E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Break-In RPM

10-04-2005, 02:20 PM   #1
nrg09
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: honda& proud of it

Break-In RPM

Everyone says people should watch their RPM's during break-in period, but what happens if you just don't care about RPM and blast your BMW down the road? What are the true risks of not being careful during the break-in period? Is it kind of like the myth of how cell phone manufacturers tell you to charge your phone for at least 24 hrs before you use it; even though few people actually do this....

Click here to view the most horrific mod and most hilarious thread ever!!

|O /\/\ \rrrr/
|O/rrrr\ \/\/
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 02:26 PM   #2
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

If you do decide to blast through the RPMs, make sure your car is atleast warmed up. I think there's an alternative theory to the break-in method, which tells you to occasionally redline your rpms to make the seals set in better or something. Otherwise, I'd just stay under the 4,500RPMs mark just to be safe.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 02:49 PM   #3
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
I think if you blast your bimmer before the virgin period will just need to change oil sooner...but who knows
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 03:19 PM   #4
ga-bmwdrvr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 320i, E90 330i

At about 800 miles I redlined my 330 and so far so good. Kind of a funny story. I pulled into the main street with no cars in front of me and a Ford F150 WAY back. As I pulled in I notice the truck coming at me very fast trying to get on my tail (must have been mad at me for pulling in front of him a block away. Anyway, I floored it (Steptronic on D mode) get pushed into my seat and watch the revs go to 7K before it shifts. I'm thinking "Oh crap..." I look in the rear view mirror and see a very small F150 in the mirror. I swear the guy had his mouth open! This car accelerates very fast even with the auto. I am at 1500 miles now and have been very careful not to do it again. (at least not for the next 500 miles)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 03:28 PM   #5
selm
Fight On!
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Try to adhere to the 4500 as you never want them to question some sort of warranty claim. If you go over a few times to avoid trouble, no big deal. Make sure the engine is warm and vary your engine speeds. Realistically probably nothing will happen, but those paid engineers came up with it for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 03:28 PM   #6
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg09
but what happens if you just don't care about RPM and blast your BMW down the road? What are the true risks of not being careful during the break-in period?
well, some engine parts need to mate/seat properly over a relatively short time - like rings etc. as we know the car is very mechanical and too harsh a treatment in the beginning may lead to problems a little later on.

then again, i don't think many people will question bmw's directive concerning the break in period so not too many people really know what would happen if you drove the car aggressively from the get go.

i would suspect a higher likelyhood of a speeding ticket or 2 would be one result.

bmw protect their engines so no doubt they have measures in place for such drivers. then again do you really want to risk such an expensive car? not me. so if you are game with your new car, let us know how it holds up.

good luck with it.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 03:53 PM   #7
RodyP
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 19 Bmw M5 Competition

when i got my car, i just let it warm up, after that i just hit the gas... the first night i drove 220 with it and i got no problems yet... altough i had to change the oil at 8.000 km's

rody
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 04:19 PM   #8
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR3, again...

Yes, there could be a serious failure if you do not adhere to the break-in. But, more likely to happen, you will see longevity and overall performance impacted.

There have been other threads discussing this, but there are a couple schools of thought on break in. Some adhere to the advice of BMW engineers, others believe to break-in through-out the RPM range, and others still do not believe in break in at all. The latter usually do not have the experience of the engineers though.

I believe a part of the break-in period is also you getting used to the nuances of your new car.

It has been my expereince that a smooth break-in throughout the RPM range (even to redline) provide a better seating of moving parts resulting in a better seal, more reliability and more HP. Just my .02. Remember though, it's your $40K car you are playing with.
      10-04-2005, 05:52 PM   #9
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I can understand people wanting to be cautious, but the dealership (Beverly Hills BMW) assured me there are NO Break - In limitations on this car, other than varying RPM's.

But as far as I'm concerned, my car is a 3 year lease with full maintainence coverage... So BURN, BABY, BURN!!!
      10-04-2005, 06:21 PM   #10
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmosblau
I can understand people wanting to be cautious, but the dealership (Beverly Hills BMW) assured me there are NO Break - In limitations on this car, other than varying RPM's.
Beverly Hills BMW must know more than BMW the manufacturer...

I still rather trust my manual over a dealership, there are some stories of the dealers lack of knowledge in general.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 06:39 PM   #11
billgti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

Quote:

But as far as I'm concerned, my car is a 3 year lease with full maintainence coverage... So BURN, BABY, BURN!!!
it still amazes me how people listen to everything the dealer says. most salesman and even some service guys will give u an answer even tho they are not sure about it. they just want to pretend they are experts but in reality, a lot of them know less about the car than the average e90 poster.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 06:42 PM   #12
cosmosblau
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by billgti
it still amazes me how people listen to everything the dealer says. most salesman and even some service guys will give u an answer even tho they are not sure about it. they just want to pretend they are experts but in reality, a lot of them know less about the car than the average e90 poster.

I'm not saying that I believe anything the dealer says.
What I'm saying is: I don't care.
      10-04-2005, 06:48 PM   #13
etherbored
klactoveesedstene
Rep
Drives: das gut

first of all, the original poster drives a honda...
second of all, please cruise over to bimmerfest where a board member had his M3 totaled by *beverly hills BMW* while it was in for an oil change.
-e-

Last edited by etherbored; 10-07-2005 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 07:26 PM   #14
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR3, again...

Quote:

My dealer said the same thing... I had asked when I had taken delivery. When I got home and read the manual, of course it's got a break in period.

I know exactly where you are coming from cosmosblau, you have no worries. You aren't keeping the car for the long run and if anything does happen, it's covered by warranty. Why Bother?

Let's just hope there is no "blackbox" info stored when the engine burns up at 30K...

Wouldn't that suck if they came back and said "Well, back in September of 2005 I see you were doing 5000RPM's when you only had 850 miles on the car... You caused this sir. You failed to... Blah Blah Blah Lawyer b.s."
      10-04-2005, 07:48 PM   #15
cosmosblau
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petercat
....Wouldn't that suck if they came back and said "Well, back in September of 2005 I see you were doing 5000RPM's when you only had 850 miles on the car... You caused this sir. You failed to... Blah Blah Blah Lawyer b.s."

The language in the manual is along the lines of "Try to avoid" as opposed to "Do Not". The only thing it commands you to do is to obey posted speed limits. I bet we all eagerly follow that direction.

In California, and a few other states in the U.S. , it's against the law to use automotive "Black Box" info against a consumer.

This is my 4th BMW and I know they are designed to be driven HARD, so I'm not worried. I wouldn't deprive myself of any driving fun. Life is too short.
      10-04-2005, 07:58 PM   #16
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

Quote:
Yes, there could be a serious failure if you do not adhere to the break-in.
You have no proof to back this statement up.

Engine break-in procedures were necessary when milling tolerances, casting tolerances, shop hygiene and oil/filter technology were significantly retro compared to how things are done today. There was a time when manufacturing technology produced parts of such low tolerances that it was necessary to get parts to rub together in order to have them fit properly and there was also a time when crud was left in an engine at the factory. Those days are over; BMW's engine plants churn out parts that are within tolerance specifications that would blow anything made even a short as 10 years ago out of the water.

I believe engine break-in procedures exist as crusty leftovers in the owners manual on BMWs just because nobody has ever bothered to remove them. I bought an E36 M3 new and the E46 325 new and drove them like they were stolen off the lot from the first minute I had the keys. Neither one had a single engine hiccup and both cars turned 60k on the clock.

That being said, the precision of new motors are designed around parts at normal operating temperatures. NEVER rev your car when it's cold.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 07:59 PM   #17
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
The language in the manual is along the lines of "Try to avoid" as opposed to "Do Not". The only thing it commands you to do is to obey posted speed limits. I bet we all eagerly follow that direction.

In California, and a few other states in the U.S. , it's against the law to use automotive "Black Box" info against a consumer.

This is my 4th BMW and I know they are designed to be driven HARD, so I'm not worried. I wouldn't deprive myself of any driving fun. Life is too short.
Very well said, although I haven't gone over 4.5k rpm yet and I'm at 800 miles. I think I'll gradually take it to redline a couple of times before the break-in period is up.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 09:47 PM   #18
chrissal1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:

My dealer told me the same thing when I purchased my E46 in 2000. I drove it quite hard from the day I got it and never had any problems.

That said though, I will probably nurse my E90 for the first 1k miles because I don't know who to believe and I would rather play it safe.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 10:48 PM   #19
Macfreak7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330i MT

I put just under 1000 miles on my car in a week. But I babied it all the way..

I did not floor it (except once), never drove over 85, never went over 4.5 rpm. Then at about 950 miles i could feel the engine open up a little. It started to get more responsive within that RPM range and also I noticed that it started to sound slightly different.

Now I don't know if this is because i babied it or what, but go with the manual and break in your engine. Drive at varying speeds for a prolonged time and do not rev over 4.5. Once you reach 1300 miles, drive it like a race car (just make sure you warm it up first).
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2005, 11:12 PM   #20
RodyP
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 19 Bmw M5 Competition

i don't mind it either to drive it hard, if something happens it's just warranty...
the engine is build to preform....
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 09:00 PM   #21
bmwboy29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 325xi

Hey guys... I only have 70 mi on my baby and I wanted to know if I should go on the highway to work tomorrow? whats the limit of MPH that I should reach? I mean during this break in period?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2005, 09:16 PM   #22
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDriver
You have no proof to back this statement up.

Engine break-in procedures were necessary when milling tolerances, casting tolerances, shop hygiene and oil/filter technology were significantly retro compared to how things are done today. There was a time when manufacturing technology produced parts of such low tolerances that it was necessary to get parts to rub together in order to have them fit properly and there was also a time when crud was left in an engine at the factory. Those days are over; BMW's engine plants churn out parts that are within tolerance specifications that would blow anything made even a short as 10 years ago out of the water.

I believe engine break-in procedures exist as crusty leftovers in the owners manual on BMWs just because nobody has ever bothered to remove them. I bought an E36 M3 new and the E46 325 new and drove them like they were stolen off the lot from the first minute I had the keys. Neither one had a single engine hiccup and both cars turned 60k on the clock.

That being said, the precision of new motors are designed around parts at normal operating temperatures. NEVER rev your car when it's cold.
Where's your PROOF for your statement? Petercat said there "could be", last I checked, you don't need proof for that. For someone like YOU, why even bother wording your posts like this one with "...I believe engine break-in procedures exist as crusty leftovers in the owners manual on BMWs just because nobody has ever bothered to remove them..." YOU should say..."I KNOW FOR A FREAKIN' FACT engine break-in procedures exist as crusty leftovers in the owners manual on BMWs just because nobody has ever bothered to remove them..." Much better suited for you.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0