BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #67
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Hoping to get some updates today.

R.
      11-06-2009, 07:50 PM   #68
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

I want that last SS tip Whisper. PM me. Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 09:05 PM   #69
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

MadDad Midpipes

Hi guys,

Some great news. We've finally got the pricing worked out on our catless midpipe. Now remember, the special feature of this pipe that is different from everything currently on the market is that it will be packing two mini resonators(mini mufflers) that sit right were the factory cats would be, and we've sized them to be as similiar to the factory cats as possible. From a visual inspection standpoint if someone were looking under you car these would most likey be mistaken for cats. It will be built to the same standand as our axleback section meaning it is 100% U.S. grade T304SS including the flange and it will be hand TIG welded throughout. In keeping with our continued introductory pricing to help promote our brand in the BMW world, the regular price will be $649.95. But wait....order it with your axleback for $599. Did you already buy a MadDad axleback...well your price is $599 as well. Now something to remember here is the fact that you have two small resonators. Go price shop and find another full downpipe back system that is built to the same quality using all T304SS, TIG welded throughout, and includes a resonated midpipes...your looking at about $1600+ vs $1248 here . I've seen other GBs for more than this without the resonators in the midpipe(which typically add another $200 to other systems) and keep in mind these resonators are being custom made to appear like the factory cats. These little details are what made MadDad one of the more respected names in Subaru exhausts and as time passes we know you BMW folks will be appreciating this as well.

We have a high degree of confidence that we will have a one-off of this unit done next week. It will get shipped to me to install on my personal car for fitment and testing..just as was done with the axleback. You know that is an important point. We tested our axleback over a 4 month period before we ever sold it. We made 3 different revisions to the axleback before it was released and along the way every one of those was installed on my car for testing. We delayed the carbon fiber tip options because I wanted to have more than just a week of road testing to see how the tips held up, and for our new midpipe, they will have to pass my ear to make sure we dial in the right sound before it gets released. We hand make the resonators which means we can make things louder or quiter to our requirement. I am massively passionate about the parts we make. They are made for my car and my adult taste and that is reflected in the sound. Our axleback alone is noticable and adds much needed sound character but is probably the quietest axleback on the market, but will pass the wife or significant other test when it comes to how it sounds inside the cabin. When you go beyond the axleback things no doubt get louder in the cabin and meaner outside the car(in a good way). Personally, I think a set of mini resonators is mandatory for this car. We've used vast amounts of experience in the engineering of our axleback to mitigate the dreaded drone, but any hint of drone, even in the factory axleback, is going to be multiplied many times over when you add a set of catless midpipes that do not have resonators. There is just no way an axleback alone can do it with this car.. not by my ear, and my ear says the factory axleback drones. We were made famous in the Subaru world for engineering exhaust systems that do not need resonators yet still maintain incredible sound character inside the cabin of the car. When I bought my 135i with the factory exhaust I thought the thing was droning from the factory. That's how anal I am with this stuff. So trust me folks...you want to buy a full catback that has resonators in the mid pipes, there is no getting around it on this car unless your like my buddy Brad who just loves it loud , no offence buddy ....and to be fair there are plenty of folks that do like it that way. There are plenty of existing pipes you can buy that satisfy that requirement. We're not a "me too" company so we wanted to make our product different and for a good reason. I'm rambling on now folks....yes I am very passonate about these products, but you'll appreciate that everytime you hit the start button and drive.

Recap on pricing:

$649.95(SS tips) axleback...we will continue this introductor pricing through end of the year, with $749 being the regular price.

$599 for the resonated intermediate pipe when bought with the axleback, $649 for anyone else looking to purchase it as a one-off to use with their exhaust axleback...be it stock or anyone elses bolt-on. We expect to be able to start delivering these tail end of November or early December assuming the prodcut gets my blessing on first pass.

We will be updating our ecommerce system and entire website over the next week. I will post direct part # and links to order pre-order online shortly. The axleback has always been up on our current site to order securely.(www.daddysscp.com)

Folks, please remember one more thing. When we take a pre-order or a back order, we DO NOT CHARGE YOUR CC. We don't expect any of you to finance our business. The worst case scenario you will ever have is that you are charged maybe one week before the item ships. Normally you are charged and the product ships within 1-2 days later but there are few cases where this is as much as a week...and that is the worst case. I say this because I have been around on the auto forums as a vendor for almost 7 years now and I see how others do things. Most vendors take your money and charge you way in advance of delivering a product. We charge when the product is just around the corner from shipping. It also means you can cancel at any time without any fuss...because we never charged you to begin with.

Will update you guys later next week hopefully with news that the first unit shipped to me.

twin fed - got the PM, we've got that system for you.

R.

