BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-23-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
mrleisure
Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: Macan Turbo

Driving in the Tundra

Currently in North Dakota for another six months. We recently got slammed with snow and more is in the forecast this week. I have all seasons on, so they are a little better than summer tires. However, the cold is what gets me. With temperatures dropping into the negative digits nightly and sometimes the high not reaching zero degrees during the days, this place is difficult to survive. I only drive my car once the roads are clear enough. So today after the plows had been around, I went out. Obviously a little difficult because the roads are still covered in most areas. I credit a lot of my driving skill to growing up in New Hampshire where driving in large amounts of snow is a regular thing in the winter.

I couldn't help but notice people today while I was running errands around town. I caught a lot of people looking at me and one guy even asked me how my car did in winter. This is a town where 90% of the cars are GM and 90% of those are trucks and SUVs. So to even have a BMW here is uncommon. I kind of enjoyed showing people that there HUGE trucks aren't necessary and that you can still putt around town if you take your time in your RWD coupe. The only negative being that if it is snowing/sleeting, you cannot go out. Not even worth trying. Just thought I'd share since I know many of you live in warmer climates and get to enjoy clear roads most of the year.

A couple of pictures from tonight. Cell phone quality.

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
crew09
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540 xdrive

Garage List
you should definitely get some snow tires if you're going to be there another 6 months, they're the only way i trust myself to drive during the winter in massachusetts

i definitely understand the cold getting old though, i always need to get out to somewhere sunny/ warm during the winter for a break
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Definitely put on a good set of snows (I recommend Dunlop Wintersport 3D). To get out of my complex there is a large gradual hill with speed bumps that I must slow for and my 135 grinds up that hill without issue with the snows. I was very impressed last year.

Oh, and tint those windows!

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

yeah, at the temperatures you're seeing, the tire compound on all seasons is useless.

I'd sprig for the winters as well.... I did, and my car won't even see the really cold temperatures as i'll be putting it away before there's much snow at all...

The all season compounds are basically as bad as summer tires when the temperatures get to about 10-15F or less. If you're seeing temps of 0, i would pick up some winters.

we see the odd days below about -5F here in southern Ontario, and i can tell you from experience, I would take winters any day of the week over all seasons. I've run both at that temperature, and i wouldn't think twice about getting winters.

And in Canada, above a certain latitude (which is still slightly lower then the canada/US border) we are allowed studded tires. Sadly, i wish they were leagal where i am, but can't have everything... I'd probably have too much fun with the studs anyhow...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
mrleisure
Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: Macan Turbo

Thanks for the comments and recommendations. I'll look into the winter tires more! I have an SUV to use most of the time - thanks to my girlfriend. And thankfully I only live 1/2 mile from work. But for those few times I do go out in the car, it would make sense to be safest.

Oh, and as for the tint. I have been wanting to, but kind of waiting where I will end up in six months before I go and tint (just to be in compliance with state tint laws.) As of right now, it looks like I'll be in Oregon which is where my family now lives.
Appreciate 0