BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-14-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
tristantumble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 340xi msport 6MT, MPPk

128 vs audi A3 impressions.

We recently bought a 128i, and i've been more then happy with this decision. The car was never on our radar, but someone recommended we test drive one, and we fell in love with it from that point on. The looks took a little longer, but now I can say i really do love every aspect of the car.

Yesterday i drove my sisters A3, and the differences between the two cars where amazing. The steering felt so much looser in the Audi, and so did the gear changes (manual). The only part I still preferred the A3 was in acceleration. Even tough it has less HP, the turbo engine makes lot of Torque down low, and it feels like it has more go.

With that aside, yesterdays drive really showed me the differences between these cars, and solidified my decision to get the Beemer.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
plasar
plasar
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Vert

Garage List
Thumbs up

Appreciate the review Tristantumble.

I see a lot of new A3 convertibles here in Johannesburg, and I have to admit, they look stunning, especially in white. Audi does the LED headlights and taillights really well.

Glad to hear BMW still has them on driving dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4, X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

No doubt the BMW is the better 'driver'. The audi may very well be able to keep up, but it's a completely different experience. The weight balance is all off with the motor sitting out so far in front. The advantage of the audi is the extra room in the hatch and the available awd for bad weather. Plus just like the 335 guys, a 500 dollar tune and she can make enough power to make it not only feel as fast as your car, but actually be as fast...maybe faster.

I do still prefer the materials in the audi cabin, they are definitely nicer inside, and I agree the lighting stuff they are doing is pretty sharp; however, I too will take the BMW driving experience.
      11-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Hexley
Can't Stop Lovin' Blue
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i Coupe

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Having driven my 128i and 2 Audi A4s (2000 and 2003 Model Year ones) I'd give the interior/lighting design edge to Audi- it's a beautiful cabin and quite gorgeous. That being said, for me, the BMW is much more fun to drive. It's a driver's car to the letter.
      11-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
gnat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Wishing for an e30iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexley View Post
I'd give the interior/lighting design edge to Audi- it's a beautiful cabin and quite gorgeous.
I really want to love Audi cars, but I just can't force myself to do it. I agree their interior looks better aesthetically, but BMW has them beat in function. It's the little things that kill them and they seem to have no idea or not see it as an issue.

My wife looked at the A3 and A4 (she liked the A4 as a loaner when the 996 was at the dealer) when she ended up getting her 07 e90. The three big things (for us) are still true now when I've been looking at the A3 (I really want the TDI).

The first is that you can't get a power passenger seat, it's minor but in a "luxury" brand it is unacceptable in our opinion to have half power and half manual. On top of that, their manual adjustments suck compared to BMWs (I would actually take the manual seats in a 1).

The second (in the A3 anyway, can't remember about the A4) is the center arm rest. They have it on a ratchet mechanism so that you can raise it up to your own height and it stays there. That sounds nice in theory, but in practice engaging the parking break causes it to raise a couple of notches which you then can't push back down without raising it all the way first. It's just annoying and pisses me off every time I get in one.

And on the A3, if you don't get the AWD model (which they don't offer for the TDI) you are stuck with a FWD. I don't think I need to harp about that here

Oh and one more thing, it's still just a CrapWagen when you take the badges away
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
I<3BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

I had a chance to drive the 2011 X3 and both the Audi Q5 turbo and non turbo, Lexus
RX350 and Mercedes GLK on 3 seperate tracks at the BMW PC 2 weeks ago. The overall handling and performance of the BMW really seperated it from the competition. I know it's not the vehicles you're talking about, but they do come from the same heritage.
I just bought a 128 becuase of the great deal I got but have fallen in love with the way it drives.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
mshahidz
Major
Rep
Drives: M4, 991 GT3

My dad has an A3 for work. Ever since he got it, i have hated audi. I will even go so far as to say i wouldnt buy an R8. Dislike everything about them.
      11-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnat View Post
And on the A3, if you don't get the AWD model (which they don't offer for the TDI) you are stuck with a FWD. I don't think I need to harp about that here
That's funny because I thought the exact same thing when I looked at an A3. Audi has everything to make the A3 a great car for me: AWD, diesel, and manual transmission. But you can't get those three things together for on an American spec car. In fact, you can't even get two of the three together. It's just irritating.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
fugly1
Rep
Drives: Douchebagmobile

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
The A3 is a great car...

