BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

03-31-2009, 12:36 AM   #23
wmj73
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, 440i GC

Garage List
2008   [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
Looking at those pictures, WOW. Cant believe the fitment and quality issues. Hope it all goes well for you KeithLM
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 12:44 AM   #24
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmj73 View Post
Looking at those pictures, WOW. Cant believe the fitment and quality issues. Hope it all goes well for you KeithLM
I should take some pics of my Catted DP.. it was supposed to be coated.. the fitment was so tight that alot of the coating came off.. not good at all.. seeing if anything can be done to help me too.. sent Anthony a PM.. they need to redo or relook at the fitment before producing more of some of their products..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 12:45 AM   #25
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLM View Post
There's something else I forgot to mention. In many of my conversations with Anthony and Daniel I heard the following over and over again:
  • We installed these parts on Terry Burger's car personally.
  • All the record setting cars are running our parts.
  • We've sent out hundreds of these and you are the only one to report such problems.
  • Daniel has installed this with the car on jack stands without much trouble.
I fully expect them or someone to come back with something on this list
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 12:53 AM   #26
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Let's wait till tomorrow morning to see what they do regarding this issue. I'd at least like to give em a chance to explain themselves.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 01:01 AM   #27
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
There's something else I forgot to mention. In many of my conversations with Anthony and Daniel I heard the following over and over again:
  • We installed these parts on Terry Burger's car personally.
  • All the record setting cars are running our parts.
  • We've sent out hundreds of these and you are the only one to report such problems.
  • Daniel has installed this with the car on jack stands without much trouble.
You know whats funny Keith when I was working with them on my issues.. I got most of those excuses too.. I even have them saved on my pm's... and I bet you do too..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 01:03 AM   #28
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
Let's wait till tomorrow morning to see what they do regarding this issue. I'd at least like to give em a chance to explain themselves.
Which issue? This stuff has been going on for quite a while. If there's anything they are going to address regarding my problems, they should have addressed it with me earlier.

The only thing I have outstanding with them at the moment is the refund on the catted downpipes. I fully expect to get the remaining $1100 plus shipping. At no time have I indicated otherwise. Based on what they've said I don't expect them to refund the labor as they should. But I don't think there's much that can be done about that.

I've recently moved my photos to Google's web albums. Photos can be found here, here, and here.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 01:11 AM   #29
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Well, your not the only one with the problems. I'd like to get mine resolved. I just went to an exhaust shop and they said it'd cost me 150 to fix the clearance issue on the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 01:15 AM   #30
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
Well, your not the only one with the problems. I'd like to get mine resolved. I just went to an exhaust shop and they said it'd cost me 150 to fix the clearance issue on the exhaust.
Sorry to hear about that. But I don't see what waiting until tomorrow has to do with anything when it comes to my review. The exhaust fitment is only one of many issues I addressed. The timing of my post was based strictly on when I finally had enough of the work done, and the time I had to write this review up. It has nothing to do with other problems that have been reported by other Riss customers.

I've recently moved my photos to Google's web albums. Photos can be found here, here, and here.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 03:45 AM   #31
ddtung
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I asked for a new clamp for the intake and still have not received it, two weeks after I was told they sent it.

I ordered and was charged for the full intake kit and coated catless DPs and O2 Sim on Dec. 23. The air filter was missing when the shipment finally came in and RR had to send it. And now the wait for the bracket. With all the problems I've read about the DPs I am thinking about returning them for a refund.

DDTUNG
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 08:25 AM   #32
dcafs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

The only thing I have bought from RR is their oil catch can and even with such a simple install, I had to bend their mounting bracket several times otherwise, the catch can would make contact with parts in the engine bay and had no clearance from the battery post.

Now let's see.....positive battery post terminal with a catch can rubbing up against it which is connected and grounded to the body.......hmmmmmm.

Also, upon close inspection, I noticed one of the rubber O-ring seals was torn and spent half a day wasting my time at the hardware store to replace it.

I won't buy anything from them based on what I have seen and read on these forums.

I think they are getting carried away with what they think can be created with a welding torch.

People should really pay attention to those welds on the intake system. Poor welds can leave hanging welding material on the inside of the intake which could dislodge and become a foreign object that gets sucked into your turbo compressor.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 09:24 AM   #33
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Nice, detailed write-up. This, to me, is much more informative than the "other" posts like "Yipee, I just installed RR (insert part) and now my 1er is SICK!!!!!!!!!OMG!!!!

Anyhow, what really jumped out at me was the plenum. What a piece of $hit. And what did you pay for that lovely little turd?

