BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #23
TheDeathDealer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceworkbavaria View Post
How so? It would be straight pipes. Plus you would only need one instead of two cutouts. The point is that the exhaust exits out the back so I don't get fumigated in the cabin...
You only need one cutout at the end of the down pipe with the N55, forgot the N54 doesn't connect until before the muffler (which is stupid, it just adds extra weight). If you are having a cutout installed you might as well have a custom catback made that is one single 3" pipe all the way back. That way you save a little weight, and only need one cutout. (just have a y pipe welded onto the end of the N54 downpipes)

PS: so what if fumes get in the cabin sitting at a red light with the cutout open? You hit a switch and it's closed again, no more exhaust smell. Just flip the switch again once you're going.

And again straight pipes sounds nothing like a cutout close to the engine. I run my GTOs 6.0 v8 straight piped (catted still). With the exhaust ending at the rear bumper vs 3ft shorter of pipe made a very big difference in how loud it was. If I put a cutout another ~4ft closer to the engine it would be insanely loud. My point, is if you put a cutout on the car you put it far enough forward to make a difference. Otherwise there is no point to having one, just get a custom exhaust made and have it straight piped with only maybe 1 cat left.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 08:50 PM   #24
e82bro
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Reviving this thread, has anyone done a cutout straight after downpipes instead of just before the muffler?
Appreciate 0