BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-02-2008, 06:29 AM   #23
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

I agree the 135i is not an attractive looking car. I also am not buying this car for looks or automotive art...I have others for that! In fact one of the reasons this car is attractive to me is because it does not look too flash.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #24
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleA View Post
I hope this is not a repost! Here ya go...

*Notice the interesting remarks regarding the 135i and Sti.

2008 BMW 135i

Jun 26, 2008
2008 BMW 135i: Now THAT'S a lot of motor

More and more cars are making dizzying power numbers these days, yet few stand out in my mind as being really eye-openingly fast. Our long-term BMW 135i is one of those few. I hadn't really put it the car through its paces until last night, when I snagged the keys and headed for the canyons. Quite simply, this is a lot of motor for such a diminutive car.

Sounds great too -- the exhaust note is throaty yet refined, encouraging windows-down throttle-blipping at every opportunity. Notably, there's no discernable turbo whistle or any other audible indication that you're driving a turbocharged car. There's just the typical inline-6 smoothness that you'd find in a 128i, along with an absolute truckload of torque from just off idle. I think I like this motor more every time I experience it.

Incidentally, an interesting 135i-vs.-STI debate has been raging over at Erin's recent STI post. Here's two cents from my bully pulpit. If you need a fifth seat, or all-wheel drive, or the ability to haul a bunch of stuff, then the STI is the no-brainer choice. But if you don't, consider the following: (1) though the STI's rated at 305 hp, you don't really get that heady turbo rush until about 3,000-3,500 rpm, whereas the 135i offers stupid stonk speed on demand; (2) in tight corners the 135i is frankly in a different league due to its relative lack of body roll and superior (if not quite E46 M3-like) steering feel; and (3) the 135i's clutch and shifter are a joy to operate, unlike the STI's (see Erin's opinion in her post, which I share).

Josh Sadlier, Associate Editor, Edmunds.com @ 4,697 miles

Article link for many more blogs: http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/c...at.2008BMW135i

I disagree. 400+hp would be a lot of motor for this car. The 135i engine is very smooth but 300hp doesn't even strain the tires for traction unless you do a clutch drop. It's "a lot of motor" when you can put it in 2nd gear and get slight wheelspin just by stomping the gas pedal. Of course, that assumes traction control is off.
      07-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #25
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
^^^ 6 piston caliper brakes of the 1...4thewin
I don't really buy that. 6 pistons does nothing major for sheer stopping power - swept surface, rotor thickness, torque (size/shape/etc.) , materials and cooling do far more.

I think per lbs of vehicle weight, the 135i Brembos are similarly sized with the 335i single-pistons. In both cars, you would need different pads and fluid for fast track driving and at that point, the major advantage of the 135 setup could only be better feel (helpful if you are trying to brake just on the edge of invoking the ABS).

Don't listen to all the marketing BS. A few days of track driving can quickly teach you what's important performance-wise.

The only thing so far that distinguishes 135i brakes compared to the 335 ones is the price of track pads (twice the price of 335 pads). :smile:

As I said, I definitely like the 135i, but am not blinded by any of the marketing hype.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #26
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
Why would you buy a car that you thought was ugly? Well look at the bright side...if you get a 1 it will be faster then your 335i, stop quicker and spank the 335i through the slalom. LOL /snap! We win :biggrin:

you know everytime i read something like this I have to chuckle...no one ever mentions driver skill...esp w/ a six speed....

some guys are clueless....
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #27
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

How many car can do 0-60 in 4.8 seconds? I think this car really has a big motor.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #28
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
How many car can do 0-60 in 4.8 seconds?
All Dodge/Chrysler SRT-8 models
A few Audis (S4/RS4/R8 etc.)
A variety of Benzes
A variety of Porsches
Nissan 350Z, Infinity G37
A few Lexus models
Corvettes
Hyunday Genesis V8 sedan and the new Coupe
etc.

All these cars have similar or better acceleration numbers, some cost thousands less. BMW is most definitely not alone in the 300+ BHP bracket.

But none of them drive themselves, so a more pertinent question is: can YOU do 4.8sec 0-60 in your 135i?
(I tried in my 335 and all I did was roast my rear tires in an embarrasing manner).

