BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
veylan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Crimson '08 128i

Garage List
2014 BMW i3 BEV  [0.00]
2014 BMW X1  [0.00]
Fold-in mirror repair

RESOLVED

The answer is yes, it's a piece of cake to repair if you can get the mirror cover off (followed a YouTube video for installing carbon fiber covers on a 135). And that part number below was correct for the passenger-side power fold-in mirrors if you have the shadow line treatment.

I found it easier to remove the mirror as I worked so that I could get easier access to the screws. Also, in lieu of a hook tool like the one in the YouTube video, I wrapped an allen wrench with a little bit of padding. The leverage wasn't as good, but it worked all the same.

Once the mirror is removed and the cover is off, use a T10 torx to unscrew 3 screws holding the mirror frame to the motor mount assembly.

Then remove the one T10 torx screw holding the motor to the motor mount assembly. The motor will pop out easily.

Finally, work your way around the back side of the mirror and unclip the frame from the motor mount assembly. I found it easiest to unclip nearest the vehicle first (top and bottom) and work away from the vehicle.

Installation of course is the reverse of disassembly. All in all, it took around 30 minutes, maybe, not having ever taken apart the mirror before.

Regards,
Thomas

Hi everyone,

My 128's passenger side fold-in mirror got clipped the other morning and cracked the support ring. The front cover also popped off on the outer corner, but snapped back in place with a little pressure. I toggled the fold-in function to make sure it still worked (it does), so the problem seems to be cosmetic and limited to the "support ring". I'm guessing part number 51167220562 is what I'm looking for based off the BMW Atlanta page.

Based off their image, it looks like I might be able to replace this part without dismantling the door - similar to how people install carbon covers on their mirrors. For example, manually point the mirror down and gently pop it off the motor. Then unclip the front cover from the support ring. After that (guessing) I should be able to remove the support ring from the motor base...maybe?

The part itself seems to be only around $40, so I can't help but wonder if I can do this by myself.

Has anyone tried to repair this? Are there any mechanics who can take a look to see if this is as simple as what it seems? Or perhaps anyone who has done a mirror cover installation on a 1-series who can attest to the assembly of the fold-in mirrors?

Thank you all for your time.

Last edited by veylan; 03-16-2012 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0