BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
N55_BBM
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

NYC parking tickets... thought it was illegal to receive 2 in under 24hr?

Went into the city to help my brother move in. Parked on East 65th street at a reasonable distance from the hydrant. I was 10 feet away (over a car's length), as was the car on the other side of the hydrant. Let's be serious, the 15 feet law really doesn't happen in NYC...

I got a ticket time stamped a half hour after I parked for $115 (WTF?!?!). Then I got a second one 19 hours later before I could even get to my car for the same exact thing at the same exact place, another $115. I mean what the hell there has to be something illegal with this. Everywhere else you're not allowed to be ticketed for the same violation at the same place twice in under 24h.. Or else in theory a cop could just stand right there and issue me tickets every 5 minutes under this reasoning...

I took pictures, sent in an appeal, told them how I got 2 tickets before I could even get to the car and it got denied.

WTF thinking of just not paying it and to hell with it. I was driving a rental by the way.. think it'll eventually catch up with me? I'm gonna be moving out of the country soon...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Well it could eventually mess with your credit...sucks. Can't see how anyone can drive there at all it's insane.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

I once used a toll way in the lane that reads the easy pass thingy. I forgot that I was in a rental.
Since they snap pictures of your license plate, they are able to send you the bill in the mail. There's normally a service charge of $1 on top of the $0.75 toll.
The rental company received that bill, added a $10 service fee on it and sent it to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
I once used a toll way in the lane that reads the easy pass thingy. I forgot that I was in a rental.
Since they snap pictures of your license plate, they are able to send you the bill in the mail. There's normally a service charge of $1 on top of the $0.75 toll.
The rental company received that bill, added a $10 service fee on it and sent it to me.
+1

charged me an additional fee a few weeks later.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

You can't really fight it, I don't think. It will go to collections and go straight onto your credit record. Regular cops in NYC will tell you they won't bother with most traffic/parking violations, but the traffic/parking guys are complete assholes.

A friend has a disabled permit for her car. She has MS and cannot walk very far. In NYC if you have disabled plates / permits, you get free parking at the metered spots. A regular cop wouldn't even think twice about not giving out tickets for this. The traffic cops do it all the time. Most times, the "offender" doesn't think it's worth it to try and fight the hundred dollar ticket and just ends up paying. She got a ticket. She had to FIGHT to get the ticket to go away. Shameful.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #6
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by miiipilot View Post
+1

charged me an additional fee a few weeks later.

Man.. my EZ pass BROKE. It ran out of battery and didn't work, and I had no idea when I went through the toll booth. They charged me for not paying. I wrote them a letter explaining that I have one, but their crappy EZ pass ran out of battery (it's a battery powered RFID) and they can't blame me for that since there's no way of knowing how long it's lasting.

They gave me a new EZ pass for "free" but still charged me some weird processing charge. WTF MAN

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 06:29 AM   #7
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

In DC, I believe the law says they can ticket you every 2 hours for the same offense if that's the law in NY, you actually got off easy!
      10-08-2011, 06:51 AM   #8
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Man.. my EZ pass BROKE. It ran out of battery and didn't work, and I had no idea when I went through the toll booth. They charged me for not paying. I wrote them a letter explaining that I have one, but their crappy EZ pass ran out of battery (it's a battery powered RFID) and they can't blame me for that since there's no way of knowing how long it's lasting.

They gave me a new EZ pass for "free" but still charged me some weird processing charge. WTF MAN

This happened to me. Except I got lucky. I was at one with a gate and the gate didnt open. I honked and got one of those cops to come over handed me a mail in. And I got charged a $25 service fee for the mailin from an EZPass lane. WTF!

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post

Holy retrograde, Batman. Battery operated EZPass that doesn't let you know when the battery is dead... Sounds like grounds for a class action law suit.

Over here they issue us a sticker with a metallic coil in the back to be placed on the windshield. Their proximity sensor, mounted 10 ft high is so good that even if someone tail gates you, both cars are correctly accounted for.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #10
listerone
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540d

illegal to get two in less than 24 hours? You're kidding,of course! There's no Easter Bunny and,in NYC at least,you can get 20 parking tickets in 24 hours.

OK...a little less sarcasm.I think there's a law (specific to NYC probably) that says if a violation goes uncorrected for a number of hours (2?) you can get another ticket.However I'm not 100% certain of this.
Formerly: 2009 335d
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
N55_BBM
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

Here in PA you can't get the same ticket for the same violation at the same place in a 24h period...