Last edited by maddad; 11-07-2009 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #70
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Rich-

I just ordered itCan't wait to get it. Everything you have said and what others who already have it have said, is what I want!!! Thanks again.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #71
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Ohhhh....midpipes *drool*....gotta save some of these TDY ducketts!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #72
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Ohhhh....midpipes *drool*....gotta save some of these TDY ducketts!
I hear you there. My last bit of per diem went to Nitto Invo's all around.
      11-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #73
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

As a heads up, my plan is to get a baseline dyno with just the performance axleback section, install the mids, then dyno again. Obviously it would be better if I had a baseline with the bone stock car but I was just too excited last December when I got our first prototype axleback in.

Actually, if anyone is interested I could give an extra special deal to someone with a bone stock car if they can supply a bone stock dyno and follow up dyno with the full system...I would want dynos same day, same day dyno. Basically make arrangements with your local shop of choice...get baseline, install exhaust, dyno again. The details for this are simple. I'll charge you regular price and when I get the supporting dynos and pics from the install/dyno I will credit your CC back a given amount...that I will dream up between now and the time one or a bunch of you PM me

Rich
      11-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #74
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Rich, count me in on the mid pipes...
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #75
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Order placed for full cat back with black ceramic tips! Rich's great customer service and his commitment to quality won me over (was shopping around with a few other exhausts). I have the utmost confidence ordering from Rich. Now comes the hard part, the WAIT!!! Planning on lots o' pics and video clips (with microphone separation), its going to be a long couple weeks!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #76
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Rich-

Just checking to see on the status of my exhaust. Can't wait. Please let me know.

Justin

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #77
kirby135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

are u going to offer downpipes as well? so a full turboback exhaust for 135i.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #78
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Any pics of the midpipes yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #79
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Pictures and sound clip with the mid-pipes please.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #80
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

twin fed - PM'd you.

It's going to be a least a couple weeks before mids get installed on my car. First off, the one-off set isn't done yet. The hope was for them to ship to me tomorrow but one critical piece that sourced(the collector) hasn't arrived yet so it might not ship till Friday/Monday based on an update I got earlier today. I'm also waiting for my new camera to ship. It a new model that was suppose to ship end of October...but much like these exhaust parts it's delivery has been pushed out. I'll pop an update in this thread every few days if not sooner. We're making the cut over our updated ecommerce site in the next few days for anyone that would want to pre-order to get in the front of the line. I'll have a coupon code for all you guys that already bought an axleback so you'll get the discounted price on the midpipe.

Downpipes are not in the plans yet. There are a couple on the market that appear to be pretty good and I'm not sure what we might do differently. On the one hand it's nice to get a full exhaust setup from a single brand, but on the other hand I'm not a huge fan of "me too". If we can't offer something that is a better value or has some distinguishing feature then we usually just leave it alone. I'm not ruling it out longer term but I we don't have anything planned currently.

R.
      11-11-2009, 07:27 AM   #81
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Thanks. Got it.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #82
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Will the added resonator restrict the flow a little bit or it just help to smooth out the sound wave?
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #83
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for the updates Rich, can't wait to hear the catback setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 09:44 PM   #84
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Some updates:

My135 - these are two small resonators, straight through, which should make no measurable difference on a dyno vs. no resonators.

There were delays last week getting the one-set of midpipes for show and tell. The collector section was subbed out. Good news is, it was done today and the shop will have it in their hands tomorrow so the one-off set for show and tell should be shipping to me by end of this week(so I'm told).

Second, we've been out of axleback sections for the past week now, but should have more in stock in about 2 weeks. When you place an online order you are NOT charge a penny. We charge your card when the exhausts are scheduled to be completed and shipped. This means typically a day or two before they ship.

Last good news bit is that my new car video camera shipped so I should be able to take some great additional videos to post in the very near future.

R.
      11-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #85
wu2x
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Any updates on the midpipes? Are they installed now? Inquiring minds want to know!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 12:00 AM   #86
335xiRT1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

awaiting midpipes....cash in hand
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 09:07 PM   #87
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm as axious as all of you since I get to put the first set on my car - I call the shop every other day. I was out of town last week and could not harrass them. Update today is they did not ship Friday and will not ship until Wednesday. I know this like a soap opera. I have learned over the past number of years that trying to give a date for when one the "first of anything" will ship is definately like winning the lottery. I'll keep everyone posted. I'll be harrassing our fab shop Wednesday again. On a good note, my new GoProHD camera came in and I'll be seeing if I can get some better clips of just the axleback section in the next few days.

and finally, axleback sections will be available again next week. SS tips first, ceramic coated mid to late week, and finally the Carbon Fiber tipped units will be available 2nd week of December.

R.

Last edited by maddad; 11-23-2009 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 09:36 PM   #88
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Thanks for the update Rich, the middle of next week cannot come soon enough!
Appreciate 0