Sorry for all your issues, I had recommended putting everything back to stock and I think that's the only way you're going to have satisfaction.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 10:15 AM   #34
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

This was posted early this morning in another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Riss Racing View Post
Hi guys,

we are really sorry about this confusion on these threads. We have been prepping the shop All day/All night. We only had a chance to reply to emails/PM's. In regards to the exhaust not fitting, KeithLM's was the only unit which is being returned for non fitment. If this set was not completed on the jig correctly, we are not going to make him keep the product. We will test fit the system to if there are any errors with our welds on that set. It looks like our machinist used the wrong flange on the Y pipe. The holds are a few MM off so they may need to be drilled out a little bit. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused anybody and we will gladly do the modification for you at no charge. Refunded shipping and all. Please contact us directly if you need to contact us. Thanks guys!
When COBB told them about the holes being off weeks ago they were adamant they designed it this way. I had multiple discussions with Daniel and I think Anthony also about this issue and they said they designed the flange to fit the widest range of products on the market, which I pointed out didn't make sense since their downpipes used a different size that also matched stock. Now they are finally owning up to it. Why were they so stubborn? It doesn't make sense.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 10:18 AM   #35
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
Anyhow, what really jumped out at me was the plenum. What a piece of $hit. And what did you pay for that lovely little turd?

I had the same thought when I first saw the intake, but the plenum put it over the top. I kept my mouth shut thinking it might just be bad in pictures, but seems like that wasn't the case. I thought their catless downpipes looked really good, it just seems that the same care wasn't taken with the rest of the product line.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 10:20 AM   #36
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have to say, after seeing pictures of the intake fitment (even though I've seen pics of it fitting fine) are concerning.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #37
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

I'm trying to visualize Riss's response to this thread. From where I see it, they have several courses of action.

1) Fess up and appologize, refunding moneys to KeithLM for the parts and labour. Short term effect, a large initial financial loss and lost sales due to basically admitting its products are poorly made. The cure: redesign the products and offer to exchange with anyone dissatisified with their current model. Long term effect: customer good will will return after buyers recognize the company has good service and integrity, two characteristics that far outweigh a good or bad sales month.

2) Deny their products are improperly designed or manufactured but refund KeithLM to pacify the howling internet hordes. Short Term Effect: loss of consumer confidence in their products or customer service but they will avoid the expense and time penalty of redesigning their products and might still enjoy sales to people not familiar with KeitLM's experiences. Long Term Effect: probably get by just fine as a "first to market" manufacturor. They will expand to make products for new models and other marques though a bad reputation may follow them.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 10:41 AM   #38
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Z View Post
I'm trying to visualize Riss's response to this thread. From where I see it, they have several courses of action.

1) Fess up and appologize, refunding moneys to KeithLM for the parts and labour. Short term effect, a large initial financial loss and lost sales due to basically admitting its products are poorly made. The cure: redesign the products and offer to exchange with anyone dissatisified with their current model. Long term effect: customer good will will return after buyers recognize the company has good service and integrity, two characteristics that far outweigh a good or bad sales month.

2) Deny their products are improperly designed or manufactured but refund KeithLM to pacify the howling internet hordes. Short Term Effect: loss of consumer confidence in their products or customer service but they will avoid the expense and time penalty of redesigning their products and might still enjoy sales to people not familiar with KeitLM's experiences. Long Term Effect: probably get by just fine as a "first to market" manufacturor. They will expand to make products for new models and other marques though a bad reputation may follow them.
Well I have a simliar situation to KeithLM's and I've posted threads about it for and now trying to see if I can get a refund too so lets see if they will own up to this because honestly most of the people with catted downpipes are having some type of problem.. I even added a part I sent to RR why dont you take back the downpipe and do some more R&D to see what the problem was.. I am waiting for a response on this.. my problem has been going on for more then 3 months..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 10:47 AM   #39
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Image links are broken BTW.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 10:58 AM   #40
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Image links are broken BTW.
They all work for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 10:59 AM   #41
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
They all work for me.

Maybe my work connection blocking them. I'll check again when I get home. Carry on!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 11:03 AM   #42
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
I have to say, after seeing pictures of the intake fitment (even though I've seen pics of it fitting fine) are concerning.
Well when you have the filter on, you can't tell where the end of the intake is. And if you have old bracket it's not much of a problem to get it to look good.

The main issue I have with the final placement is that the intake protrudes into the filter by at least 1.5" which means it's disrupting airflow. If it were shorter I'm sure it would flow better which would probably add just a bit more power.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 11:04 AM   #43
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Maybe my work connection blocking them. I'll check again when I get home. Carry on!
All my links have :8000 on them because of issues with my ISP. Some filters block urls like that.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 11:14 AM   #44
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All my links have :8000 on them because of issues with my ISP. Some filters block urls like that.

Yeah that's probably what it is. This place has some insane security stuff in place. It's not the first time it's happened. I'll take another look when I get home.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread