BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-09-2015, 12:57 AM   #1
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Alcantara wear and other aging parts

Starting to get a little wear on the alcantara e-brake and gearshift boots. Does anyone know where/how to get replacement? Real oem doesnt seem to list the item number. Its not that bad yet but just considering purchasing them so I can have a replacement ready.

Anybody else have any other items they are saving for replacement? Only other site I have some wear is very minimal on lower driver seat bolster. I try to keep the leather well conditioned best as possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 01:09 AM   #2
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
You can keep the alcantara boot and replace with a ZCP if you want longer wear

ZCP - http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...ifter/ES47397/

Ebrake handle - pic shows it without alcantara.. weird
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...nsole/ES62012/
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 08:34 AM   #3
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, thats an option but i much prefer the alcantara.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 08:52 AM   #4
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

I don't notice any alcantara wear on my gear shift and e-brake boots, nothing touches them.

The electronic steering wheel with alcantara sides has a ton of wear from my hands, but it's not as practical to keep a spare one of those! I don't know if any cleaning/care would help restore/preserve it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #5
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

The closest you'll probably get for the leather parking brake handle is this :
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-1_M...Brake/ES62127/

For the parking brake boot you could get this and just use a dye pen to make the stitching orange :
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-1_M...rake/ES264400/

Replacement 1M knob + boot assembly :
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Site...315/ES2217456/

or get the ZCP knob recommended above with this boot and dye the stitching orange :
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES46520/

Personally doing the same thing, picked up the replacement floor mats mentioned elsewhere, and have a replacement shift knob waiting as well.

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #6
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep

Here is what I mean. The camera flash makes it look much worse but just some slight discoloration and wrinkling. I have almost 50k mikes one the car. I would think BMW could order replacement but local dealer is moron. Anybody try swissvax or sonax alcantara cleaner?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #7
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep

mobile pic upload failed so here goes again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 10:20 AM   #8
kleach18
Essayons
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I just use very watered down cleaner and a very soft bristle toothbrush. Dip the toothbrush a little and rub in all directions and dry it with a clean towel a section at a time. Works for the BMW performance steering wheel I have.
/ 135i - M-Sport / 6-Speed / BMW Performance Exhaust / BMS Intake / JB4 Stage 2 ISO + Flex Fuel Wires / BMS 3.5in Down Pipe / CP-E Charge Pipe / Walbro 255 in-line fuel pump / BMS H8 AE / BMS SSK / APEX EC-7's with Nitto NT05's / COBB Tuning Sport Springs / Koni Yellows / Wagner Evo 1 / Blacklines / iCarbon Rear Diffuser / BMW Performance shift knob/boot / BMW Performance Steering Wheel /
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #9
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep

I ordered the sonax cleaner. If it doesnt help I will try to find replacement. Maybe call United BMW
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #10
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
no need to buy new alcantara. you should try to clean it every 2 or 3 months....as someone else said with a toothbrush and some warm water.

ALSO i have recently started using a fantastic alcantara cleaner for my Alcantara steering wheel....which after 4 or 5 months still looks brand new!

Alcantara gets rejuvenated very quickly with a thorough clean. try it!

this stuff is fantastic: http://www.drbeasleys.com/microsuede-cleanser.html
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 11:45 PM   #11
Les Grossman
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

My BMW Performance steering wheel is starting to show signs of 'wear' but I've been advised that it'll clean up good as new with a little care. My next job I think
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 09:55 AM   #12
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Munson View Post
My BMW Performance steering wheel is starting to show signs of 'wear' but I've been advised that it'll clean up good as new with a little care. My next job I think
get the cleaner i linked to above...also get a soft toothbrush and a towel and get on it! i clean mine every month and it looks brand spanking new!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 10:32 AM   #13
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

What do you guys use on your seats?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 10:57 AM   #14
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
What do you guys use on your seats?
so we have Dakota Leather....which is a 'coated' type of leather. So coated that the first time i drove mine i thought it might be vinyl! haha...but it's not. It's really a waste of time to use fancy cleaners and conditioners on 'coated' leather----in fact they probably do more harm than good by removing some of the coating on the seats. I use just lukewarm water and a plain microfiber towel to remove the dirt.....my seats look pretty much brand new on my car. 50k miles on it. Slight wrinkles on the bolster but that's it really.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 12:22 PM   #15
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep

Agree, with IEDEI regarding the leather. Chemical Guys InnerClean works good on the rest of the surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 02:47 PM   #16
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
so we have Dakota Leather....which is a 'coated' type of leather. So coated that the first time i drove mine i thought it might be vinyl! haha...but it's not. It's really a waste of time to use fancy cleaners and conditioners on 'coated' leather----in fact they probably do more harm than good by removing some of the coating on the seats. I use just lukewarm water and a plain microfiber towel to remove the dirt.....my seats look pretty much brand new on my car. 50k miles on it. Slight wrinkles on the bolster but that's it really.
Thanks! That's what I do!...LOL!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 10:17 PM   #17
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

Even light water on a towel will do wonders, just rub the alcantra and it'll be easy to figure it out, dirt just comes right out. If anyone has the performance wheel, be careful with cleaning the painted stripe, just lightly rubbing a damp towel over it a few times and the paint came off and I haven't found a suitable paint/dye to repair, Id love any suggestions?

On the boot, I had the same damage from the armrest, my dealer replaced it, I just explained its a bad design to have the armrest resting on the rear of the ebrake and they replaced it for free.
      01-13-2015, 04:03 PM   #18
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep

The sonax alcantara cleaner works great. Might be able to just use a mild soap but it was cheap. The e-brake boot is clean but still wrinkled from being in the up position. Annoys me. Glad to hear you got it replaced under warranty. May ask or at least just order a new one. Not sure how easy it would be to swap though.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 07:17 PM   #19
TFO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
Just to add a little something to this point...I did a ton of research as I was concerned about using the wrong product on the leather. The only company that seemed to know what they were talking about was Einszett, the German maker of high-end detailing products. They talk about this exact issue on their website (http://www.1z-usa.com/categories/exp...n-leather.html) and make a product designed specifically for coated leather like ours. I have used this product from day one on my seats and steering wheel (as it also appeared to be coated, following the "water drop test.") I have always feared my steering wheel eventually developing that shine which is ultimately from built up dirt. Using this product regularly has kept my steering wheel looking and feeling like new...butter smooth and not a hint of shine. Anyway, while I certainly agree that using no product is certainly better than the wrong product, I firmly stand behind the 1Z Einszett Lederpflege (http://www.1z-usa.com/products/leath...derpflege.html).

Also, I am pretty certain this company makes a few of the BMW-branded products available from the dealer. One of which, is the Gummi Pflege stick which is used to maintain rubber seals and trim. This stuff is awesome...I got onto it after the Mercedes dealer tried ripping me off on their OEM version (identical to Einszett) for my wife's 1998 SLK 230. This stuff completely silenced SUPER noisy convertible roof seals. Anyway, I toss this stuff on the 1M door rubber regularly to keep it supple (http://www.1z-usa.com/products/gummi-pflege-stick.html).
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 07:41 PM   #20
mtowle182
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Adams total interior cleaner. Cleans and conditions leather plastic vinyl. Not sure about is powers on alcantara but it is fantastic for everything else. Also a cleaner called Cockpit premium by the same German company mentioned above (einszett) is fantastic. Many options.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #21
TFO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtowle182 View Post
Adams total interior cleaner. Cleans and conditions leather plastic vinyl. Not sure about is powers on alcantara but it is fantastic for everything else. Also a cleaner called Cockpit premium by the same German company mentioned above (einszett) is fantastic. Many options.
I forgot to mention Cockpit Premium...I use it on all the interior plastic..phenomenal product as well, however I don't think it should be used on Alcantara. Here are some care instructions I found on their website:
http://www.alcantara.com/cms-web/upl...20Care-ENG.pdf
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 04:39 AM   #22
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFO
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtowle182 View Post
I forgot to mention Cockpit Premium...I use it on all the interior plastic..phenomenal product as well, however I don't think it should be used on Alcantara. Here are some care instructions I found on their website:
http://www.alcantara.com/cms-web/upl...20Care-ENG.pdf" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.alcantara...re-ENG.pdf</a>
i can't use that stuff...it smells like puke...the last time I used it I had to air my 135is out for 2 days! I hope their other products are not made with such malodorous results!
Appreciate 0