BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #67
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

A few reasons, but the one im gonna toss out, is i have not seen an 1er TV commercial since the 2008 Olympics......WTF BMW
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #68
135GCL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotshooter View Post
Part of the 135 appeal (to me) is the rarity of it. Seattle is a big BMW town, but I don't see many 135's around. I like that.

I see more M3's than 1 series cars.
In Los Angeles and rarely see 1's on the road (freeway and street) maybe once a week and a 128 at that and even more rare a modded one, the only place i see a lot of 1's are at the dealership that is near my house
      09-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #69
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferanne View Post
Some chicks dig the car so much that they drive one!

Rawhide, I'm in KC too. I've had my car since the beginning of July, and I have never seen another 1 series on the road in KC.

Well I can imagine the 1er would work the other way too, instead of soft music and low revs you can just floor it a few times and the guys will never leave your side.

Yup very rare in this area... I'd say I see on average one every 6 weeks or so. I did see two in one day once though, thought surely I was going crazy. Funny considering I can't swing a cat around without hitting a 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #70
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

I've actually noticed a recent uptick in 1 spottings in the last couple months here in Phoenix. Most are still 128's but I have also seen more 35's.
And while I think it's good to see more 1's on the road, it's also a little dissapointing. I always liked the idea of driving a somewhat unique car. Especially in a city where you can't spit without hitting a 3, 5 or 7 series.
And for you people still saying the 1 is ugly, I don't get it. I know it's subjective, but I think the looks are stunning. And the comments I have recieved on it are all extremely positive. Seems it's only the haters that still say negative things about the looks.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #71
dragon1761
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i SGM 08; 328i AW 14

if you notice, most poeple on the market buy 2nd hand used cars bc they want to floss but dont have the $$$. Due to the fact that the 1 series has been out for just 2 yrs people are starting to get those used toys from end of lease programs or just people that give up bc of HPFP failures.

Other reason is cost, like you said its not a cheap toy its similiar to the cost of a 3 series sedan. Alot of people that drives a BMW have families where it is impractical to drive 2 door.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #72
DarkRider23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 201 335i xDrive

Other than my neighbor's 1'er, I don't see any others around here ever and I'm in one of the most populated areas in the U.S. Northern NJ... I think it's more so because the 1-series is a car more aimed at younger guys that don't have the money to buy one or enthusiasts that want a car that BMW is all about. Fast, light (well, lighter than the 335i) and handles extremely well. I initially hated the 1-series because of the front end, but it's grown on me. I think it might be my next car to be honest .
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #73
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
There's only 1 other 1-series in my town. An older lady that drives a 128i vert... she always gives me the nod when we cross paths.

So far I've had, 2 5-series owners, 3 7-series owners, a Vette owner, and more 3-series owners than I can count compliment me. I even had one guy say "You know I have hated everything BMW has produced in the last 5 years but this car is AWESOME! It's like a mini-M3" ... and I have to agree. I shopped the 3 series but decided against it because there are a million of them and to get all the "toys" you have to drop $50k or more, and after having some 3-series loaners its just not worth $50k IMO. You can call me crazy but I'd barely pay $50k for an M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #74
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post
There's only 1 other 1-series in my town. An older lady that drives a 128i vert... she always gives me the nod when we cross paths.
Come to my part of town. I live by SMU, and see probably half a dozen 1ers every day. My wife's 135i coupe of course, a 128i coupe a block away, and usually a coupe or two and at least two or three 'verts.

Now for rare, that's where the M Coupe comes in handy.

Not to be a dick, but I'd bet your car is actually Monaco Blue.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #75
subscience
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I've been seeing a lot more 135s lately with the 2010 update. For a year or so, I saw one or two total. I see one every couple of days now. There's someone in my building with an identical jet black 135 too.

08 jet black 135i | sport, 6-mt
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #76
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

People don't buy the 1 because:

1. Controversial styling

-I personally think the car looks great, but the front end is sort of ugly at some angles

2. For the almost same price, you can get a 3-series sedan

-more practical, "prestigious", longer track record
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #77
tm30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

I live in the Chicago area, and I've seen exactly two 135's and two 128's (one was vert) in the year I've been on the road with my 128.

I've not gotten any looks/approaches. The people at the BMW service shop seem to be the most impressed with it. I think they get tired of servicing 3's and 5's and when I roll in with the 128, they're always saying, "man this is a great car," and not in a patronizing way...