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #29
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
All Dodge/Chrysler SRT-8 models
A few Audis (S4/RS4/R8 etc.)
A variety of Benzes
A variety of Porsches
Nissan 350Z, Infinity G37
A few Lexus models
Corvettes
Hyunday Genesis V8 sedan and the new Coupe
etc.

All these cars have similar or better acceleration numbers, some cost thousands less. BMW is most definitely not alone in the 300+ BHP bracket.

But none of them drive themselves, so a more pertinent question is: can YOU do 4.8sec 0-60 in your 135i?
(I tried in my 335 and all I did was roast my rear tires in an embarrasing manner).
No way the G37 is pulling those times. I don't believe the 350Z breaks low 5's, even with the VQ35HR. If so, it's not as consistent as the 135. Also, have the new Hyundai's been tested to confirm that, or is it still speculation?

The other models mentioned (with the exception of the Dodges) are much more expensive, thus not necessarily comparable for many people.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #30
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Yeah, get your facts straight. The only Porche, Audi, MB, Lexus, or Corvette that are going to be faster than a 135i are all going to cost you MORE not less. What fanatasy world are you living in?
      07-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #31
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaMind View Post
No way the G37 is pulling those times. I don't believe the 350Z breaks low 5's, even with the VQ35HR. If so, it's not as consistent as the 135. Also, have the new Hyundai's been tested to confirm that, or is it still speculation?

The other models mentioned (with the exception of the Dodges) are much more expensive, thus not necessarily comparable for many people.
+123213 on the 350z and infinite.... g37 breaks the 5.4 times though! w00t
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #32
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

When I did my shopping, I looked everywhere and could not find a car that could match 135's performance and at the price that I want to paid (less than 35K, actually I paid $34800 for a 135i with sport package). The only one that come close is EVO and bar none.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #33
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just read a test of the Hyunday V8 sedan in one of the mags (not sure which, the one that has the GT2/GT-R/Z06/Viper ACR group test). It makes 375 BHP on premium gas, apparently. :iono:

As for the Nissan/Infinity - they are very close, as to not matter very much in real life on the road. The new 370Z will probably be a tad faster than the 135i.

So what? Who cares? You are not buying the fastest car around, even at the $35k stripper price point. It's the overall package, and the experience, quality, feel - and the possibility and allure of running it on the Autobahn and Alpine Passes (at least for me).

Quote:
Price was not actually mentioned by the poster to whom I replied. There are in fact scores of other cars that can do this type of 0-60 for less $ - used E46 M3's, used S4's, used 335i, new/used Vettes, Evo IX, old STI etc.

So now in order to make a unique statement of how fast the 135i you'd have to come up with something like this: the 135i is one of the few new (stock) cars that can hit 0-60 in 4.8 sec and costs $35k if no options are selected.

Again, who cares? It's fun, and you can afford it - no need for ultimate statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Yeah, get your facts straight. The only Porche, Audi, MB, Lexus, or Corvette that are going to be faster than a 135i are all going to cost you MORE not less. What fanatasy world are you living in?
I live in the fantasy world where a fully loaded up 135i costs $49,370. A Corvette Coupe starts at $46,950, well within the 135i price range - and I bet Chevy has quite a few more discounts available than BMW does...

Forgot the add the Pontiac G8, Challenger and upcoming Camaro.

My points are simple:
1. You can buy cheaper cars that are at least as fast.
2. You can buy cheaper and/or similarly priced cars that are faster, or even much faster (case in point the Vette). Or cars that are such a surprise - like the freakin' Hyundai...
3. You will get burned by fat old guys like me in their stately 335i's. :biggrin:

So you can, and you will, get burned on the road by other cars that are faster. It seems I struck a nerve here - there is absolutely no reason to get defensive or even magazine-race your 1. It's a fine car, but it's not the fastest, or the best handling, or the prettiest.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 12:20 PM   #34
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4135i View Post
I disagree. 400+hp would be a lot of motor for this car. The 135i engine is very smooth but 300hp doesn't even strain the tires for traction unless you do a clutch drop. It's "a lot of motor" when you can put it in 2nd gear and get slight wheelspin just by stomping the gas pedal. Of course, that assumes traction control is off.

