BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #89
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4747Z View Post
Yea, when I got about 32-34mpg going to main the cruise was set at 65-70. anything faster than that and the car starts guzzling lol
Another important factor for highway mpg is 'drafting' in traffic.
Our cars are not the most slippery in the wind head on design, so it costs up a bit at high speed.

When I'm in heavier but faster traffic, my mpg shows a decent increase, as displayed on the computer avg.
If I'm driving on the highway with little traffic, and driving at the same speeds, my mpg drops at least by 3-4mpg.

I tried an experiment over the past week. I wanted to see what it might take in terms of changing my driving habits to get the avg mpg higher.
So, I started with a fresh tank of fuel and a new driving attitude.
I did everything possible to try and stay away from boost, which is difficult as our engines produce boost at quite low rpm.
I took off from every stop at a granny's pace, not my normal style.
Each shift was done between 1200-1500rpm, even the 1 to 2, that's how slow my accel from a stop was.
I did not change my highway stop speed when commuting to work, which is around 65-80mph depending on traffic and policing.

I was not so shocked to find that after a week of doing this my mpg improved by only 1-1.5mpg, that's it.
So, driving very slowly and being mindful of every shift and throttle position, netted me pretty much nothing.
12 gallons x 1.5 miles = 18 more miles to the gallon, or less than 1 gallon per tank.

It's the nature of these engines to produce their biggest power at low rpm. I think that's why I wasn't able to achieve great advance in mpg.
I'd like to see a performance tuning option that keeps boost to 50% and under for daily driving.

BTW, my tire pressures during this test were 38psi front, and 41psi rear.
No passengers during this experiment.
I'll try a different method in the next couple of tanks, once that uses full throttle application with short shifts between gears.
1st take offs will not be full throttle.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #90
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Another important factor for highway mpg is 'drafting' in traffic.
Our cars are not the most slippery in the wind head on design, so it costs up a bit at high speed.

When I'm in heavier but faster traffic, my mpg shows a decent increase, as displayed on the computer avg.
If I'm driving on the highway with little traffic, and driving at the same speeds, my mpg drops at least by 3-4mpg.

I tried an experiment over the past week. I wanted to see what it might take in terms of changing my driving habits to get the avg mpg higher.
So, I started with a fresh tank of fuel and a new driving attitude.
I did everything possible to try and stay away from boost, which is difficult as our engines produce boost at quite low rpm.
I took off from every stop at a granny's pace, not my normal style.
Each shift was done between 1200-1500rpm, even the 1 to 2, that's how slow my accel from a stop was.
I did not change my highway stop speed when commuting to work, which is around 65-80mph depending on traffic and policing.

I was not so shocked to find that after a week of doing this my mpg improved by only 1-1.5mpg, that's it.
So, driving very slowly and being mindful of every shift and throttle position, netted me pretty much nothing.
12 gallons x 1.5 miles = 18 more miles to the gallon, or less than 1 gallon per tank.

It's the nature of these engines to produce their biggest power at low rpm. I think that's why I wasn't able to achieve great advance in mpg.
I'd like to see a performance tuning option that keeps boost to 50% and under for daily driving.

BTW, my tire pressures during this test were 38psi front, and 41psi rear.
No passengers during this experiment.
I'll try a different method in the next couple of tanks, once that uses full throttle application with short shifts between gears.
1st take offs will not be full throttle.
let the engine rev a little higher then that..... you're gonna chug the thing, which in turn actually wastes gas too.

just take your time, set the cruise control, and don't get on the throttle more then you have to, and you'll see better numbers then 1.5mph improvement.

I average 24mph and i still get on it hard from time to time, it's just when i'm not on it, i drive it very conservatively. from 1 extreme to the other.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #91
gordongekko
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakka View Post
Over the past year i've averaged about 21.5 MPG's not too bad for the amount of city driving i do.
I do a lot of city driving as well, and I've gotten 21.5 for the first 5 months that I've had my 135. But my interest in MPG is pretty much summed up by your signature.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #92
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordongekko View Post
I do a lot of city driving as well, and I've gotten 21.5 for the first 5 months that I've had my 135. But my interest in MPG is pretty much summed up by your signature.
yeah.... the ladies do like going for rides in the little BMW
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #93
spiral
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

For the amount of HP and torque it has, I'm very happy.
Appreciate 0