The A3 was a fun and wonderful car for the time I had it--it was taken from me before its time (totaled in an accident, also a very safe car btw). I had the FWD drive version, but was considering the AWD version and the A5 as a replacement before I accidentally drove the 135. The 2.0T engine is great and is excellent on gas mileage, too. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the AWD A3--the power of the 135 was just too seductive. I was lucky and my car only went to the dealer twice for minor repairs (both covered under warranty) in the 49,000 miles I had it. When the 135 reaches 49,000 miles, I am sure the A3 will have proven to be the more reliable car.

I also think Audi's exterior and interior design is much better than BMW's, but, of course, any opinion on aesthetics is merely subjective.

All business on the outside, party on the inside.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
gnat
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderz17 View Post
Audi has everything to make the A3 a great car for me: AWD, diesel, and manual transmission. But you can't get those three things together for on an American spec car.
I would have had a 335d when they came out except for the exact same problem (lack of xDrive and coupled to the STEP), though you can at least get the MT and AWD if you're willing to give up diesel (I wasn't since we already have an e90 sedan).
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #11
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

IMHO I disagree that A3 interior's is superior because:

1) Despite being somewhat toned-down A3 still has too many tacky silver/chrome accents (I prefer austere and driver-oriented cockpits with no distracting colors or accents even if they're made of good quality materials). I didn't drive A3 but I test-drove its close cousin: VW GTI and I felt like being inside some kind of audio-system (sure it was classy and high-tech but I want a driver-oriented cockpit not entertainment center).

2) If you remove the badge from the steering wheel in A3, it doesn't immediately spring to mind that this car is an Audi. On the other hand BMW interior is eminently recognizable because it is so characteristic across the entire model range and even going back to earlier models. No other car maker does it so well as BMW and in my opinion it matters.

3) BMW has nice orange illumination for the gauges and buttons in the dashboard. Sure it has been there for years but it is still the best: sharp and easy-to-read, no stupid afterglow plus it reminds me of being inside a Tie-Fighter Enough said.

I intend to keep my 128i with SP for a longtime, Bavarian car is just like Bavarian beer: really hard to improve upon.

Last edited by Wheelwright; 11-14-2010 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #12
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

The 1-series interior is best described as a leather jacket. It's understated, focused and fits like a snug glove.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #13
bbbradley
Resident Alien
Rep
Drives: A4 for now, Miata for fun!

A3 is better looking interior and exterior and far more practical, I suspect the 1-series might offer a better driving experience, but it is probably a toss-up. The (major) downside is the FWD/manual or AWD/automatic bundling Audi forces upon buyers. It is what keeps the A3 at the bottom of the list.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #14
I<3BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbradley View Post
I suspect the 1-series might offer a better driving experience
You suspect right sir!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #15
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnat View Post
I really want to love Audi cars, but I just can't force myself to do it. I agree their interior looks better aesthetically, but BMW has them beat in function. It's the little things that kill them and they seem to have no idea or not see it as an issue.

My wife looked at the A3 and A4 (she liked the A4 as a loaner when the 996 was at the dealer) when she ended up getting her 07 e90. The three big things (for us) are still true now when I've been looking at the A3 (I really want the TDI).

The first is that you can't get a power passenger seat, it's minor but in a "luxury" brand it is unacceptable in our opinion to have half power and half manual. On top of that, their manual adjustments suck compared to BMWs (I would actually take the manual seats in a 1).

The second (in the A3 anyway, can't remember about the A4) is the center arm rest. They have it on a ratchet mechanism so that you can raise it up to your own height and it stays there. That sounds nice in theory, but in practice engaging the parking break causes it to raise a couple of notches which you then can't push back down without raising it all the way first. It's just annoying and pisses me off every time I get in one.

