BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #67
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
I'm not angry or upset Paul and I don't own a 1M nor am I emotionally invested in what anyone thinks of them.

I'm just saying you're never going to pay Advan Performance $2,500 for an aftermarket cooling solution and I'm wondering why you would still ask detailed questions about that product.

It's a logical question with no emotional content attached!

MORNING KENNY

Always happy to discuss the inner workings of my 'justification meter' on purchases.

As I have stated previously, I am plannign on attending a track day at wakefield on the 14/12 (come along, I've never been before should be a hoot ) and I am concerned that in traffic I am seeing temps in the middle of the gauge and I am concerned a consistantly high (well high IMHO) of 120 Deg cannot be good for longevity or performance. So my question is what will the temps get to on the track??? I look at the 1M (remember same N54 engine) with twin front mounted oil coolers as an indication of whats needed.

Now that being said, what is required to bring the temps down to a reasonable level? Oil Cooler AND/OR Radiator, will an OIL cooler AND Meth do a similar job?

I guess in short Kenny the reason I am here is to learn, sorry if that bothers you dude lighten up and have a nice day.

IMO one of the best ways to learn would be to ask those who have done this before.

Pete and JD seem to have put some thought and effort into this kit and are proposing a 'package'. I can assure you that they have not done this solely for my benefit or edification. I am also assure you that Pete would like to make a buck at some point and if the members on the forum can better understand his solution and its benefits, then it is in his commercial interest to do so. So if JD/Pete are willing to answer a few questions why have you got your nose out of joint
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #68
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcockley View Post
MORNING KENNY

Always happy to discuss the inner workings of my 'justification meter' on purchases.

As I have stated previously, I am plannign on attending a track day at wakefield on the 14/12 (come along, I've never been before should be a hoot ) and I am concerned that in traffic I am seeing temps in the middle of the gauge and I am concerned a consistantly high (well high IMHO) of 120 Deg cannot be good for longevity or performance. So my question is what will the temps get to on the track??? I look at the 1M (remember same N54 engine) with twin front mounted oil coolers as an indication of whats needed.

Now that being said, what is required to bring the temps down to a reasonable level? Oil Cooler AND/OR Radiator, will an OIL cooler AND Meth do a similar job?

I guess in short Kenny the reason I am here is to learn, sorry if that bothers you dude lighten up and have a nice day.

IMO one of the best ways to learn would be to ask those who have done this before.

Pete and JD seem to have put some thought and effort into this kit and are proposing a 'package'. I can assure you that they have not done this solely for my benefit or edification. I am also assure you that Pete would like to make a buck at some point and if the members on the forum can better understand his solution and its benefits, then it is in his commercial interest to do so. So if JD/Pete are willing to answer a few questions why have you got your nose out of joint
Paul, it does not bother me if you are here to learn and my nose is not out of joint. I am not emotionally involved in this discussion.

I understand what you are saying; you are never going to buy Advan's package but you would like to ask questions because you're curious and want to understand more.

You also see the questions you're asking as providing a service to other people on the forum who may decide to buy the package from Advan based on reading the responses to your questions.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #69
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

JD75/Skycat, is there any reason why you think the OE thermostat pushes temperatures into the 120C. What would be the benefit BMW engineers were angling for with this? The reason I ask is, if the solution to better cooling is having the thermostats action point reduced, wouldn't this be the obvious thing for BMW to do first before sticking extra coolers in the 1M & BMWP Performance Pack?

I'm really concerned about the temps in my car while on the track which hit about 130 sometimes, but the engine ran perfectly well and seemed to be pulling hard as ever. The 120C mark is a mid point on the engine and it seems to love being at this temp. From your extensive experience, is there any benefit to running warmer?

Thanks.
      11-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #70
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #71
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
Get your facts correct before sprouting unfounded statements.
you might want to read my post again, particulary the bit "I am concerned a consistantly high (well high IMHO) of 120 Deg cannot be good for longevity or performance"
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #72
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Thanks, very interesting. basically 150 for oil before there's a problem. I guess if you are hitting those numbers more regular oil changes would be a good idea!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #73
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I try to avoid reading anything posted by you or when ever I see that retarded green avatar as it is usually always troll related crap
Really? I'm hurt
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #74
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #75
mcmn
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY10 AW 135i

If you're running more than 260kws it's liklely your running meth, this itself should keep the oil cool correct?

I need tyres before I'm doing any more modifications..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #76
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Very tempted to get in on this deal but haven't done any much research on oil coolers. Any thoughts? http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614008
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #77
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Very tempted to get in on this deal but haven't done any much research on oil coolers. Any thoughts? http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614008
At the risk of being flamed (yet again) can I ask what sort of oil temps you are seeing and do you track the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #78
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
At the risk of being flamed (yet again) can I ask what sort of oil temps you are seeing and do you track the car?
I consistently run around 115-120 degrees. If I'm on it all the time it gets up around 125 but if I take it easy for the next few km's it gets down to 120 fairly quickly. I don't recall it ever hitting 130 though.

I plan to keep the car long term and it gets really warm here so the goal is preventing any long damage from consistent high oil temps.

I think the dual core may be an overkill. Which oil cooler is the best from the research you have done?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #79
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

I think what kills circuit cars is heat and RPMs. I would do everything possible to remove heat from the system: upgraded radiator, an oil system like ERs with the dual cores. Maybe even tranny/diff cooler too.

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #80
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
JD75/Skycat, is there any reason why you think the OE thermostat pushes temperatures into the 120C. What would be the benefit BMW engineers were angling for with this? The reason I ask is, if the solution to better cooling is having the thermostats action point reduced, wouldn't this be the obvious thing for BMW to do first before sticking extra coolers in the 1M & BMWP Performance Pack?

I'm really concerned about the temps in my car while on the track which hit about 130 sometimes, but the engine ran perfectly well and seemed to be pulling hard as ever. The 120C mark is a mid point on the engine and it seems to love being at this temp. From your extensive experience, is there any benefit to running warmer?

Thanks.
One benefit of BMW running high temps in these DI engines, that I've read elsewhere on this forum, is that it may help prevent carbon build up on the inlet valves & tract. I'm not sure of the validity of this though. Anyone else heard/read similar?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #81
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I think what kills circuit cars is heat and RPMs. I would do everything possible to remove heat from the system: upgraded radiator, an oil system like ERs with the dual cores. Maybe even tranny/diff cooler too.
Good advice Kenny. Do you think dual cores is an overkill though?

Quote:
Imagine that huh! ... temps at what it was designed to be at. Be interesting to see the oil temps of other cars that don't have oil temp gauges.

Where is it stated that 120 deg is too high and will damage the engine over time?
I think 120 deg is safe but I plan on doing more drag racing and track events next year. Plus it gets really warm here in Queensland and I have done a fair few km's, more than most on this forum as I've had the 135i almost 3 years now. I've never experienced limp mode from overheating but I'd like to have a better cooling system before I upgrade my twin snails
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #82
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
One benefit of BMW running high temps in these DI engines, that I've read elsewhere on this forum, is that it may help prevent carbon build up on the inlet valves & tract. I'm not sure of the validity of this though. Anyone else heard/read similar?
I'm not sure if this is true but I'm hoping my meth system is taking care of that problem for me
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #83
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Good advice Kenny. Do you think dual cores is an overkill though?

I think 120 deg is safe but I plan on doing more drag racing and track events next year. Plus it gets really warm here in Queensland and I have done a fair few km's, more than most on this forum as I've had the 135i almost 3 years now. I've never experienced limp mode from overheating but I'd like to have a better cooling system before I upgrade my twin snails
From the chat I had with Pete from Advan, he wasn't too concerned with 120 but had a BIG concern with the change interval. I get that bit!

What temps are you seeing on the strip, is that the 120+ you mention?

Remember BMW did not ship the N54 with an oil cooler to start with, so does that mean we should rip out the OEM unit?? The more I think about it and read from other members the bigger single unit where the stock one is sounds like the best compromise? I am keen to hear back from JD, who has the most worked N54 I have seen locally on OIL/WATER cooling.

I suspect I know the answer but he has done lots of development so he will know
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #84
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
+1... if big power is added like with your car, then definitely upgrade cooling systems.
I haven't been on the dyno since my meth system is now fully functional but I estimate anywhere between 260-280kw right now. I realistically average 120 deg but I would like to do anything that minimises stress on the engine. I'd also like to see some data on Advan's radiator and an estimated price point too. It looks the goods
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #85
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

I just had another look at Advan's radiator and the end tanks appear to have a smaller diameter.. not sure if this can be a good thing. Glad to see it's not made of plastic though!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #86
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Glad to see it's not made of plastic though!
Guaranteed never to rust
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 04:16 AM   #87
JD75
JDTuning
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive,G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Are you planning on replacing the stock oil cooler like the Stett kit you have or will this be an additional oil cooler in front of the radiator.
The OE cooler will be replaced with the new Setrab or Earl's core.

I would not wish to place a further flow restriction in front of the radiator.

It is worth noting that most guys who will buy this kit, are FBO.

As such they will already have a significantly larger intercooler installed in front of the radiator.

Installing a second component that further inhibits air flow through the rad' core is obviously not a good idea.

Last edited by JD75; 11-24-2011 at 04:17 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 04:48 AM   #88
JD75
JDTuning
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive,G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
JD

Thanks I appreciate the time to explain the setup, I was assuming the new thermostat was replacing the OEM unit, but I understand why the new adaptor plate is needed now.

Did you do the radiator AND oil cooler at the same time on your car, just wondering if you saw a difference in cooling between them? From an install timeframe do you have any idea how long this would take, just wondering if it's a day job or if its taxi time?
Hey Paul,

the PWR radiator was fitted just prior to the car entering the "Hot Tuner Shootout".

FYI,

the Stett oil cooler kit was the VERY FIRST MOD I bought for the vehicle.

This was for two reasons.

The first being that I considered it a key component given the "build" I had envisaged.

The latter was that excessive oil temps was very much a known problem on modded vehicles, due to the insufficient OE oil cooling system.

I had not upgraded the radiator previously, as I had not tracked the car as yet.

The Stett kit had done wonders for controlling oil temps whilst the car had spent countless hours on the dyno.

Pete has commented several times before that my car has the lowest sustained oil temp, of all the N54/N55 BMW's he has dynoed.

Which in itself is quite significant as my 1'er makes just a little more horsepower than most other 1 & 3 Series BMW's too.

Paul I suspect if you give Pete a bit of notice, he can knock the complete installation over in around 5 hours.

Last edited by JD75; 11-24-2011 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0