BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black on black 128i manual

I want dem sport seats!

I picked up a stripper 2012 128 manual with winter pkg and bluetooth. I loved it and thought it drove fantastic until all you car geeks say a 128 without sport is like a toyota, no dynamic. Ive owned few MINIs, FIAT, few AUDI TTs, nissan 350z and this 128 drives better than them all hands down. I test drove the 135 several times and didnt feel a "dramtic" difference, just a faster version of an already fast car. How many people actually drove a 128 non sport manual to compare, i bet very few? The 128 drivetrain is very balanced and powerful, I just dont see how it "drives bad" without sport bits but whatever...

Did a quick search and nothing great came up. Somewhere down the line if I wanted to upgrade suspension and seats what are some recommended options and associated costs? Also can i retrofit BMW seats and suspension that come in OEM sports package...cost?

Thanks!

Last edited by the1andonly; 01-07-2012 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
I'm just here wondering why you included the part where you picked up a stripper.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
I'm just here wondering why you included the part where you picked up a stripper.
the stripper didnt know the difference between a 128 and 135
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
2012_135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 6MT, M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonly View Post
I picked up a stripper 2012 128 manual with winter pkg and bluetooth. I loved it and thought it drove fantastic until all you car geeks say a 128 without sport is like a toyota, no dynamic. Ive owned few MINIs, FIAT, few AUDI TTs, nissan 350z and this 128 drives better than them all hands down. I test drove the 135 several times and didnt feel a "dramtic" difference, just a faster version of an already fast car. How many people actually drove a 128 non sport manual to compare, i bet very few? The 128 drivetrain is very balanced and powerful, I just dont see how it "drives bad" without sport bits but whatever...
Sounds to me like you don't have any issues with the car you bought, so enjoy it and forget what everyone else says. If you didn't feel any real difference after driving a 135i I'd say you're good to go as you are.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012_135i View Post
Sounds to me like you don't have any issues with the car you bought, so enjoy it and forget what everyone else says. If you didn't feel any real difference after driving a 135i I'd say you're good to go as you are.
well said!

so anybody have any recommendations on the aftermarket seats or suspension for a 128i?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 330i ZHP, N55 135i

I love the 128, personally.

And strippers.
      01-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
blf1
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

I drove both the 128cic and the 135cic fully loaded and decided on the 135cic. The sport bits make a huge difference. THe only thing Im not looking forward to is the time when I need new tires!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blf1 View Post
I drove both the 128cic and the 135cic fully loaded and decided on the 135cic. The sport bits make a huge difference. THe only thing Im not looking forward to is the time when I need new tires!
When you say "huge difference" you are talking about the seats and suspension, thats all? Im not interested in the shadow line trim that comes with the sport package, i prefer the chrome on a black BMW (see attached pict of my car). The 2012 128i comes with 17in sport wheels standard now and I can always upgrade the suspension if someone answers my original question lol. and the seats might be more supportive but doubt thats a deal breaker. please clarify what "huge difference" means?
Attached Images

Last edited by the1andonly; 01-10-2012 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 330i ZHP, N55 135i

Yes. Chrome on black does look nice.
      01-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I only got walnut trim and the sports package when I bought my 128i vert in 2009 - does that mean I picked up a stripper too?

Anyway, the firmer suspension is a + and - sort of thing. For DD duty, the vast majority of the time, the regular suspension is undoubtedly better. Hardly any chance to use the difference in daily driving, in other words. I did not like the non-sports seats. You slide around on them in hard cornering. I test drove a 128i non-sport and noticed this, I did not feel anything unacceptable about the suspension (but I was not pushing hard, it was a test drive). I do an autocross literally once a year and it probably makes some difference there. If you later decide you want to upgrade the suspension, BMW offers performance packages as do other vendors. You should reviews threads in the tecnical section/suspension section. You can easily put on a stiffer bar on the front and add one on the back plus put on different springs plus put on a plate that will allow substantial negative camber in front. You can do more than what the sport suspension does.

If you either want to spend what the dealer wants or find a wrecked car you can get parts from you can retrofit the sport seats. The side bolsters adjust in and out electrically (even with manual seats). This allows you to have them hug you into position so you don't slide. Very handy for any track work and I find them very comfortable for daily use. But you can't be real wide and fit. If you are above average width, you may want to try them first. Otherwise, I can't see why you wouldn't prefer the sports seats. I think there is a thread in the DIY section from somebody that changed to sport seats.

Jim
      01-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I only got walnut trim and the sports package when I bought my 128i vert in 2009 - does that mean I picked up a stripper too?