Oh and one more thing, it's still just a CrapWagen when you take the badges away
Power passenger seats are available on the A4.
If they aren't available on the A3 that is stupid.

The arm rest is MUCH better in the Audi than in my 135i. The 1 doesn't have any adjustment and that plain sucks.
Not having an adjustable arm rest in a near luxury car is ridiculous. It don't cost much.
Some people have complained about the parking brake arm hitting the arm rest. It does. But really it's not that big of an issue. You simply lift up and then put it where you want. Takes a couple of seconds on start up.
At least you can then adjust it.

I find the A3 to cost too much for what you get. Hopefully Audi will fix some things on the next version, just like I hope BMW fixes some things on the 1 series.
Quattro performance is what makes an Audi. The FWD versions are just nice near lux commuter cars. Quattro with sport suspension transforms the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #16
gnat
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Power passenger seats are available on the A4.
If they aren't available on the A3 that is stupid.
If it's on the A4, that's new since she looked (I want a small toy car so the A4 isn't on my radar). The A3 as of 2 months ago still didn't have a power passenger option.

Quote:
The arm rest is MUCH better in the Audi than in my 135i.
We will just have to disagree here

Quote:
The 1 doesn't have any adjustment and that plain sucks.
In principle I agree with you so long as it's done right which it's not in the Audi.

Quote:
You simply lift up and then put it where you want. Takes a couple of seconds on start up.
Every time you get in the car. If I'm paying 30+ for a car (hell 20+), I don't want it to annoy me every time I get in it. My business is process automation and making life simpler, so something like this really grates on me.

Quote:
Hopefully Audi will fix some things on the next version, just like I hope BMW fixes some things on the 1 series.
I hope so too, but this is 2 revisions of the A3 that have had these annoyances so I'm not holding my breath. And yes, BMW is far from perfect themselves, it just comes down to personal preference.

Quote:
Quattro with sport suspension transforms the car.
I haven't driven a Quattro in a manner to test it out, but when BMW finally puts xDrive into the 1 I'm likely to have a bit of a "crisis"
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #17
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

I can easily argue that my 1er is as big if not bigger than A3 in terms of usable space when the seats fold down.

You need to see my car packed for a track weekend
      11-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #18
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

A3 without quattro, id rather get a GTi, IMO better looking, and more bang for buck.
      11-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #19
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

I test drive the A3 in both renditions 2.0 turbo and 3.2 dsg, because I liked the look of the little wagon. But I bought the 1 series because it is unique and out of the box, it handles better and just seems to work better.

On the 128, I would do the PE intake and exhaust, and get a set of very light, forged rims for summer with non-run flat high performance tires. In that configuration, the car is even better. I am doing the KW suspension on mine, but that's just me, I have changed the suspension on of the last five BMWs, and didn't change the Z3 coupe suspension (which was ridiculously soft, but still much better than a normal car) because I was too lazy to bother.

I want to like Audi, but they just don't quite make a driver's car. Have not driven an R8, but I would bet one I'd rather drive the Lambo gallardo, or maybe a Boxster spyder. Enjoy the BMW, I think you made the right choice!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #20
bbbradley
Resident Alien
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post
I can easily argue that my 1er is as big if not bigger than A3 in terms of usable space when the seats fold down.
The published specs disagree with that (86 ft^3 vs 89 ft^3), regardless you can't argue that 4 doors (5 if you count the HB) make for a more user-friendly cargo carrying vehicle.

The 128 has the driving dynamics, the A3 has the packaging.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 07:48 AM   #21
bbbradley
Resident Alien
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
A3 without quattro, id rather get a GTi, IMO better looking, and more bang for buck.
A3 w/o Quattro is...silly. At least where I live.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #22
fugly1
Rep
Drives: Douchebagmobile

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post

You need to see my car packed for a track weekend
I am sure you could easily argue this, but that wouldn't mean you are making a valid argument with sound statements. Sorry--the A3 has the 1er beat in terms of usable storage space.

All business on the outside, party on the inside.
Appreciate 0