BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-17-2015, 12:00 AM   #133
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
This comment is not meant to bash the GT4 at all, in fact I'd give my left nut for one, but it sounds like the engine is missing that last 5-10% that makes the flat six sound so intoxicating. Now I don't expect to hear the banshee howl that can only come from a mezger spinning 9,000 RPMs, but it sounds a bit flat compared to the 991 carrera s. It's almost as though the GT4 never quite reaches full song. Am I the only one with this impression?
Totally agree that it is missing that maniacal symphony above 8k rpms. Then again, that's what the naysayers said about the 1M and its relatively prosaic engine compared to an S65 ... And I can't say that it is the dealbreaker I initially thought it might be. I'll see your left nut and raise you my right kidney ...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 01:58 AM   #134
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep

My want is strong after seeing this vid with chris harris, it is a special car for sure, very pure indeed, more so than the gt3.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:20 AM   #135
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRSTM
My want is strong after seeing this vid with chris harris, it is a special car for sure, very pure indeed, more so than the gt3.
It's an incredible car for sure, but more pure than a GT3? Not sure I'd go that far...
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2015, 09:10 AM   #136
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRSTM
It's an incredible car for sure, but more pure than a GT3? Not sure I'd go that far...
It has manual gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #137
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf
It has manual gearbox.
Guess it just depends what your definition of pure is. To me it's more than just the transmission.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #138
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf
It has manual gearbox.
Guess it just depends what your definition of pure is. To me it's more than just the transmission.
I think Chris Harris sums it up pretty well in that it's incredible for what it is, but it misses the target slightly, for what it could/should have been.

Rear wheel steering and PDK are fantastic technologies, but they're computer aided, driver-intermediating technologies. The more of those present in a car, the less "pure" in my mind.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #139
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Others have pointed it out before but it's uncanny how it reflects the spirit behind the 1M. Total parts bin mutt whose performance is more than a mere sum of its parts, from suspension bits to the "meh" engine.

I always thought that the non-screamer of an engine in the 1M would bother me and make me regret not going for an E9x M3 but I can't say that I've ever felt deprived. Would I like a more distinctive engine sound? Yes. Have I actually felt deprived without it? Not so sure.

A number of the folks on rennlist talk about picking up a GT4 (in addition to the GT3 they already have) to use as a daily driver with no plans to use on the track. To each their own, but sheesh!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 05:57 PM   #140
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

I gave up my allocation yesterday, decided I couldn't give up the 1m(no chance at both) after all the modding I've done and at the end of the day it's hard to match the fun of a roughly 500 hp 1m. I picked up a 99 Carrera in great shape to spread my miles over two cars instead. Then this video comes out today, wtf 😢, so torn.
      03-20-2015, 11:10 AM   #141
ajshanny
First Lieutenant
Rep

I put a deposit down about a week ago. I'm number 4 on the dealer's list and the dealer has only received an allocation for one car so far. It's a small dealer so I knew they would not get many cars but hearing that only one has been allocated so far is disappointing. They would have to get another 3 cars for me to get one, which seems sort of unlikely in light of the short supply that is expected. It seems to be the same story at all the dealers. While some will get more cars their lists are usually longer than the small dealers. I wish knew one way or the other though. I was thinking about buying suspension for my 1M, but don't want to sink money into it if I end up selling in the case that I am lucky enough to get a GT4.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #142
travestyevo
Rep
Drives: EVO

i like it.
/<
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 10:11 PM   #143
gessinc
Bimmer Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe BS

Garage List
I give a deposit for one GT4 today! I'm hoping to get it before year end. But I'm thinking in also keep my 1M is to good to let her go.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #144
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

More 'on the street' GT4 pictures:
http://www.autogespot.nl/porsche/981...spottype=photo
      04-07-2015, 07:19 PM   #145
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

The Cayman GT4 is a very nice car but unfortunately it also has to compete with its older GT brothers from the 997 era.

One example is recent check on car sales sees that I can get a 2008 550hp 997 GT2 that does the Ring in 7.32 for roughly 25% more money.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #146
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
The Cayman GT4 is a very nice car but unfortunately it also has to compete with its older GT brothers from the 997 era.

