BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #45
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
This is some fascinating shit. Seems a bit Fritz over-engineered?
Totally over-engineered... Once again, the oil dipstick comes to mind.
      03-30-2015, 12:31 PM   #46
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
Totally over-engineered... Once again, the oil dipstick comes to mind.
Do other auto makers do this kind of thing? As emissions and fleet mileage requirements continue to rise, I kind of wouldn't be surprised (perhaps hopeful).
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 12:37 PM   #47
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do other auto makers do this kind of thing? As emissions and fleet mileage requirements continue to rise, I kind of wouldn't be surprised (perhaps hopeful).
Don't know about other automakers, but they're probably all heading in that direction. This is my sixth BMW in 30 years and the most Rube Goldberg-ian of them all.
      03-31-2015, 10:14 AM   #48
str8shot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 Montego Blue 135i

Quote:
This is some fascinating shit. Seems a bit Fritz over-engineered? But still fascinating. Skimmed both docs, and the one thing I'm not sure I've read is exactly *how* they unload the alternator (it's not mechanical).
My guess is the ECU commands zero volts by interrupting the current across the field winding.

That would result in zero load.
08 Montego Blue 135i Coupe // Sport Package // Custom E30 tune // str8shot bluetooth enabled ECA // Walboro 255 inline pump // BMS downpipes // VRSF 7" FMIC // Injen intake // Berk ceramic exhaust // OEM 550i clutch // MFactory single mass flywheel // Vorshlag camber plates // Hotchkis FSB // Turner adjustable drop links // AST 5100 coilovers // Hawk HPS pads // Ti backing plates // Stoptech stainless brake lines // Turner 15mm spacers
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 10:44 AM   #49
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Honda has been doing this for a while as well. They are finally starting to get it right.

SOOOOOOOOO many dead batteries on 1-2 year old cars.

One thing I like that they have started to do is to install one way clutches on the alternator pulley. Alternator keeps spinning at a higher speed after you let off the gas. Allows the engine to be more responsive as an added bonus.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 11:45 AM   #50
AForceNinja
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
guys you dont need to lay flat your rear seats. you do know there are battery posts under the hood right?
      04-04-2015, 11:36 AM   #51
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Then how do you explain why my battery died in about three years time?

And as I've mentioned in other threads, the E36 that I owned for 18 years only had to have the battery replaced once.

Is that how you come to a scientific conclusion? Use ONE example and then draw your conclusion? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. My battery is from 2007. I tested it the other day with the BMW approved Midtronics Battery Tester. It is at greater than 50% life. 8 years, 83,000 miles.

My dad's 2012 135i needed a battery at 7,000 miles. A cell went bad. Battery cells go bad, parts go bad, and guess what? BMW doesn't manufacture the battery.

Unlike your incredibly small sample size, I see 10 BMWs a day, every day. Lots of cars built in the mid-2000s still have their original batteries in them. This is because the power management system is superior and it works.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 11:39 AM   #52
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, actually... very serious. And quite far from ignorant. My issue is not with the car's power management, but rather with BMW's expectation that I visit my dealer and pay $600 and lose a day of my life for the privilege. I should be able to register a new battery easily and without additional expense (put this on the stalk).
$600 for a battery in a 1er? Your dealer is bad, or you're exaggerating.

If you think you can register a battery with the stalk, you are ignorant of the power management system and do not understand how it works. There is more to battery registration than pressing a reset button. New battery details must be taught-in as factory components have changed. Without an appropriate baseline, the system cannot work properly.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2015, 03:43 PM   #53
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenus View Post
$600 for a battery in a 1er?
If you want to see my $636.73 bill from the stealership, I'll scan a copy for you to see.

My brother suggested that I should declare this on my 2015 income taxes as a loss from theft...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #54
methodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 Le Mans 135i Vert

I don't know what the battery for the 1er costs but my E90 M3 battery was $600 from the dealer so it wouldn't be beyond the realm of belief that it is a similar cost for the 1er. I ended up going to an indie shop for $325 installed and coded. I think the cost of the battery alone is like $275. If you wanted to go real cheap I think you can pick up any old auto zone battery that fits for like $125. I know of others who've done that though I don't know if that's a good idea. Maybe someone can chime in.

I do notice when I am standing near my car for a car wash or smoking a cigarette that I hear the car making noises like it's doing something. So when I park my car I try to keep the keys as far away as possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 04:35 PM   #55
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by methodz View Post
I don't know what the battery for the 1er costs but my E90 M3 battery was $600 from the dealer so it wouldn't be beyond the realm of belief that it is a similar cost for the 1er. I ended up going to an indie shop for $325 installed and coded. I think the cost of the battery alone is like $275. If you wanted to go real cheap I think you can pick up any old auto zone battery that fits for like $125. I know of others who've done that though I don't know if that's a good idea. Maybe someone can chime in.

