO is a more precsise and comprehensive way to tune a car (better timing control, and load targeting not boost targeting like piggies)

both, especially cobb, have excellent resale. pick up a used cobb for 650 bucks and go to town.

i would add that i would budget to get a FMIC at the same time, forget the intake. the fmic will allow you to run a more aggressive map and have much better control over IAT. most intakes will marginally INCREASE iat, so i wouldnt run an intake without a FMIC

FMIC + Cobb =
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
i agree with this, but prefer cobb

e-tunes from PTF have shown amazing results, and cobb is excellent (as is jb) at constantly updating and improving their product. and all of the updates are free.

cobb allows more control over your tuning parameters, and IMO is a more precsise and comprehensive way to tune a car (better timing control, and load targeting not boost targeting like piggies)

both, especially cobb, have excellent resale. pick up a used cobb for 650 bucks and go to town.

i would add that i would budget to get a FMIC at the same time, forget the intake. the fmic will allow you to run a more aggressive map and have much better control over IAT. most intakes will marginally INCREASE iat, so i wouldnt run an intake without a FMIC

FMIC + Cobb =
+1

I can't wait to get an etune, but only after DPs.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 02:52 AM   #8
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
I agree with this, but prefer cobb..
FMIC + Cobb =
Agree. Tune must have a FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
A tune is an easier decision on a 135. I fully modded my 135 the first couple of years I owned it. I had a Procede and switched to a custom flash tune.

However, I do not think I'd tune a 1M until it was off the warranty. My impression is that stock 1M's already put out Hp numbers similar to moderately aftermarket tuned normal N54. So you have less Hp to gain on an already more valuable car.

The opposite argument would be at least the suspension, tires, etc on a 1M would be able to handle the extra Hp. Even with an aftermarket LSD and the biggest rear tires I can squeeze on, my 135 spins tires sometimes up to around 60mph.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #10
saurabh_turingMS
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M AW (F10 520D MSport - gone)

I know my BMW Service Manager well (great guy) and from day 1 he told me to look in to a tune. In BMW tech circles the feel is the 1M was held back for obvious reasons.
I personally chose a flash tune over PB, for various reasons. Generally speaking you can't go wrong if you stick one of the big names, as it ensures ongoing support from tuner...which IMO is the most important factor. Good quality FMIC is important to maintain higher boost levels reliably
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

Thanks for all the input!!
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 01:06 AM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn View Post
I have been considering a Vishnu Procede and dual cone intake on my 1M. My local shop claims 400hp and 400ft-lb torque?.....Is this accurate?...Is it worth it ($1,100)..can you really feel the difference?..will it damage other parts?...

Go to your local GIAC dealer ask for about 30-day trail flash.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #13
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn View Post

Go to your local GIAC dealer ask for about 30-day trail flash.
A trial flash? I'd be interested to see if I prefer it to my jb4, give up some functionality for smoothness, but that's a brilliant idea for them, if I didn't have a tune and got a trial there'd be no way you could pry it away from me after feeling the difference.
      05-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - GIAC:S2

My 2c: If you do the supporting mods, go for it! Otherwise you may not be entirely happy... Consistency with out abuse is very important to me!
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877009
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
A trial flash? I'd be interested to see if I prefer it to my jb4, give up some functionality for smoothness, but that's a brilliant idea for them, if I didn't have a tune and got a trial there'd be no way you could pry it away from me after feeling the difference.
We have done numerous trial flashes here, not limited to BMW's, but Audi, VW and Porches as well. No one has yet to request for a re-flash back to stock yet!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #16
DakotaFeely
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135I

I was thinking about getting a jb4 myself. I bought my 2012 n55 135i with a AFE intake and a exhaust already on it and I'm not sure if it has a tune or not? it keeps up with a 07 jb4 335i coupe. Can anyone help? I'm hoping it doesnt have a tune already on it. how can you tell if its tuned? thanks!
Appreciate 0