BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
LittleVik
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Black/Black

Angry 2009 128i - No Sound from Radio

So, I went to the gym today. On the way back, I stopped for a sandwich. I was playing with my iPhone on AIM, bluetooth turned off. I don't have bluetooth in my car, and I have the stock radio. I get out, turn car off, go get a sandwich. I get back in car while still on AIM with phone, and drive down the street. I notice that the radio is on but I have no sound, but I figured I'd just turned down the volume...

I attempt to turn up volume, nothing happens. I am on the iPod (dealer installed adapter), the radio responds to changes in playlists and such, but no sound. I try to switch over to tuner, won't let me. So, I unplug the iPod cable and everything, and the radio switches to tuner... But no damn sound still. Other than that, everything on radio looks normal. When I hook the iPod back up, it won't let me switch from it to the tuner, but other than that it is responsive to changes in songs and stuff.

Any ideas what the hell happened. Only had this car for a damn month... With this effort I could buy a damn Ford or GM...

Very annoyed.

PS - I only mention phone stuff because some people report this happenening due to Bluetooth, but I don't have that in my car, and it is turned off on my phone, but who the hell knows.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

This may or may not help...

If you have iDrive, are you sure the radio's volume control button has been pushed? (Button 1 on p. 150 of the iDrive owner's manual.)

The radio may be "on" with appropriate screen readout, but there will be no sound unless this button has been pushed in.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

It looks like the cause. The button is really easy to press accidently. I actually like the mite feature especially of phone isn't connected using BT.
      01-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Is there a mute button?

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 07:55 AM   #5
FunkyTown128
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I ran into the same type of problem one day getting in the car after work....everything worked, just no sound....VERY annoyed! I just turned everything off, took out FOB, waited for like a minute, turned car back on and everything came back on. Has only happened that one time, so I never took it in. Weird, I guess something in the "computer" had to reset.----Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
Séve
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i ZSP

This is really weird, but this same thing happened to me today when I was running some errands. I could change the stations, but I got no sound nor could I switch to a CD or the aux input. I turned the car off and restarted but still no sound. I don't have Bluetooth or iDrive on my '09 128 either.

I was very annoyed as well. I happened to be within a mile of my dealer, so I took it in. When the service adviser looked at it, it worked perfectly fine. Needless to say, I'm sure he thinks I'm quite an imbecile. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 06:31 AM   #7
EarlArlington
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyTown128 View Post
I ran into the same type of problem one day getting in the car after work....everything worked, just no sound....VERY annoyed! I just turned everything off, took out FOB, waited for like a minute, turned car back on and everything came back on. Has only happened that one time, so I never took it in. Weird, I guess something in the "computer" had to reset.----Hope that helps!
Same thing happened to me heading into my second week of ownership. I did everything you did and haven't had a problem since.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 08:38 AM   #8
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleVik View Post
I notice that the radio is on but I have no sound, but I figured I'd just turned down the volume...
happened to me this morning for the first time. hopefully just a one time thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleVik View Post
So, I went to the gym today. On the way back, I stopped for a sandwich. I was playing with my iPhone on AIM, bluetooth turned off. I don't have bluetooth in my car, and I have the stock radio. I get out, turn car off, go get a sandwich. I get back in car while still on AIM with phone, and drive down the street. I notice that the radio is on but I have no sound, but I figured I'd just turned down the volume...

Let's look at all the facts here. What kind of sandwich was it? Did you eat it in the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #10
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

Has happened to me twice.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #11
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannypoffo View Post
happened to me this morning for the first time. hopefully just a one time thing.
never happened again. just comes with owning a German car.. VW's have the same electrical glitches..
Appreciate 0