I do notice when I am standing near my car for a car wash or smoking a cigarette that I hear the car making noises like it's doing something. So when I park my car I try to keep the keys as far away as possible.
From what I gather, you should lock the car once you've exited, else the battery continues to get drained, because it expects that you're going to start it up again. That's not mentioned anywhere in the owners manual.
      04-04-2015, 05:32 PM   #56
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
From what I gather, you should lock the car once you've exited, else the battery continues to get drained, because it expects that you're going to start it up again. That's not mentioned anywhere in the owners manual.
In early March when I realized my battery wasn't going to live past 18 months, I started locking the doors even though the car overnights in my garage. Locking the doors seems to cut power to the radar detector immediately, which suggests other loads or potential drains may also be eliminated. Not sure that simply taking the key fob out of range of the car is telling the car to go to sleep... as you mention, it seems to remain in a dormant yet ready mode unless you lock the doors.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #57
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

Quote:
$600 for a battery in a 1er? Your dealer is bad, or you're exaggerating.

If you think you can register a battery with the stalk, you are ignorant of the power management system and do not understand how it works. There is more to battery registration than pressing a reset button. New battery details must be taught-in as factory components have changed. Without an appropriate baseline, the system cannot work properly.
Two posts from you in this thread and very condescending. Don't be that guy. And, actually, I can register the same battery simply by pressing a button... on my little AutoEnginuity Service Reset Tool ($145 shipped, and still a hell of a lot less expense than paying a dealer to do it). Change battery types, and more programming is needed... we all understand that.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #58
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVU View Post
In early March when I realized my battery wasn't going to live past 18 months, I started locking the doors even though the car overnights in my garage. Locking the doors seems to cut power to the radar detector immediately, which suggests other loads or potential drains may also be eliminated. Not sure that simply taking the key fob out of range of the car is telling the car to go to sleep... as you mention, it seems to remain in a dormant yet ready mode unless you lock the doors.
That's interesting! And that might actually mirror my experiences with the car (just never really gave it a lot of thought). Headed to my garage now to lock it
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #59
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's been my point of contention with the stealership, but they refuse to consider it a warranty issue... There's someone in new Jersey with a similar battery issue who's trying to get a class action lawsuit started against BMWNA...I'm keeping my eye on that.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 06:20 PM   #60
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I always lock my car when leaving it. In or out of the garage. Just habit.
      04-04-2015, 07:11 PM   #61
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Two posts from you in this thread and very condescending. Don't be that guy. And, actually, I can register the same battery simply by pressing a button... on my little AutoEnginuity Service Reset Tool ($145 shipped, and still a hell of a lot less expense than paying a dealer to do it). Change battery types, and more programming is needed... we all understand that.
Dealing with people that think the power-management system and lack of a dip-stick are "over-engineering" is very frustrating. People that do not understand these cars are ok, but those that stubbornly choose not to are just annoying. You also stated at the start of this thread that the car "never really goes to sleep". I posted actual test data from a parasitic draw test I did on a 1 series that contradicts your claim. I'm not condescending, I'm an excellent source of information.

You may know the car needs more data for different batteries, but does the average consumer? Joe 328i buys an Interstate 1200CCA 120 AH battery for his base 328i, jams it in, and hits the "battery reset button". Now you have a pretty dangerous situation, a variable alternator charging an overpowered battery. This will lead to shortened battery life and the potential of the battery boiling/blowing up. Dangerous situation. You cannot have a "battery reset" button on these cars.

My dealer does not charge $600 for an E82 battery. They are non-agm and easy to access. Should land around $400-500.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 07:17 PM   #62
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The car will go to sleep as long as all doors, the hood, and trunk are closed. Locking has nothing to do with it. Keep the key fob away from the car if you have comfort access.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 07:18 PM   #63
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You may know the car needs more data for different batteries, but does the average consumer? Joe 328i buys an Interstate 1200CCA 120 AH battery for his base 328i, jams it in, and hits the "battery reset button". Now you have a pretty dangerous situation, a variable alternator charging an overpowered battery. This will lead to shortened battery life and the potential of the battery boiling/blowing up. Dangerous situation. You cannot have a "battery reset" button on these cars.

My dealer does not charge $600 for an E82 battery. They are non-agm and easy to access. Should land around $400-500.
All BMW batteries are AGM. And you are right about putting it on the stalk, I just miss my timing light and dwell-tach
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 07:22 PM   #64
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
All BMW batteries are AGM. And you are right about putting it on the stalk, I just miss my timing light and dwell-tach
All BMW batteries are not AGM. Some E82 batteries even have a "magic eye" because they are lead-acid.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #65
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

Any BMW with intelligent alternator control has an AGM battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 11:31 PM   #66
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The car will go to sleep as long as all doors, the hood, and trunk are closed.
Where is the switch/sensor that knows that the hood is open? I don't think there is one.

Quote:
Locking has nothing to do with it.
That's not what the service advisor told me.

Last edited by bmw1racer; 04-05-2015 at 02:01 AM..
Appreciate 0