Anyway, the firmer suspension is a + and - sort of thing. For DD duty, the vast majority of the time, the regular suspension is undoubtedly better. Hardly any chance to use the difference in daily driving, in other words. I did not like the non-sports seats. You slide around on them in hard cornering. I test drove a 128i non-sport and noticed this, I did not feel anything unacceptable about the suspension (but I was not pushing hard, it was a test drive). I do an autocross literally once a year and it probably makes some difference there. If you later decide you want to upgrade the suspension, BMW offers performance packages as do other vendors. You should reviews threads in the tecnical section/suspension section. You can easily put on a stiffer bar on the front and add one on the back plus put on different springs plus put on a plate that will allow substantial negative camber in front. You can do more than what the sport suspension does.

If you either want to spend what the dealer wants or find a wrecked car you can get parts from you can retrofit the sport seats. The side bolsters adjust in and out electrically (even with manual seats). This allows you to have them hug you into position so you don't slide. Very handy for any track work and I find them very comfortable for daily use. But you can't be real wide and fit. If you are above average width, you may want to try them first. Otherwise, I can't see why you wouldn't prefer the sports seats. I think there is a thread in the DIY section from somebody that changed to sport seats.

Jim
very helpful thanks jim!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
blf1
Private
Rep

Huge Diff

Quote:
When you say "huge difference" you are talking about the seats and suspension, thats all? Im not interested in the shadow line trim that comes with the sport package, i prefer the chrome on a black BMW (see attached pict of my car). The 2012 128i comes with 17in sport wheels standard now and I can always upgrade the suspension if someone answers my original question lol. and the seats might be more supportive but doubt thats a deal breaker. please clarify what "huge difference" means?
You left out the DCT as well as the paddle shifters and sport mode! I personally can't stand chrome wheels (mine are the double spoke). As far as the seats go, I've only driven bmw's with sport buckets since my first bimmer in 06.. Any other questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
the1andonly
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You left out the DCT as well as the paddle shifters and sport mode! I personally can't stand chrome wheels (mine are the double spoke). As far as the seats go, I've only driven bmw's with sport buckets since my first bimmer in 06.. Any other questions.
I totally agree on the chome wheels, mine are silver, came with the 17s OEM DCT is not part for the sport package for the 128i....I went manual... I still believe far above seats and suspension a manual trans is the ultimate sport option on any BMW
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
2012_135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
.. i prefer the chrome on a black BMW (see attached pict of my car).
Agree the chrome accenting on your car really looks good. I prefer it to complete black as well. Sometimes cars that are all black (body, bumpers, trim, wheels, everything) kinda lose their lines and you have to look twice to identify the make and model. Conversely, the shadowline trim on my AW 135i looks awesome, especially with the black interior. I'm still wrestling with whether to get the all black kidneys. I think they'd look great with the shadowline trim but my wife likes the chrome accenting on the grilles as they are. She does have a point from a "classy" look perspective, but the high gloss all black kidneys are still talking to me.
      01-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
There is no DCT option on the OP's 128.

I've owned 5 Bimmers, two with the sport package and three without. Given the current state of potholes in my area, the stiffer ZSP suspension is of questionable value. And I've found both sport and standard BMW seats to be very comfortable - especially on extended coast to coast trips. The main advantage of the sport seats is the better support when enjoying twisty mountain roads.

OP - congrats on your new car; enjoy!

Tom
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #16
2012_135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

the1andonly,

What really looks nice on your 2012 the way it's configured is the white eyebrows on the headlights. Very striking with the all black and chrome accents. I was at first a little hesitant about BMW adding the eyebrows on the '12 models, but I'm liking them more and more. They look really nice on my AW as well.
      01-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #17
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4, X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

Having had a bunch of BMWs over the years, both sport and non sport equipped. The seats for my behind are much nicer in sport variety. Much better lateral support and longer thigh support as well. I always find i have it fully extended. It fits my frame perfect.

The non sport seats are as good as most other seats on the market, but the sport are really bmw signature. For me 5'10 200 lbs I find them nearly always just right. The only thing i don't like about the 1 is the lack of an adjustable headrest for fore and aft. All of my other cars with sport seats have had it.

Also the boston is the hardest leather i've had in a BMW. It will probably last forever, but that doesn't help me any...
      01-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #18
blf1
Private
Rep

Manual Trans

Quote:
I totally agree on the chome wheels, mine are silver, came with the 17s OEM DCT is not part for the sport package for the 128i....I went manual... I still believe far above seats and suspension a manual trans is the ultimate sport option on any BMW
I totally agree that a manual trans is the ultimate sport option. I wanted a manual trans but they are damn near impossible to find. The paddle shifters are a very very close second. Having the auto in heavy in town traffic is a nice thing to have.
Appreciate 0