Since it was a rental, would it actually go to my credit? The car is registered to Hertz, they'd pass me the bill but ultimately wouldn't they be responsible for paying NYC parking authority?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #12
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N55_BBM View Post
The car is registered to Hertz, they'd pass me the bill but ultimately wouldn't they be responsible for paying NYC parking authority?
Read your rental agreement. I'm pretty sure Hertz's lawyers have written it in such a way as to absolve the company of your actions. Just pay the tickets and move on.
      10-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #13
mike06612
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 convertible

Hertz will get the tickets and pass them along to their ticket handling service, which will come after you. Hertz already has your credit card info, so they will just charge the tickets to that, and a pretty hefty administration fee for the two tickets they have to pass off to the traffic services company.

They can ticket you all day in New York, it's not at all unusual to see cars one ticket in the morning and five in the afternoon as you walk by.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 12:38 AM   #14
Bruck
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i MT Alpine White

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Just an FYI to you guys - if you get a legit violation that you're about to pay in full just to be done with it - always click "dispute this violation" first - it will then attempt to auto-settle with you for 60% of the original fine if you agree not to dispute. This is an awesome way to save 40% on all NYC parking tickets.

Shadow Blue MK6 GTI 4-Dr DSG
Euro OEM Reverse Camera |
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #15
tcd223
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 LeMans 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [7.00]
Quote:
Went into the city to help my brother move in. Parked on East 65th street at a reasonable distance from the hydrant. I was 10 feet away (over a car's length), as was the car on the other side of the hydrant. Let's be serious, the 15 feet law really doesn't happen in NYC...

I got a ticket time stamped a half hour after I parked for $115 (WTF?!?!). Then I got a second one 19 hours later before I could even get to my car for the same exact thing at the same exact place, another $115. I mean what the hell there has to be something illegal with this. Everywhere else you're not allowed to be ticketed for the same violation at the same place twice in under 24h.. Or else in theory a cop could just stand right there and issue me tickets every 5 minutes under this reasoning...

I took pictures, sent in an appeal, told them how I got 2 tickets before I could even get to the car and it got denied.

WTF thinking of just not paying it and to hell with it. I was driving a rental by the way.. think it'll eventually catch up with me? I'm gonna be moving out of the country soon...
NYPD is pretty serious about enforcing the hydrant laws. It is never worth parking near a hydrant even if you are close to the 15ft mark.

The only way to really deal with those tickets is to go to the DMV the day of the offense and you get to pay a little less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruck View Post
Just an FYI to you guys - if you get a legit violation that you're about to pay in full just to be done with it - always click "dispute this violation" first - it will then attempt to auto-settle with you for 60% of the original fine if you agree not to dispute. This is an awesome way to save 40% on all NYC parking tickets.
When was the last time you tried that? For the last two years, they haven't been budging at all with the fines whenever I've gotten parking tickets.

E82 Gone. 2013 JKUR on order
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #16
Bruck
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i MT Alpine White

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd223 View Post
NYPD is pretty serious about enforcing the hydrant laws. It is never worth parking near a hydrant even if you are close to the 15ft mark.

The only way to really deal with those tickets is to go to the DMV the day of the offense and you get to pay a little less.

When was the last time you tried that? For the last two years, they haven't been budging at all with the fines whenever I've gotten parking tickets.
This is part of the automated system. I "figured" this out less than 2 months ago when I was trying to legitimately dispute a ticket (which got dismissed) - I just realized after seeing the prompt to "settle" that anyone could just click "dispute" then "settle" and save 40% on the fine.

Shadow Blue MK6 GTI 4-Dr DSG
Euro OEM Reverse Camera |
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #17
tcd223
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 LeMans 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruck View Post
This is part of the automated system. I "figured" this out less than 2 months ago when I was trying to legitimately dispute a ticket (which got dismissed) - I just realized after seeing the prompt to "settle" that anyone could just click "dispute" then "settle" and save 40% on the fine.
thanks for the heads up, I'll have to give this a shot.

E82 Gone. 2013 JKUR on order
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #18
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd223 View Post
thanks for the heads up, I'll have to give this a shot.
You didnt know about that trick? Yeah it worked every time ive had to do it over the years.

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #19
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Here in PA you can't get the same ticket for the same violation at the same place in a 24h period...
I think you answered your own question... NYC or NY state as a whole does not fuck around when it comes to traffic or parking violations. PA is a whole different ballgame.

Quote:
Since it was a rental, would it actually go to my credit? The car is registered to Hertz, they'd pass me the bill but ultimately wouldn't they be responsible for paying NYC parking authority?
You're not going to get out of this. You will end up paying Hertz the fees. They go through this all the time.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0