I like the scarcity, but I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't seem to be turning any heads around here. On the other hand, my wife has a colleague at work who is just bonkers for Mustangs, and she let him drive the 1'er, and he absolutely cannot wait for another chance to drive it again. Thought it was spectacular... so I agree with most here who think that if a sizable number of people actually test drove these suckers, the sales would begin going up.
      09-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #78
228iconvert
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i x drive convert

I like it this way! I have had 3 BMW 3-series in the past, 2 coupes and a convertible. And I got away from BMW for a while going to Lexus and Audi because I hated that the 3 series was a ME TOO car! So when the 1 series came out and I notice that no one had them. It got my attention! Then after seeing what this car can do it was a very well kept secret! So let's keep it that way! I want the one all to myself!!!!!
      09-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #79
228iconvert
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i x drive convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1761 View Post
if you notice, most poeple on the market buy 2nd hand used cars bc they want to floss but dont have the $$$. Due to the fact that the 1 series has been out for just 2 yrs people are starting to get those used toys from end of lease programs or just people that give up bc of HPFP failures.

Other reason is cost, like you said its not a cheap toy its similiar to the cost of a 3 series sedan. Alot of people that drives a BMW have families where it is impractical to drive 2 door.
Yeah well I am a family man and I said screw it and got the 135i! It was just too good of a car to pass up! So I deal with having a 2 door with two kids. The good thing is the kids are small still so that back seat is enough for them. When they get older well then I might have a problem. But for now I am loving life with this car!
      09-30-2010, 07:54 PM   #80
Quick135
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135  [7.76]
I had my heart set on a 335i when I decided I just couldn't swing an M. I drove 4 335s and was all set to pull the trigger on a coupe with 9K miles. Then I was shown the 135i with M-Sport package. At first I admit I scoffed at it because of it's pint-size. But I also recognized that the car had a mean side to it. I took it for a drive on the same 'circuit' (a back street with lots of turns and a long straight away) as I did the 335s and thats all it took. I was hooked on it. I drove it around the 'circuit' 3 more times just to make sure it wasn't some fluke. I then drove the 335 coupe again thinking perhaps my butt memory was off and the ride was not the way I remembered.

I went back and wrote the check out for the 135i on the spot and never looked back.

Since then the car continues to grow on me. No one knows what they are (nor has ANY clue of the power that even a stock 135i possesses), you never see any other 135s driving around and it gets the head looks. I live in a small city of about 50K and Im the only 135 driving around while 328s and 335s are every where.

This is just one of those cars that people may be apprehensive about while they are standing in the parking lot looking at it, but you get their butt in the passenger seat and take them on a real ride and they never look at the car the same way again.

I didn't set out looking for the 135i but it certainly found its way to me. Its the...one.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 09:51 PM   #81
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

when i see a 3 coupe coming down the road at me, sometimes i mistake it for a milisecond as a 1 series. but then i look how much the body goes out the sides compared to the headlights then think "wow, i'm dumb... how did i mistake that...."

when i'm driving around, the BMWs that always go sailing by are the 328s. and as they go by, i never see tint or leather. People are just buying it so they can say they have a "3 series BMW" it's like owning a Mac computer. Most people get it just so they can say they have it. My sister got the first year X3 against all my pleading for her not to. everything is the bare minimum in that car, she chose it over better cars. She bought it because it was a BMW and it went with her Mac computer and parks it in a Loft downtown toronto where she paid the same amount for a 1 bedroom condo that my other sister paid for a nice 2 story house out of town.

This to me is what most BMW owners are (not so much the people on the forums as they are car enthusiasts)

The 1 is something nobody knows of. I still see confusion in peoples faces about it after it's been out for 3 years.

I find more of the old school BMW owners know what the car is.

BMW is to blame, their car is a jem, and they could easily increase the production numbers and drop the price tag a tiny bit and make a lot of money on the car, and then do more advertising. But i for one hope they don't.

I just drove about 1500 miles in the last 2 days, and i can safely say, i think i only saw 2 other 1 series cars on my trip.

And cars i test drove before the 1er were, STi, Evo, Genesis, and S4 (mostly the S4 was curiosity) I used to own a WRX with close to 500hp so subaru had that in it's favour. But when i got into the 1, everything just fell into place and i felt at home.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #82
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
when i see a 3 coupe coming down the road at me, sometimes i mistake it for a milisecond as a 1 series. but then i look how much the body goes out the sides compared to the headlights then think "wow, i'm dumb... how did i mistake that...."

when i'm driving around, the BMWs that always go sailing by are the 328s. and as they go by, i never see tint or leather. People are just buying it so they can say they have a "3 series BMW" it's like owning a Mac computer. Most people get it just so they can say they have it. My sister got the first year X3 against all my pleading for her not to. everything is the bare minimum in that car, she chose it over better cars. She bought it because it was a BMW and it went with her Mac computer and parks it in a Loft downtown toronto where she paid the same amount for a 1 bedroom condo that my other sister paid for a nice 2 story house out of town.

