BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-11-2013, 12:38 AM   #23
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Derple View Post
I disagree. If your getting abs as you turn in then you're leaving too much of your braking too late. That it helps you turn the car while you are grenading the brake pedal is because abs is a safety device designed to allow some control under braking, but this isn't the way to drive fast. If youre getting abs when you turn in then youre getting a push and we know how fast that is. For this reason I don't think you want abs coming on sooner for race cars. I prefer no abs at all because it is just another thing to manage when driving.
Well first of all I'm not saying that I intentionally aim to turn-in under abs. You don't need to explain to me how tires that have already exceeded their grip levels in a straight line won't turn a car. That's day 1 stuff. It's ok though, it's tough to know when to give someone the benefit of the doubt over the internet.

Yes, ABS is a safety device to allow some control under braking. How does it do that? It adjusts brake pressure to keep the tire just below the point of lock up. Simply, it raises the margin before exceeding grip. This is what gives the tires the ability to turn the car in even when I f*ck up, which is what I pointed out in my first post. You can manipulate the system to provide grip in weird situations. How many cars have you driven where the ABS system is easily adjustable?

I should have made it more of a point to how specific the abs trick is. It is also very driver dependent, but I have seen telemetry of this and it did shift a small portion of G laterally.
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Last edited by Sauce; 01-11-2013 at 12:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #24
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Derple View Post
Sorry man I still don't understand the abs trick you're talking about, can you explain?
The simple explanation is it makes the braking threshold lower, allowing more lateral grip at the expense of braking performance.
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #25
CCC4321
Rep
Drives: 135i,Cayman S

You need stickier tires. Tire Pressure?
I am taking my stock 135i M package to Buttonwillow for the first time this Saturday with Shift Sector. To be continued - I"ll let you know how the brake work.

What Pagids were you using? I like the Yellow RS29, but Love the Blacks! initial bite is great.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #26
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCC4321 View Post
You need stickier tires. Tire Pressure?
I am taking my stock 135i M package to Buttonwillow for the first time this Saturday with Shift Sector. To be continued - I"ll let you know how the brake work.

What Pagids were you using? I like the Yellow RS29, but Love the Blacks! initial bite is great.
I was using Carbotech X16 front and XP12 rear.

Look forward to hearing about how yours behave.
      02-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #27
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

I don't know what tire sizes you are at; If you are dropping into ABS it means you are using all the available traction. So you can do 2 things. Get larger tires. or learn to back of a little at the limit of the traction. Because ABS is wasted braking.

Changing to less aggressive pads, will only drop your braking potential. if you use ton of pedal pressure and you still can't get to ABS due to your brake compound, that's a wasted braking potential.

Also, at the beginning of braking, initial brake application is the key. It is always hard to describe, assertive but increasing pedal pressure, never rushed but at the same time quick as well. That also defines the ABS threshold, it is not a static level. Keep in mind you can drop a car to ABS where sometimes even harder brake application due to its start will not.....Now when you get that 1st part down, then Modulation becomes important point.. You have to learn to modulate the brakes. You need to learn backing off so much so little that your tires will get a little break, then you can get on it. My experience, some pads are easier to modulate then others. At the end learn to play with it.

(There is also the technique and finesse of releasing the brakes which as important as initial brake application but that's out of question now, just know that it is very important.)

Oh also, while ABS is engaging, at highspeed do not try to turn...Idea is; You should be already "trailing off" the brakes when turning started so there is some traction left for turning...

I have used 245/40/R17 Square setup RS-3s on my 128 and it was perfect. Balance of the car, braking, carrying it more into the turns...Now some of you folks have almost double my horsepower...I sure hope you have a little larger tires than what I have.

Last edited by Evice; 02-01-2013 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #28
CCC4321
Rep
Drives: 135i,Cayman S

I'm back from the track, with not a lot of feedback, Stock run flats STINK! and the car need some -Camber and sway bars.
Appreciate 0