Breaking the wheels loose does not mean you have "a lot of motor", it means that you DON'T have "a lot of traction":iono:

About two months ago I could break loose my S2000 hitting third gear. Of course my tires were over due for new ones but still...

Putting the car in second gear, stomping the pedal on the right, and breaking loose is an American Muscle thing. Throughout history American Muscle cars could do two things really well.

1. Go fast in a straight line
2. Burn rubber

Wheelspin is fun, but bad for performance. That is why BMW engineered the 135i not to have wheelspin:thumbup:
| Alpine White | Coral | Gloss Black | Paddles | Sport | Comfort | Heated Seats | I-Pod | Performance Rotors | Shadowline Grill | GB E-Brake | GB Gear Selector | 35% Tint | BMS Intake | GP Thunders | Debaged | Bimmian Black Roundels |
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 12:23 PM   #35
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-One-Da? View Post

Breaking the wheels loose does not mean you have "a lot of motor", it means that you DON'T have "a lot of traction":iono:

About two months ago I could break loose my S2000 hitting third gear. Of course my tires were over due for new ones but still...

Putting the car in second gear, stomping the pedal on the right, and breaking loose is an American Muscle thing. Throughout history American Muscle cars could do two things really well.

1. Go fast in a straight line
2. Burn rubber

Wheelspin is fun, but bad for performance. That is why BMW engineered the 135i not to have wheelspin:thumbup:
Drive a chipped one, then report back and tell us you didn't like it.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 12:26 PM   #36
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

[quote=adc;187905]As for the Nissan/Infinity - they are very close, as to not matter very much in real life on the road. The new 370Z will probably be a tad faster than the 135i.quote]

If the specs are even close in reality the 370Z will be much faster then the 135i. It is supposed to be lighter then the current 350Z and have more power. It is going to be a beast:eyebulge:
| Alpine White | Coral | Gloss Black | Paddles | Sport | Comfort | Heated Seats | I-Pod | Performance Rotors | Shadowline Grill | GB E-Brake | GB Gear Selector | 35% Tint | BMS Intake | GP Thunders | Debaged | Bimmian Black Roundels |
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #37
I-One-Da?
That One Guy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Drive a chipped one, then report back and tell us you didn't like it.
Report back that I don't like wheelspin?:iono:

I don't need to drive a chipped one to report that. In fact I have driven a 335i Sedan with Dinan Stage 2, RR DP's and catback. It was a blast but he also put down more rubber to handle the extra power so wheelspin is still minimal.

I have also owned a 69' Camaro SS with about 480hp and 450ft.lbs so I know what wheelspin feels like. It is fun but sucks for performance.

BTW- I have a SSTT sitting at my house right now waiting for my 1er to arrive this month. I will report back then:wink:
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #38
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-One-Da? View Post
Report back that I don't like wheelspin?:iono:

I don't need to drive a chipped one to report that. In fact I have driven a 335i Sedan with Dinan Stage 2, RR DP's and catback. It was a blast but he also put down more rubber to handle the extra power so wheelspin is still minimal.

I have also owned a 69' Camaro SS with about 480hp and 450ft.lbs so I know what wheelspin feels like. It is fun but sucks for performance.

BTW- I have a SSTT sitting at my house right now waiting for my 1er to arrive this month. I will report back then:wink:
After having a car that had more grip than power (330i ZHP) which was tons of fun in its own way, I now find it interesting to drive a car with a little more power than grip. I've learned a lot about throttle control by driving the 335i and no longer treat it like an on/off switch.

Driving in the rain is especially eye-opening now.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 01:19 PM   #39
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep

Quote:
I just read a test of the Hyunday V8 sedan in one of the mags (not sure which, the one that has the GT2/GT-R/Z06/Viper ACR group test). It makes 375 BHP on premium gas, apparently. :iono:

As for the Nissan/Infinity - they are very close, as to not matter very much in real life on the road. The new 370Z will probably be a tad faster than the 135i.