This to me is what most BMW owners are (not so much the people on the forums as they are car enthusiasts)

The 1 is something nobody knows of. I still see confusion in peoples faces about it after it's been out for 3 years.

I find more of the old school BMW owners know what the car is.

BMW is to blame, their car is a jem, and they could easily increase the production numbers and drop the price tag a tiny bit and make a lot of money on the car, and then do more advertising. But i for one hope they don't.

I just drove about 1500 miles in the last 2 days, and i can safely say, i think i only saw 2 other 1 series cars on my trip.

And cars i test drove before the 1er were, STi, Evo, Genesis, and S4 (mostly the S4 was curiosity) I used to own a WRX with close to 500hp so subaru had that in it's favour. But when i got into the 1, everything just fell into place and i felt at home.
So, a 328i with no tint and no leather means they bought a BMW just to say they have a BMW? That's pretty narrow minded.

The 328i happens to be a sweet BMW, regardless of some people who may buy it for the brand appeal. At least they picked a great brand that appealed to them.

And what does owning a BMW have anything to do with a Mac or any computer? How does an X3 go with a Mac? That's rhetorical btw.

It sounds like you are the one who is being snobbish about your 135i BMW brand automobile with it's tint and leather. My how special you are.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 10:22 PM   #83
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
So, a 328i with no tint and no leather means they bought a BMW just to say they have a BMW? That's pretty narrow minded.

The 328i happens to be a sweet BMW, regardless of some people who may buy it for the brand appeal. At least they picked a great brand that appealed to them.

And what does owning a BMW have anything to do with a Mac or any computer? How does an X3 go with a Mac? That's rhetorical btw.

It sounds like you are the one who is being snobbish about your 135i BMW brand automobile with it's tint and leather. My how special you are.
I just don't like people that buy cars as a fashion accessory.... but you're right, it is narrow minded because there are millions of people out there who like buying fashion accessories no matter the cost.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #84
woner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 LMB 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick135 View Post
I had my heart set on a 335i when I decided I just couldn't swing an M. I drove 4 335s and was all set to pull the trigger on a coupe with 9K miles. Then I was shown the 135i with M-Sport package. At first I admit I scoffed at it because of it's pint-size. But I also recognized that the car had a mean side to it. I took it for a drive on the same 'circuit' (a back street with lots of turns and a long straight away) as I did the 335s and thats all it took. I was hooked on it. I drove it around the 'circuit' 3 more times just to make sure it wasn't some fluke. I then drove the 335 coupe again thinking perhaps my butt memory was off and the ride was not the way I remembered.

I went back and wrote the check out for the 135i on the spot and never looked back.

Since then the car continues to grow on me. No one knows what they are (nor has ANY clue of the power that even a stock 135i possesses), you never see any other 135s driving around and it gets the head looks. I live in a small city of about 50K and Im the only 135 driving around while 328s and 335s are every where.

This is just one of those cars that people may be apprehensive about while they are standing in the parking lot looking at it, but you get their butt in the passenger seat and take them on a real ride and they never look at the car the same way again.

I didn't set out looking for the 135i but it certainly found its way to me. Its the...one.
This story sounds much like my own. The 3 series didn't fit me as well and wasn't as much fun to drive in my opinion. I also totally agree that most people know very little about our cars! One of my friends said "yeah it's quick, but not like a 3 series. Right?". Ofcourse, the lack of knowledge can also work in our favor. This is a conversation I had with a stranger at a drag strip:
Him: "Hey is that a new 3 series?"
Me: "No, it's a 135."
Him: "Woah! A 1 series?! I bet you dropped some money on that."

He acted like it was much more exclusive than a 3. He also asked if it had a v8. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #85
burger16b
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

This is why I want the 135I, I wanted a 335I but you see them everywhere. The 135I is not that popular so when anyone sees them its a sure head turnner. I dont want a car that everyone has.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #86
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
I don't care why but that it remains that way for as long as possible. I like driving a rare good looking cool car!!

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #87
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post

Correction.

Leatherette w/ Auto, no Sport Package and no tint.

I'd so drive a manual 328i w/ just sport tho lol
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #88
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

I guess it depends on where you live. For about a year after I got mine, I saw maybe 1 other 1-series car.
Nowadays they're everywhere in Atlanta, but more common in the city than out in the suburbs (I used to live in the burbs but moved in town when I got married).
Most of them are 128i's, but today at the gym there were two other 135i's parked in the lot.

Of course now I have a 335d on order, so once I'm in a 3-series there goes any semblance of "exclusivity" I had. But then again there aren't a whole lot of diesels around either.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0