BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 LMB 135i

Dumb question/first turbo car

Ok, hate to ask what seems like could be such a dumb question, but this is the first turbo car I have owned so my experience is limited.

Installed a JB4, and Axle back Berk Sport. Everything else is stock. Just rolled over the 1200 mile break in.

As the weather gets nicer I have been rolling with my windows down. When on the highway next to a jersey wall I can hear a lot more of the exhaust and sounds the car is making.

When under full power/load, there is a noise that I am not used to hearing. Its not a turbo spool noise but a very raspy almost rattle like sound with the exhaust. It doesn't necessarily sound bad, but ive never had a car that makes this distinct noise before. It almost sounds like some of the heavily tuned cars with massive down pipes kind of noise that I have seen in youtube videos on here. Is this a normal sound for a N55 running stock DP?

Like I said, this feels like a dumb question but, I was thinking that this car when stock wouldnt make that kind of racket. Go easy on me lol. My mechanical/automotive knowledge extends almost exclusively to motorcycles. Im hoping that this is just the normal sound cause it is pretty nasty
      09-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by .b0link View Post
Ok, hate to ask what seems like could be such a dumb question, but this is the first turbo car I have owned so my experience is limited.

Installed a JB4, and Axle back Berk Sport. Everything else is stock. Just rolled over the 1200 mile break in.

As the weather gets nicer I have been rolling with my windows down. When on the highway next to a jersey wall I can hear a lot more of the exhaust and sounds the car is making.

When under full power/load, there is a noise that I am not used to hearing. Its not a turbo spool noise but a very raspy almost rattle like sound with the exhaust. It doesn't necessarily sound bad, but ive never had a car that makes this distinct noise before. It almost sounds like some of the heavily tuned cars with massive down pipes kind of noise that I have seen in youtube videos on here. Is this a normal sound for a N55 running stock DP?

Like I said, this feels like a dumb question but, I was thinking that this car when stock wouldnt make that kind of racket. Go easy on me lol. My mechanical/automotive knowledge extends almost exclusively to motorcycles. Im hoping that this is just the normal sound cause it is pretty nasty
You sure you have your exhaust bolted On straight with a good gasket? Maybe it's a slights ratted on the seem where you bolted on your axle back under full throttle maybe post a video?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 LMB 135i

Gasket is reused from stock exhaust...looked like a teflon weave kind of deal that was attached onto the end of the midpipes. Instructions said that it is re-usable and to re-use it. I will get it underneath sometime this week and check the bolts. Don't see how they could come out with the springs loading them though.
      09-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

may have a slight exhaust gas leak. I had a leak when I first installed my midpipes and I went back under, gave the bolts an extra turn and that did the trick.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Keep us posted
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0