So what? Who cares? You are not buying the fastest car around, even at the $35k stripper price point. It's the overall package, and the experience, quality, feel - and the possibility and allure of running it on the Autobahn and Alpine Passes (at least for me).

Price was not actually mentioned by the poster to whom I replied. There are in fact scores of other cars that can do this type of 0-60 for less $ - used E46 M3's, used S4's, used 335i, new/used Vettes, Evo IX, old STI etc.

So now in order to make a unique statement of how fast the 135i you'd have to come up with something like this: the 135i is one of the few new (stock) cars that can hit 0-60 in 4.8 sec and costs $35k if no options are selected.

Again, who cares? It's fun, and you can afford it - no need for ultimate statements.
ADC, I'm very familiar with overall package of the 135. It's not the fastest around, and I don't expect or care for it to be. You're putting words in my mouth.

Another member questioned what other cars pull 4.8 0-60, you responded with a list of cars (some of which are not applicable), and I interjected with my perspective--there are not a lot of cars with the same capabilities as the 135 that are in the same class. Although this wasn't a part of the original criteria, realistically speaking, it's important to a large amount of people.

I believe the performance difference between the G37 and 135 to be extremely perceptible. It was for me at least. The new 370Z is supposed to be a beast, but it's not out yet and shouldn't be considered in this present discussion. I've not read factual performance data about the Hyundai, but I'll keep my eyes open for the article. I also wasn't factoring in used cars due to warranty, hidden costs, etc.

My point is simple: the 135 is not the fastest/best/ultimate car, but it puts up numbers that are fairly exclusive, especially at its price point.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #40
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Another member questioned what other cars pull 4.8 0-60, you responded with a list of cars (some of which are not applicable), and I interjected with my perspective--there are not a lot of cars with the same capabilities as the 135 that are in the same class. Although this wasn't a part of the original criteria, realistically speaking, it's important to a large amount of people.
OK then. Let's take price into consideration, and narrow down the list of new cars that can keep up with the 135i or beat it in acceleration:
- Corvette
- all SRT-8 models from the Dodge/Chrysler family (Charger, Challenger, 300C, Magnum, Crossfire, Jeep)
- Mustang
- Pontiac G8
- Lexus IS350
- Hyundai (probationary)

If you look at this list, it shows that there are at least 10-11 other NEW cars that you can meet on the road that will give you a run for your money, in more ways than one.

10 other cars in the same price/performance range constitute IMO plenty of other cars to choose from. :iono:

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 02:52 PM   #41
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Let's get it straight:
Corvette, yes it is faster and perform better than 135, but you can't get a Corvette for less than 35K
SRT-8s they are priced close to 40K and it is a gas guzzler
Mustang, yes they are priced close to 35K or bleow and has about the same performance but it is in different league. A BMW shopper will not buy a Mustang and not to mention its poor gas milage.
Pontiac G8, same as Mustang and it is a gas guzzler too
Lexus IS350, it cost more than a 135 and it has lesser performance than 135.
Hyundai, a Hyundai? ask your kids and see if they like Hyundai or not. It is not as fast as 135, weight too heavy and it is a gas guzzler too. I will never look or conisder to buy Hyundai.

So, none of the cars above can compete with 135 in terms of overall performance and yield decent gas milage. Yes, at 4$ gas per gallon, you better factor in the gas milage in your equation.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #42
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep

Quote:
OK then. Let's take price into consideration, and narrow down the list of new cars that can keep up with the 135i or beat it in acceleration:
- Corvette
- all SRT-8 models from the Dodge/Chrysler family (Charger, Challenger, 300C, Magnum, Crossfire, Jeep)
- Mustang
- Pontiac G8
- Lexus IS350
- Hyundai (probationary)

If you look at this list, it shows that there are at least 10-11 other NEW cars that you can meet on the road that will give you a run for your money, in more ways than one.