One example is recent check on car sales sees that I can get a 2008 550hp 997 GT2 that does the Ring in 7.32 for roughly 25% more money.
I understand your logic, but I am not sure that I would personally make that comparison. The GT4 is already very expensive. 25% more for a gt2 that is out of warranty and has certainly been ragged on by previous owners, no thanks. I can only imagine what it must cost to maintain a 7 year old gt2. Don't get me wrong I would love to own one. I had a brief ride in one a few years back and it was breathtaking. But I will take the gt4 and its warranty thank you very much.

@ roughly the same price point as the gt4 you could get yourself a nice 997.1 gt3. That seems like a better comparison to me. Personally, I would go with a 996 gt3 and pocket the savings for maintenance. The 996 seems like it would be plenty, for me at least.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:23 AM   #147
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post

maintaining a 2nd hand 997 GT2 will cost you waaaaay more than 25% over the price of a GT4. There's a reason why those depreciate like sinking ships....because it's like having the worst of all worlds, maintenance-wise.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #148
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

After looking over the new C7 Z06 w/ the Z07 package and the news that the Focus RS is coming to the states I'm in a holding pattern on the GT4.

While I'm sure it will out perform these options in terms of class, fit and finish, and overall handling. I'm not sure it will out perform them for the money as the rumored Z06 / Z07 nurburgring are insane and the Focus RS will be 1/3rd the price. Mostly I'm looking for track performance out of my second car and it looks like perhaps the GT4 might be bested even before it rolls off the production line.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2015, 12:05 PM   #149
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

I've got a July GT4 build on the way.

Obviously a pretty different car than the 1M, though kindred spirits in many ways. I expect I'll miss sliding the tail around- the GT4 is relatively underpowered for its traction and the unsophisticated rear suspension doesn't like being over the grip limit in my experience.

On the other hand the immediacy and precision will be on another level, and the fact that the GT4 is built for the track put it in another class vs the 1M or really any BMW:
  • Fully adjustable suspension- camber, swaybars, etc.
  • Possibly the most over-braked production car in history.
  • Far stronger uprights, wheel bearings and sub-frames vs the regular Cayman.
  • Upgraded cooling, etc.
  • Warranty covers track use.
Take notes BMW- I'd like to see you offer at least a couple cars that can match this list at some point. Popping charge pipes, lack of camber adjustment, etc is embarrassing, particularly when the fix isn't that hard. BMW makes great street cars, but as long as they are too fragile for real track work you'll be sending some of your most hardcore customers down the autobahn to Stuttgart when the time comes. Something to ponder for the future, as much as I love the brand...
      05-26-2015, 12:12 PM   #150
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post

Obviously a pretty different car than the 1M, though kindred spirits in many ways. I expect I'll miss sliding the tail around- the GT4 is relatively underpowered for its traction and the unsophisticated rear suspension doesn't like being over the grip limit in my experience.

On the other hand the immediacy and precision will be on another level, and the fact that the GT4 is built for the track put it in another class vs the 1M or really any BMW:
  • Upgraded cooling, etc.
Take notes BMW- I'd like to see you offer at least a couple cars that can match this list at some point. Popping charge pipes, lack of camber adjustment, etc is embarrassing, particularly when the fix isn't that hard. BMW makes great street cars, but as long as they are too fragile for real track work you'll be sending some of your most hardcore customers down the autobahn to Stuttgart when the time comes. Something to ponder for the future, as much as I love the brand...
Yep, slap some track pads on a Porsche and it's pretty much ready to go.

Many more modifications are required on a BMW to really get it ready for the track.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:31 PM   #151
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:

Was very close to getting one, but then a female voice said: "I would be really disappointed if you'd order that car".

So, exit the Cayman GT4...
      05-26-2015, 01:45 PM   #152
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
[*]Warranty covers track use.
it specifically says it covers track use??

so are you selling your 1M?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 02:19 PM   #153
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
it specifically says it covers track use??
We haven't seen the specific wording for the US version yet (deliveries haven't started) but the GT3 and GT4 both come with a track manual. The GT3's explains that if you follow those guidelines you will be covered- every other Porsche says that track use may void the warranty. So yea, pretty big deal...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
so are you selling your 1M?
Unless I can convince my girlfriend to drive it... I already have three cars, she has two, and we only have three spots at the house, which would mean the 1M would need to go into long term storage. Better to let it be free...
      05-26-2015, 05:03 PM   #154
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

I've been stalking this car. Curious to know how you spec'd it.
Congrats on the allocation.

Quote:

• Upgraded cooling, etc.
Appreciate 0