BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
Rated-M3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '98 M3, '10 128i

Transmission and Brakes Questions

My wife has owned her '10 128i for about 10 months now. Lately she's been complaining that the [automatic] transmission is shifting hard. I drove it and could not recall how it felt before we bought it. My question to you guys is how hard does your automatic shift? It is definitely not smooth but its not a hard jerk or anything the resembles slippage.

Also, the brakes moan. From a stop, slowly letting off the brake, they make a loud creaking noice (Kind of like old wooden floorboards). Is this what I read in the maintainance/warranty section of the forum, referring to brake squeals. My situation definitely does not sound like a squeal.

I appreciate your help. My search here brought up many topics not related, and a google search brought up a bunch of parts for these cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

If you really thing there is something wrong with it the tranny and brakes, best thing to do is take into the dealer as you should still have warranty as it's 2010. Don't know how many miles your car has on it but it may be time to service both? Also when was the last time the car was washed? Caked up brake dust can lead to squeaks and moans if you don't do a good job cleaning out that area.
      05-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

For the transmissionyou are able to "reset" the internal adaptations.. In laymans terms, the transmission control unit learns and anticipates driving style and over time feels agressive if driving style has changed.

as a second thing, check for leaks in your driveway... there is / was a bulletin about a certain selector shaft seal that may leak.. if theses trannies are 1/2 quart low, they freak out..

To reset it:

get in car
put key in slot, hit start button, BUT do not step on brake to start.
with can on but not running, press and hold accelerator pedal to floor ( all the way past the kickdown ) and hold for 3 or 4 minutes..... yes that long.

Release pedal, and then start car... at this point trans will be a "virgin" and will slowely learn once again....

As far as the moan goes, it could be driving style. like 2 feet driving etc ...The squeal that BMW's suffer from are def a loud high pitched "bus like" squeal.... nothing like a moan.. make sure the e-brake is fully off???
      05-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Are you creaking after the car has been sitting for a while? Could be the rotors rusting up, they get grabby when that happens

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
Rated-M3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '98 M3, '10 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
For the transmissionyou are able to "reset" the internal adaptations.. In laymans terms, the transmission control unit learns and anticipates driving style and over time feels agressive if driving style has changed.

as a second thing, check for leaks in your driveway... there is / was a bulletin about a certain selector shaft seal that may leak.. if theses trannies are 1/2 quart low, they freak out..

To reset it:

get in car
put key in slot, hit start button, BUT do not step on brake to start.
with can on but not running, press and hold accelerator pedal to floor ( all the way past the kickdown ) and hold for 3 or 4 minutes..... yes that long.

Release pedal, and then start car... at this point trans will be a "virgin" and will slowely learn once again....

As far as the moan goes, it could be driving style. like 2 feet driving etc ...The squeal that BMW's suffer from are def a loud high pitched "bus like" squeal.... nothing like a moan.. make sure the e-brake is fully off???
Thanks, I'll mention that at the dealer tomorrow. If they don't do it, I will. It makes sense that maybe the P.O. may have driven aggresively. We bought the car with ~15k miles, now has ~18k. My wife may have a heavy foot, I always bug her about her driving. So maybe she puts on a show when I'm in the car with her, and when I'm not with her, who knows.

As for the brakes, the car doesn't sit much. I would pull the wheels off and clean up everything... if the car came with a jack! Since when did run flats replace the need for tools... The car is too low for any jack I have and the jack points appear to take a slotted lift plate. I've been keeping my out on ebay for a used one, no luck yet.

Hopefully the dealer can straighten everything out.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated-M3 View Post
Thanks, I'll mention that at the dealer tomorrow. If they don't do it, I will. It makes sense that maybe the P.O. may have driven aggresively. We bought the car with ~15k miles, now has ~18k. My wife may have a heavy foot, I always bug her about her driving. So maybe she puts on a show when I'm in the car with her, and when I'm not with her, who knows.

As for the brakes, the car doesn't sit much. I would pull the wheels off and clean up everything... if the car came with a jack! Since when did run flats replace the need for tools... The car is too low for any jack I have and the jack points appear to take a slotted lift plate. I've been keeping my out on ebay for a used one, no luck yet.

Hopefully the dealer can straighten everything out.
If you are goingt o the dealer just tell them to "check for faults", and if none Please "clear the transmission adaptations" .... it makes 100% absolute sense that this will "fix" it as you are the second owner..

buy an aluminum race floor jack fromn Harbour Freight 49.00 or 59.00 depending on the sale ...then go buy a hockey puck so you dont crush the lifting blocks.. If you want a trunk jack for emergencies??? BMW sells a kit - jack and tools in a little case... But i recommend carry a compressor with a plug kit or tire sealent..