10 other cars in the same price/performance range constitute IMO plenty of other cars to choose from. :iono:
1. I don't consider the corvette in the same class, and I'm assuming I don't have to elaborate on that one :wink:
2. SRT vehicles: The base price is still more than the base of the 135 by around 5k. I don't see too many people cross shopping the 300C, Jeep and the 135
3. Mustang: Yes, it pulls similar 0-60 times but gets smashed in the twisties, comfort, etc. I don't consider it in the same class, but it is a cheaper vehicle with comparable acceleration.
4. G8: see #3. Great potential with that car though. I loved the GTO, and I hate Pontiac with the intensity of 1,000 suns.
5. IS350: too luxury oriented, not enough sport. Similar price and acceleration, but I don't see a connection between a sports coupe and a luxury sedan, especially a lux sedan w/o a manual. 335 sedan and IS350 is a better match.
6. Hyudai: Not out yet, not included. I don't buy hype, I buy product.

I think we have a difference in what we consider comparable vehicles. No problem with that, but you should expect to get questioned when you throw up an arbitrary list of vehicles in an attempt to discount what the 135 does/offers.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 03:04 PM   #43
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
Let's get it straight:
Corvette, yes it is faster and perform better than 135, but you can't get a Corvette for less than 35K
SRT-8s they are priced close to 40K and it is a gas guzzler
Mustang, yes they are priced close to 35K or bleow and has about the same performance but it is in different league. A BMW shopper will not buy a Mustang and not to mention its poor gas milage.
Pontiac G8, same as Mustang and it is a gas guzzler too
Lexus IS350, it cost more than a 135 and it has lesser performance than 135.
Hyundai, a Hyundai? ask your kids and see if they like Hyundai or not. It is not as fast as 135, weight too heavy and it is a gas guzzler too. I will never look or conisder to buy Hyundai.

So, none of the cars above can compete with 135 in terms of overall performance and yield decent gas milage. Yes, at 4$ gas per gallon, you better factor in the gas milage in your equation.
Let's get it straight, indeed - this discussion was NOT about mileage - only about performance, and perhaps price in an oblique manner. If you're prepared to spend $40 grand on a car, you actually care if it gets 23mpg or 25mpg on the highway???

My 135i when built with my options stickers around $41-42k. You can definitely get a Corvette, the G8 and a bunch of the SRT-8 family for this kind of money. Loaded with everything.

If Hyundai builds a performance car that drives like a bimmer and costs well under $30k, I will join the line to buy one. And with the purchase price savings I can cover the fuel economy difference for 10-20 years... I won't ever ask my kids if they think my car is cool or desirable - he's 5, he'll tell me to go get the Mach 5 racer.

If you want to close your eyes to other possibilities, or be blinded by brand loyalty or status associations, go right ahead. As for answering directly to the title of this thread, a 400BHP Pontiac for under $40k is definitely a lot of motor. The 135i with 300BHP slightly less so.

I absolutely love how inflated the 135 owners egos are.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #44
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
1. I don't consider the corvette in the same class, and I'm assuming I don't have to elaborate on that one :wink:
If you mean the lack of rear seats, then I agree with you. If you mean some class/status/demographic conotation, then I'm going to laugh may ass off at it.

The Corvette is an absolutely cracking sports car and truly if I didn't need rear seats, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Gets better mileage too, to address another poster's concern. :smile:

Quote:
2. SRT vehicles: The base price is still more than the base of the 135 by around 5k. I don't see too many people cross shopping the 300C, Jeep and the 135
Base price may be a few grand higher, but they also come better equipped. Add Sport Package, Leather, power seats, premium audio or any other (short) list of options to the 135i and it will be right there with them, at around the $40k mark.

Quote:
4. G8: see #3. Great potential with that car though. I loved the GTO, and I hate Pontiac with the intensity of 1,000 suns.
The GXP is supposed to fulfill that potential. Anyway, it will have better acceleration, will handle decently, have a nice interior and loads of space.

Quote:
5. IS350: too luxury oriented, not enough sport. Similar price and acceleration, but I don't see a connection between a sports coupe and a luxury sedan, especially a lux sedan w/o a manual. 335 sedan and IS350 is a better match.
Again, acceleration was the main concern of the post. One other poster started being concerned about gas mileage, now you add handling to the mix - anything really just to have the 1 "win", to justify the purchase. Fine by me, I'll drink to that...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0